PDA

View Full Version : Holtby signs with Capitals!!!

PJ-34
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
First of all...Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Felt like I dropped both of my lungs when I saw that Braden Holtby has signed with the Caps. Damn this blows for the Blades...and me. Well it's up to Morrison and Krahn to keep this streak going tuesday, congrats to Braden. Now on the Blades site it says that he will remain with the Blades...does that mean for the rest of the season?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Signing with an NHL team doesnt mean he joins them immediately.

It just means that they maintain his rights on their protected list, and that the chances are high that they want him to play in the AHL (AKA not saskatoon) next season.

He is playing in Regina tommorrow, which means you guys might actually have a chance to win.

Trav
10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
of the season. He won't be up in the NHL which is the only place he can be other then here this year but like the last poster said, this is likely his last year in the WHL most likely.

CJSenterprise4
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Holtby is probably one of the best or best goalie in the WHL i believe. Yeah i think he will stay in with the Blades this season for sure unless the Caps AHL team goalies get hurt or really suck.

Trav
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Holtby is probably one of the best or best goalie in the WHL i believe. Yeah i think he will stay in with the Blades this season for sure unless the Caps AHL team goalies get hurt or really suck.

He's not eligible for the AHL since he was drafted as a Blade and no junior aged players from the CHL can play in the AHL when they're under 20.

SaskHockeyFan
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Holtby cannot play anywhere but the NHL or the WHL, he is only 19. Only at 20 can you go to the AHL or ECHL. Congrats to Braden, it is a nice step but only a step. He needs to continue to work hard to develop into an NHL goalie. But hey, the signing bonus cash is nice as well! I wouldn't be surprised to see Holtby up with the AHL affiliate at the end of the Blades season though.

CJSenterprise4
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Hopefully it goes to his head a bit tomorrow and the Pats can light him up buuuuut i doubt it. Should be a good game tomorrow.

Allin44
10-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Not to absolutely nitpick, but there is an exception to the 20 year old rule for WHL players to play in the AHL, and thats if they've played in 4 WHL seasons(IE Alex Plante could have played in the A this year), but this doesn't apply to Holtby obviously, just thought I'd throw that out there..

uhhhm.. bye!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Not to absolutely nitpick, but there is an exception to the 20 year old rule for WHL players to play in the AHL, and thats if they've played in 4 WHL seasons(IE Alex Plante could have played in the A this year), but this doesn't apply to Holtby obviously, just thought I'd throw that out there..

uhhhm.. bye!

Regardless of the amount of seasons you have played in the CHL if you are a canadian player, you must be 20 years old to be eligible to play in the minor pro leagues.

European players can be exceptions if the NHL team retained their rights before the junior team does. They are eligible to play in the AHL as a 19 year old, like Petr Kalus was.(though it isnt a smart thing to do, look at Kalus now...like I need another reason to hate boston).

Plante was only with the club as long as he was because of the whole trade demand situation.

wango tango
10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
congrats to braden. well done. guessing this guarantees he will be in the ahl next season.

hopefully he can continue his excellent play through the rest of the season, maybe make the world junior team, and back stop the team into a decent playoff run.

Allin44
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Regardless of the amount of seasons you have played in the CHL if you are a canadian player, you must be 20 years old to be eligible to play in the minor pro leagues.

European players can be exceptions if the NHL team retained their rights before the junior team does. They are eligible to play in the AHL as a 19 year old, like Petr Kalus was.(though it isnt a smart thing to do, look at Kalus now...like I need another reason to hate boston).

Plante was only with the club as long as he was because of the whole trade demand situation.

I don't typically make up facts, if you have played in 4 different WHL seasons you are eligible for the AHL

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't typically make up facts, if you have played in 4 different WHL seasons you are eligible for the AHL

Could you give an example of this (where a guy isnt 20, and is Canadian)? Because this is definitely news to me.

nivek_wahs
10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't typically make up facts, if you have played in 4 different WHL seasons you are eligible for the AHLThat's news to me.

Edit: I didn't read SAJ's post until I wrote my reply.

Allin44
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=403429

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Thats basically saying the same thing, but in a weirder way.

A player can only play in 5 seasons in the CHL (from 16-20). A player passing up their 5th and last year of eligibility for the AHL is the same as requiring to be 20 years old to be eligible, since eligibility rules in the CHL prevent otherwise.

Kind of weird for the HF guy to put it that way, since the only guy I can think of that played 4 seasons before 20 years old (playing a couple games or so does not constitute as a qualifying season) is Tavares, who is probably going to play in the NHL next year anyways. Europeans are a different matter.

Im still not sold, since I cannot think of any 19 year old Canadian kid from the CHL that was allowed to play in the AHL. Patrice Bergeron played in the AHL at 19, but he also played a full season in the NHL before that, and only played 2 seasons in the CHL anyways.

Allin44
10-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Bergeron and a few others.. can't remember who now, were able to play in the AHL because there was no deal with the CHL at the time, this was also during the lockout wasnt it..,

As for the 4 year thing, thats where the greyzone is, nobody can say if playing games as a 15 year old counts.

SectionNDeserter
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Im still not sold, since I cannot think of any 19 year old Canadian kid from the CHL that was allowed to play in the AHL. Patrice Bergeron played in the AHL at 19, but he also played a full season in the NHL before that, and only played 2 seasons in the CHL anyways.Jason Spezza played in the AHL in his 19 year old season. I think that this situation only comes about when the CHL makes a special ruling to allow an extraordinary player to begin their CHL career in their 15 year old season(a year early)--something that they either don't do anymore, or haven't done for a few years.

Allin44
10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Jason Spezza played in the AHL in his 19 year old season. I think that this situation only comes about when the CHL makes a special ruling to allow an extraordinary player to begin their CHL career in their 15 year old season(a year early)--something that they either don't do anymore, or haven't done for a few years.

I think the OHL made an exception this year. Doubt you'd see it happen much in the WHL as its a little more physical of a league and most 15 year olds can't step into a spot like that