PDA

View Full Version : Chorneyko Dealt to Blades

Bocephus
10-16-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.lethbridgehurricanes.com/index.php?newsid=2075&p=5&i=1
Lethbridge, AB – Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager, Roy Stasiuk, announced this morning overage forward, Adam Chorneyko, has been traded to the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for a 5th round draft pick in the 2009 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

“With the return of Mitch Fadden, we are obviously forced to meet our overage quota of three players and have fulfilled that obligation. Adam has gotten off to a tremendous start with 7 points in 8 games and even more noteworthy he’ll be missed by our organization and his teammates.”

The trade ends speculation regarding the Canes 20 year old situation brought on by Fadden’s surprise return from pro camp with Norfolk (AHL). Chorneyko tallied 29 points (7G, 22A), a career high last season and was named the co-winner of the 2007-2008 Hurricanes Community Relations Award.

“I had the opportunity to bring Adam to Lethbridge three years ago and I think our organization revitalized his WHL career.” said Stasiuk adding “We certainly want to thank A.C. and add best wishes in Saskatoon and hope he has a chance to realize a professional career upon graduation.”

The move now leaves the Canes with three remaining overage players; forward Mitch Fadden, defenseman Mitch Versteeg and Hurricanes Captain Ben Wright. Lethbridge was not bound by the WHL 20 year old cutoff date as the team had two weeks from Fadden’s date of return (Saturday, Oct.11/08) in which to make a decision on declaring their overage players.

Bocephus
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I thought we could at least get a roster player for him but in true Stasiuk fashion he is building an organization for long term success and not the one year wonder. It is frustrating as a fan to see a piece leave and no roster player be returned.

loudi94
10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Without hearing any names, I did hear there were plenty of deals on the table for Fadden, including a biggie with a US team. Obviously nothing materialized.

Bocephus
10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Without hearing any names, I did hear there were plenty of deals on the table for Fadden, including a biggie with a US team. Obviously nothing materialized.
As a fan when I hear a draft pick all I can think about is that we gave two huge years of Yellow Horn away for Reners (the 17th pick) who is 16 and still not playing in the dub. Alright, I will never mention Yellow Horn again. :thumb:
We also dealt Chorneyko to a team we are going to battle for the Conference title with. :(

sbtatter
10-16-2008, 12:31 PM
As a fan when I hear a draft pick all I can think about is that we gave two huge years of Yellow Horn away for Reners (the 17th pick) who is 16 and still not playing in the dub. Alright, I will never mention Yellow Horn again. :thumb:
We also dealt Chorneyko to a team we are going to battle for the Conference title with. :(
You're being too humble, the Blades are not near good enough to battle with you....

Bocephus
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
You're being too humble, the Blades are not near good enough to battle with you....

Have they not won 7 in a row? or are you being sarcastic about us pimping our Canes all the time? Sometimes it's difficult to tell.

localguy
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
you must have a day off today b. I don't thinnk that teams very often get roster players for 20, unless they are top enders. And don't be too quick to dismiss Renners. Fyten joined us as a 16 for playoffs, and has been great so far, and there is now a froward spot open. We may see him back once his injury heals if it hasn't already. He will likely be the first call up.

Chief Jeff
10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

The Chiefs were most likely one of the teams looking at Fadden. They have all but given up on getting Roman back, and Mccrae is out for at least another month. They really only have 4 top six forwards right now. Sure would make a great line with Bowman and Wahl, or even with Johnson and Koper.

sbtatter
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Have they not won 7 in a row? or are you being sarcastic about us pimping our Canes all the time? Sometimes it's difficult to tell.No sarcasm (that's saved for posters who get a little outrageous in their praise sometimes!), I know the Blades are on a hot streak but they don't have the weapons to challenge you over the long haul. Speaking of weapons, Vancouver seem to have plenty out West....

Bocephus
10-16-2008, 01:13 PM
you must have a day off today b.
A day off from what? I lead a life of leisure. yeehoo

localguy
10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
The Chiefs were most likely one of the teams looking at Fadden. They have all but given up on getting Roman back, and Mccrae is out for at least another month. They really only have 4 top six forwards right now. Sure would make a great line with Bowman and Wahl, or even with Johnson and Koper.

I kinda doubt that, what would you offer in return? Anything is possible, but i can't see sending him there being an option (unless of course Cowan was coming this way).

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM

At least not yet!!!!!

grainbear
10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I don,t think any one wanted to see this player move on, however we did get something for him. I look at the roster and see we still have 25 players , why would we destroy the mix by bringing in another player. We still have to get down in our numbers by 2 players once Sbisa, Boychuk , Taylor and iwanski are all back and healthy. This I am certain is the best we could get not because of Adam but because of free agents out there . I see a new FADDEN in the interview after the last game. He seems to have grown up and once we get Zak back and Sbisa we have more offense and defense. This will prevent teams from keying on one line and then the space is created for all 4 lines to score. This commitment and strengths is what wins Memorial Cups. Our results are way ahead of last year at this time and the trader will make the moves necessary by November to get us there if we are not on the right path