PDA

View Full Version : Captain K should be available friday...

Brandon Wheatkings
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Final medical clearance awaits, but Captain K appears to be close to returning to the lineup for the Brandon Wheat Kings.
Overage left-winger Tim Konsorada was back on the ice in practice Wednesday and may be ready to go Friday night when Brandon battles the Calgary Hitmen in the opening game of the WHL Eastern Conference semifinal at the Keystone Centre at 7:30 p.m. The best-of-seven series opens with Games 1 and 2 in Brandon Friday and Saturday, before shifting to Calgary for Games 3 and 4 next week.
Konsorada suffered a shoulder injury in the Wheat Kings' second-last game of the regular season three weeks ago and missed the entire first-round playoff series against the Moose Jaw Warriors, with Brandon prevailing in five games. Calgary also eliminated the Lethbridge Hurricanes in five games in their series.
"I'm getting very excited," said Konsorada, who finished tied with Vancouver's Gilbert Brule for third overall in WHL scoring this season with 29 goals and 87 points in 71 games. "I sat out the first round and it was very tough to watch, so I'm really excited to play."
Konsorada tested the shoulder in a brief skate Tuesday and engaged in his first practice Wednesday and hopes to get the thumbs-up from the team doctor today to return to full duty.
"Everything is starting to feel a lot better and it's starting to feel really good and it's just getting my confidence again," said Konsorada, who was tied with 59-goal scorer Eric Fehr in Wheat Kings scoring versus the Hitmen in the regular-season with two goals and seven points in the four-game series. "I'm just going to see how everything goes the rest of the week and hopefully every feels good."
Wheat Kings head coach/general manager Kelly McCrimmon remains hopeful, but said it's unclear whether Konsorada will be ready for the start of the series.
"We'll know more as the week goes on as to his availability for Friday," said McCrimmon. "... He's one of the best players in the league. He's an all-star, he's third in the league in scoring. What would he mean? He would help us in every single facet of our game, both special teams, five-on-five play, leadership, physical play. He's a very good hockey player."
Konsorada was back skating yesterday on a line with Czech centre Jakub Sindel and Fehr on right wing and would also likely return to the point on the top power-play unit, which led the league during the regular season at 24.2 per cent and continues to be the most potent power play in the WHL playoffs at 26.7 per cent.
"It will definitely be huge for us," said Fehr of Konsorada's return. "He's been moving the puck well for us all year, he's got some experience back there and it's good to have a 20-year-old back in the lineup, so that will be big for us. That will strengthen our top lines for sure when you add a guy like him that can shoot and pass like he can."
While Konsorada is close to returning, Wheat Kings centre Teegan Moore tested his sprained ankle in a short skate Tuesday, but is not expected to be ready for the start of the series.

Furback
04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
konsorada is creepy

Flathead
04-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Konsorada will be a great assest to the Wheaties when he gets back. The 10-1 hammering the other night was nothing more than Brandon not being prepared, after a series with the Warriors. Lets be serious the Saskatoon Contacts and the MJ Warriors would be a tight series. Keep it going Brandon!!