PDA

View Full Version : Calgary commences the beat down!

LifelongChiefsFan
04-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the score of this game. I know it's only one game, but you guys really must have been right on when you said that Calgary had underachieved all year. I don't see how they possibly could have finished in 3rd place the way they are playing now. But i guess the playoffs are the best time for your team to start clicking. So which players have really turned in up for you guys during the playoffs compared to the regular season?

Furback
04-08-2005, 08:59 PM
It doesnt surprise me the hockey genius predicted calagry would take it too brandon I still think brandon will win a game or two.

ScottyWazz
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
It's called getting a fire lit under you when your coach's job is on the line.

The best part about tonight is that EVERYONE contributed. Pushy got four helpers, Moose got credited with two goals and two helpers (though one goal will probably go to Whitey), Merks turned it on, Yeo keeps amazing me with his hardnose play.

The Wheaties got a wake-up call and I don't think they'll be too reserved to return the favour to the Hitmen. Of course, the fact of the matter is you're not going to win too many games when you get 24 penalties and give the opposition 14 powerplays.

Hitmen1
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I thought the Hitmen looked solid tonight and the large amount of power plays sure didn't hurt either. The reffing wasn't the difference in the game because the Wheaties just were awful tonight. I still think this is going 6 or 7 games and the Hitmen had better be prepared for a different Brandon team tomorrow night. The young kids all played well once again and all this playoff ice time will pay off when it these kids leading the Hitmen in the future.

Joe Hallenback
04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
The wheaties flat out stunk. One of those games were your entire team doesnt show up,no bounces go your way and just plain bad referering.

Not that Calgary didnt play well. They played a perfect road game. Came out strong got an early goal and took it to the wheaties. Played aggressive yet controlled.

The wheaties completely lost after about 9 minutes into the game. Its too bad the ref decided he was going to be the star showcase because after about the first 30 seconds I thought we would get to see 2 teams try to out muscle the other but alas 14 powerplays and what 5? powerplay Goals. Lets hope tommorrows game is called better.

ps..
also 1 reason why 15 year olds shouldnt play in the WHL. Reaves Destroying Plante in a fight. The kid was wobbling around after and barely got off the ice on his own power. I would be shocked if he doesnt have a bad concussion and is unable to play Tommorrow.

The_Vulk
04-09-2005, 04:38 AM
According to the GAME REPORT 1001029 (http://www.whl.ca/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1001029)

Powerplay Opportunities:
Brandon 0-4
Calgary 6-13

Penalty Summary:
Brandon 71 min/26 inf
Calgary 31 min/14 inf

Sure was alot of roughing and slashing calls.

10-1 the final!

All the talk before the game was not giving the opposition the man advantage, for that will surely do them in. And looking at the penalties called and the powerplay goals, I would say that prediction came true.

Mileflames
04-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Game

After the Game 1 victory Friday -- 10-1 over the home-ice Brandon Wheat Kings -- the Hitmen's mood was upbeat, not ga-ga. It's a team rule, apparently, this pulseless retrospection -- and it's there in black and white, literally, in the visitors' dressing room.

Game 2 of the best-of-seven series goes today (6:30 p.m., The FAN 960 radio, Shaw TV). If the Hitmen have their way, they'll let the Wheaties -- again -- waste their energy, their time, on intimidation or revenge (or whatever their ill-advised cause Friday may have been).

The Hitmen allowed a single goal -- Eric Fehr's second-period breakaway conversion -- and precious little else. Steven Later, a mean-spirited force on the blue-line, did have two fantastic first-period chances, but was snuffed out by goalie Justin Pogge

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=9f407b69-bcdf-4a6a-b224-80381fa0105b

The visitors scored six powerplay goals en route to a 10-1 spanking of the Wheat Kings.

Overager Shaun Landolt said the streak wasn't a factor coming into the series opener.

"You know, I heard about it and I heard we were the last team to beat them here," Landolt said.

The Hitmen powerplay clicked for the fourth time just 22 seconds later when Landolt redirected a perfect Pushkarev feed from the side of the net for a 6-0 lead.

That goal spelled the end of the night for Plante, who gave up a half dozen goals on 20 shots. The WHL rookie of the year finalist was replaced by Mike Nichol.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/04/09/989494-sun.html

RunTheGoalie
04-09-2005, 10:15 AM
It is going to be interesting to see how Brandon responds. They play a physical brand of hockey, and got killed because of it.

Obviously they are going to have the word "discipline" burned into their brains by the coaching staff, so one has to wonder if they will tone down the physical play more than they need to to avoid getting killed again?

The mental state of Brandon's goalie might be an issue as well.

I expect the Wheaties will bounce back though, and Calgary will have an extremely difficult time coming out of Brandon up 2-0.