PDA

View Full Version : Pats @ Oil Kings

nivek_wahs
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
First off I have to say that the Oil Kings colour commentator is probably one of the most biased people I have heard on the radio. For much of the first period he whined for a call every time a Pat came in contact with an Oil King. Then the Oil Kings wound up getting 9 PP's in a row and his whole attitude changed. The Oil Kings announcer is actually pretty good and calls a pretty good game. Enough about that.

I watched the game I have to say that I really didn't mind the Pats' effort. they gritted it out and it actually paid off for them. I do have to say that the Pats coaching staff need to do something about the teams penalty killing.... er.... killers. Some just don't look good out there.

Ketlo let in a weak dribbler thru the wickets which I bet he wishes he had back. Otherwise he had a good game.

Strueby's 8th of the season almost wasn't his 8th. He took a cross ice pass and had a wide open cage to shoot at. He fired a wrister and it hit the side of the cage. Flette must have been a little out of position (maybe a lot) as Strueby had nothing but time to grab his own rebound and fire it into the wide open net.

One thing that boggles my mind is how open Hricina was on his first goal of the game (and of the season). I'm not good at explaining things in "essay" form but he literally had 10 seconds to deke Flette out of his underwear. The Pats had a rush 3 on 3 (maybe 4) and that didn't look like a spectacular opportunity. Leffler and Strueby had the puck along the far wall (to Flette's glove side) and all 5 Oil Kings decided to help back check. Hricina became open and Streuby fed him a pass finished it off with a very pretty deke.

Man oh man. I like this type of game although there was little contact both teams played hard and both teams were fighting toothe and nail for this one. I was dreading the shootout but thank goodness Hricina was standing where he was when Delahey ripped a shot off of him for the winner.

I'm glad Derkatch/Perkins is doing the line shuffling like they are. They will find a line combo or 2 that will work. Weal and Eberle looked really good with Doucet last night. When they put Hricina with Strueby and Leffler that seemed to click as well.
Random player thoughts:
MacAngus didn't have a good game. I don't know if it's effort or what the deal is.... he didn't look good (maybe needs a change of scenery?).

Cerveny looked average taking 2 penalties (questionable calls but remember it is the WHL).

Delahey was good picking up 4 points (probably a career best I would imagine).

Hanson is probably one of the Pats top PK players (Doucet, Weal, Eberle and Mitchell are all good). Shows guts and determination.

Breitkreuz and Favreau played sparingly but never really shone (good or bad).

Hricina probably had his best game as a Pat last night (with his 2 goals). He looked like he belonged. Just too bad he wasn't faster.

Strueby is Strueby. Definitely not my favourite player but is starting to wear on me. He's the teams new garbage man (anyone remember Lars Pettersen? IMO a very similar player).

Note: I haven't proof read my whole post yet so if there is some question.... let me know. If I think of anything else I will post it.