PDA

View Full Version : Calgary / Lethbridge Oct 10

Big Torro
10-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Unable to make the game last night, so what was lacking? By looking at the game boxscores, we had the bulk of the powerplays and we only had 8 shots after two periods?

sbtatter
10-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Given your recent history with the Hitmen, this is a surprising result. How are Calgary doing so well without Alzner, White, Galardi??

Hitmen1
10-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I haven't been able to watch the Hitmen live since the preseason but based on all the reports I have read or heard, the Hitmen are playing a very structured game in their own zone. It also helps that they have a lot of experience on the blueline. The Hitmen broadcast last night mentioned what the Hitmen are doing to the Canes in 2 games this season is exactly what the Canes did the Hitmen last year especially in the playoff series, they make it very difficult for the opposition to get several quality chances.

Bocephus
10-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I haven't been able to watch the Hitmen live since the preseason but based on all the reports I have read or heard, the Hitmen are playing a very structured game in their own zone. It also helps that they have a lot of experience on the blueline. The Hitmen broadcast last night mentioned what the Hitmen are doing to the Canes in 2 games this season is exactly what the Canes did the Hitmen last year especially in the playoff series, they make it very difficult for the opposition to get several quality chances.
Special teams are awesome for Calgary. Dominating on the PK. Thay were 41 or 42 before we scored late on a cheap goal and their PP is 2nd in the league. That alone is winning them games.
They looks incredibly good last night. It will be interesting to see how we stack up against them when we get our full compliment of players available to us and they make transactions to reduce their 5 20's. They are far better this year than I anticipated.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-11-2008, 11:53 AM
They played their system to a T last night. Thier trap and agressive puck pursuit (ala Spokane) was very tough to beat. We are missing our best puck moving and power play players (Fadden/Boychuk/Sbisa) needed to beat the trap and it showed. If we don't get Sbisa back we need to make some big changes. How about Versteeg, Sutherland and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Hickey?

moon
10-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Calgary played a very strong defensive game and got every single bounce.

The Canes really missed the offensive ability of Fadden and/or Boychuk who could have broken down the PK a lot better than the guys we have.

Ashton looked great out there individually and really controlled the puck well but he now has to work that great individual play into plays with his teammates.

The BS delay of game call to Wright to give Calgary their first PP goal didn't help either.

The Hitmen have a lot less talent this year but last night played a much better team game. Full marks to them on the win but I don't think that there was much that the Canes have to be concerned about, especially if they are going to get Boychuk, Fadden and Sbisa back.

localguy
10-11-2008, 01:30 PM
hardest working hitmen team I've seen in a long time, and played their game to a T. The call on Wright was legit, happened right in front of me, but I think it was a make up call for the bogus delay of game call on Jones in the first minute. The Hitmen out worked us, and played like they had something to prove, we didn't. I also thought the gave Bancks and Braes too much ice for their first game back, the team looked out of sorts when they were out there. Not saying they are bad, but after being out of the line up so long, it would have been nice to see them eased into the game. They were both out for the first pp, and it was awful. We had a pretty solid pp unit w/o them, and the additoin of them seemed to take away. I know they will be fine, and they are both real good players, but too much too soon imo.

hitmanfan
10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
hardest working hitmen team I've seen in a long time, and played their game to a T. The call on Wright was legit, happened right in front of me, but I think it was a make up call for the bogus delay of game call on Jones in the first minute. The Hitmen out worked us, and played like they had something to prove, we didn't. I also thought the gave Bancks and Braes too much ice for their first game back, the team looked out of sorts when they were out there. Not saying they are bad, but after being out of the line up so long, it would have been nice to see them eased into the game. They were both out for the first pp, and it was awful. We had a pretty solid pp unit w/o them, and the additoin of them seemed to take away. I know they will be fine, and they are both real good players, but too much too soon imo.
Ken Thrower (color guy) said this is the hardest working Hitmen team ever and he has been there since year 1.

moon
10-11-2008, 04:41 PM
The call on Wright was legit, happened right in front of me, but I think it was a make up call for the bogus delay of game call on Jones in the first minute.

It happened pretty close to right in front of me and it looked like a bad call in my view.

What was annoying about it was that Skilliter clearly didn't see it and Yoshida didn't recognize it either. After talking it really looked like Yoshida wasn't clear and then all of a sudden it was a penalty.

Looked like they weren't sure what happened and then decided to go with the penalty.