PDA

View Full Version : Massey Rankings

Bocephus
10-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyone know why these aren't updated for this year?
I really gave them more substance than the CHL Rankings.
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=whl

Bocephus
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=whl
Swift is the best according to Massey.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Ouch, the bottom 3 teams are all from the US division!

Tidball
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I like that the Blades are ranked 1st. But im confused as hell as to how he ranks them. Someone who's a little smarter wanna give me a hand?

Madcow
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Just some type of equation thats going into the computer... Really odd out of place rankings if you ask me

Chief Jeff
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
As with any computer poll you take it with a grain of salt. For one thing since Vancouver went down 3 spots despite not losing in regulation tells me this poll gives weight to winning or losing in the stupid shootouts. I don't think you can conclude anything from a shootout about a team and it should be counted much less if at all compared to a regulation win or loss.

scrunt
10-22-2008, 11:28 PM
As with any computer poll you take it with a grain of salt. For one thing since Vancouver went down 3 spots despite not losing in regulation tells me this poll gives weight to winning or losing in the stupid shootouts. I don't think you can conclude anything from a shootout about a team and it should be counted much less if at all compared to a regulation win or loss.

I've only glanced at the stats, but it seems the calculations factor in the calibre of the competition. It would seem logical to me that the Giants were ranked highly to begin with due to the margins of victory, but as more games were played, it became evident that the teams the Giants played were not as good as first thought, so the significance of the victories was reduced in hindsight.

But maybe I'm giving the algorithm too much credit...

Bocephus
10-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I actually give these ranking some legitimacy as I watched them all last season but this year to have the Canes ahead of the Chiefs is pretty obsurd. We have done nothing to merit a 6th place ranking. We fold to superior competition. I truely hope that doesn't stay our identity. I truely believe the beating we recieved in last years finals has played havoc with the players psyche. They seem to fold once any amount of frustration is dealt their way. Truely disappointing as a true fan of the Canes. Hopefully they can regain that swagger they had last year in the playoffs pre-finals.
These rankings do look correct for the most part I believe. Of course moving any team one or two either way would be fine too.