PDA

View Full Version : Sorochan another class act

Number_4
04-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Lethbridge Hurricanes goaltender Aaron Sorochan has donated $139 to the We Care Saves for Little Hearts Program. Sorochan donated one dollar for every goal he let in this season.

Sorochan’s $139 donation brings the Saves for Little Hearts total to $1854. This season every time A Hurricanes goalie made a save, We Care Home Health Services donated a dollar to the Lethbridge Neo-Natal Intensive Care unit. The money donated will go towards the purchase of a C-Pap Machine. A C-Pap is a non-invasive respiratory aid for new-borns.

“I looked at the big banner in the south end of the Enmax Centre, which indicates the total dollars raised throughout the season & felt that every time I let in a goal I took away a dollar from this great cause,” commented Sorochan. “So I felt it appropriate to donate a dollar for every each of the 139 goals I let in this season. In doing so I invite the whole corporate community to match or exceed my donation to help purchase the C-Pap Machine for the CHR as quickly as possible. I hope everyone can rally around this cause as eagerly as they rallied around the team this season.”

Individuals or corporations can match or exceed Aaron’s donation by contacting the LRH Foundation office at (403) 388-6001 or visiting www.lrhfoundation.com.

Sorochan will present his donation to the LRH Foundation this Friday April 8th at 11a.m. in the south atrium of the Lethbridge Regional Hospital.

The 20-year-old product of Edmonton completed his final year of Junior Hockey eligibility this season. Sorochan set a new Hurricanes Single Season Goals Against Average record and tied the Hurricanes Single Season Shutout record. He was also named the WHL East Conference Goaltender of the year, nominated for WHL Goaltender of the Year, named to the WHL East Conference First All Star Team, named the Players Bench Hurricanes Humanitarian of the year and Telus Most Popular Hurricanes Player as voted by his teammates.

-http://www.lethbridgehurricanes.com/

What a great guy, to donate to the cause too. And it is a great way to get others in the community involved in the challenge. He will be missed next year.

loudi94
04-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I agree. $139 may not seem like much, but to a 20 year old with a very limited income it is significant.

Beaner
04-09-2005, 10:57 AM
He's a great guy, we saw that when he played in Van, nice to see he still has his head screwed on right. :thumb:

Hopefully he can get a chance to play in the AHL or other minor league next year.

iggy_23
04-09-2005, 05:38 PM
What a great guy Sorochan is his radio interview after the last game was all class and now this i have nothing but respect for him and hope he can continue hockey at the pro Level. There is nothing but Great things for Sorochan in the years to come with all the class in the world. Way to guy Aaron were goin to miss ya in Lethbridge.

Knuckle Chucker
04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Sorochan was not a model citizen when the Gaints come to PA last year. He went nuts after a desputed goal. The ref ruled a goal after talking to the goal judge. Sorochan two-handed the glass right in front of the goal judges face and yelled at him with every 2nd word being an f-bomb. I know as I sit close to the judge. He continued to swear at him after each stop in play....one time he waved his glove at him after making a save. I am not trying to take anything away from his donation. That is great and a sign that he has matured.

Triton
04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
That was the competative nature of Aaron.

Knuckle Chucker
04-11-2005, 07:33 PM
That was the competative nature of Aaron.

Well on that night the competive nature made him look like a fool

Furback
04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Aaron was a streaky goalie and never came through in the clutch he had a great year but got shelled in the playoffs. Im glad he donates money but the hurricanes systeme sure help his gaa this year he is an average goalie.

Nielson11
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Aaron was a streaky goalie and never came through in the clutch he had a great year but got shelled in the playoffs. Im glad he donates money but the hurricanes systeme sure help his gaa this year he is an average goalie.

Hey Furback,

Just curious did watch the Hurricanes alot this season....more often then not it was Sorochan bailing them out.

Sure the system helps but Sorochan is a very good goalie.
Best puckhandling goalie in the WHL.

Nielson11

In the crowd
04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I'd have to say tht Glass is the best puckhandling goalie in the league

Nielson11
04-12-2005, 04:19 PM

I respect your opinion coming from an Ice fan....but...and there is is a but.

Team loyalties aside I still say Sorochan is a better puckhandler then Glass....

If teams dump the puck in on the Hurricanes, in many cases there d-men don't even go back to get it, sorochan simply fires it up to the redline.

I was talking with Dean Evanson before Game 1 of the Canes Hitmen series and he said Sorochan's puck skills was one of the things the Hitmen had to be aware of. In fact he referred to him as a true third defenseman.

thing that makes his puck handling skills even more amazing is that he is a regular right handed shot, but he taught himself to shoot left handed so he wouldn't have to Switch like Joseph, Theodore and Will Smith (lame joke)

Anyway just my 2 cents.... 1.78 cents american.

Nielson 11

Furback
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
who cares If the guy can handle a puck bottom line he has never come threw in the clutch like i said. He had his best year with lethbridge due to the systeme. For stickhandling i would say both glass and reggie B are better than aaron in that department.

Tinner
04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
he was a big part of the hurricanes sucess this year and you can't take that away from him.

Nielson11
04-12-2005, 10:59 PM
who cares If the guy can handle a puck bottom line he has never come threw in the clutch like i said. He had his best year with lethbridge due to the systeme. For stickhandling i would say both glass and reggie B are better than aaron in that department.

Hey Furback...how do you explain him being named Vancouver Giants MVP LAST season????

Did he have Lindsay Hofford and the Hurricanes system there as well???

And just because Glass and Beachemin went to the WJC, that doesn't mean they are better puckhandlers then Soro.

I will agree that he didn't come through in the clutch though.

Nielson 11

Furback
04-12-2005, 11:09 PM
has nothing to due with world juniors which aarron has never even been invited too. it is the fact that those 2 players are better stickhandlers thats all i didnt meen to hit a sore spots thats just the way it is not my fault.

Number_4
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I've seen the canes play quite a bit in the past year. To say that Soro was outplayed in the playoffs, yes that is true. But during the regular season, he was by far one of the most consistant players on the ice. Not to say he didnt have bad nights, but he was by far more consistant than some of the stars on the team. Ive seen games where he is the reason they won. Its hard to say who has the best puckhandling skills. However, it is the goalies job to keep the puck out of the net. Anything else is a bonus. Saying this tho, Soro is a beaut to watch. He is the third d out there. When the canes are on the attack, (like in game 5) Soro was the main reason that they were able to keep it up so long.

Furback
04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm not in love with soro like you #4 I just think the guy was an average goalie he will never see the nhl hard pressed to even make the ahl.

Nielson11
04-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm not in love with soro like you #4 I just think the guy was an average goalie he will never see the nhl hard pressed to even make the ahl.

Hey Furback,

Your right about one thing, he will never play in the NHL and most likely not see time in the AHL. But he does play the puck better then Glass, who will probably play in the NHL. As for Beauchemin, I don't think he has what it takes.

Anyway Sorochan was an above average WHL goaltender, voted as the best goalie in the WHL East this year, not bad.....I'm not saying he is a top 5 goalie in the league, but he sure did have a damn good season. Just admit it then go back to trolling somewhere else.

Thanks

Furback
04-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Im not trolling just cause i dont agree with someone doesnt meen i troll. I due have my own opinions on things im not a sheep that follows the crowd. I have watched the player alot i think he is ok that is my opinion. you dont have to like what i say but know this thats accually how i feel so im not trolling.

Chipper
04-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I think that Jeff thinks he is the best puckhandler in the league but it scares the #### out of me. He is not as good as he thinks, and he even try's to beat our own players to the puck and shoot it out to center ice. He should just stay in the net.