PDA

View Full Version : Real Cyr - Canada West Hockey Player of the Week

old_time_hockey
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
University of Alberta Golden Bears Freshman goaltender Real Cyr has been named the Canada West Hockey Player of the Week for the week ending October 19th.

Cyr, a product of Victoire, SK, posted two wins, including a shutout, in two games on the weekend as the Golden Bears swept a two-game series versus the U.B.C. Thunderbirds in Vancouver, B.C.

The 21-year-old turned in a 19-save shutout performance to backstop the Golden Bears to a 4-0 victory over the Thunderbirds on Friday, October 17th, then followed up with a 23-save effort as the Golden Bears completed the sweep over the T-Birds with a 5-2 win on Saturday, October 18th.

Cyr, an Arts student, played four seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Prince George Cougars from 2004-08.

Don't tell me the Cyr Fan Club has disbanded. I was shocked this wasn't already posted.

WTG to Cyr.

TwoBits
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM
We're still alive!!!

Thankfully UBC broadcasts their games so I was able to listen to the Saturday game on the radio. Unfortunately I only discovered this after the the shutout on Friday.

Looks like Cyr is up to his old tricks, the coach may have some difficult decisions to make when Sorochan returns from his injury. :D

WestLEAFfan
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
We're still alive!!!

Thankfully UBC broadcasts their games so I was able to listen to the Saturday game on the radio. Unfortunately I only discovered this after the the shutout on Friday.

Looks like Cyr is up to his old tricks, the coach may have some difficult decisions to make when Sorochan returns from his injury. :D

I think it's Sorochan's team and it should be for now. However, REAL always makes the best of his opportunities. applause

P.S. Thanks for the update Old Time! I was unaware CYR had been awarded player of the week in the CIS.

TwoBits
10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks OldTime! (where are my manners)

I didn't even know about the Canada West site. I have a whole new hockey world to discover. :)

Have you been in UBC's new Olympic Arena? I saw a picture on their site, it looks awesome!

Anyway, I'll sign off on the subject before I aggrevate the PG fans, talking about CIS hockey.

old_time_hockey
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks OldTime! (where are my manners)

I didn't even know about the Canada West site. I have a whole new hockey world to discover. :)

Have you been in UBC's new Olympic Arena? I saw a picture on their site, it looks awesome!

Anyway, I'll sign off on the subject before I aggrevate the PG fans, talking about CIS hockey.

I work at UBC and got to go on a Faculty and Staff tour during construction. But have never seen inside since completed.

I haven't got out to a T-Birds game yet this year. Should go out and see.

Cougars have alot of alumni in the CIS. Last year went out to watch a double header against UofM. Chris Faloon plays(ed) for them.

TwoBits
10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
There are a few former PG players playing for U of A. Eric Hunter, Greg Gardner, Dan Baum, Lee Zalasky and Cyr. There's also a player from PG Aaron Agnew.

It must be like a big reunion, playing with former team mates, playing with former opponents and playing against former opponents again.

I haven't seen a CIS hockey game since I was in university (a millenia ago), but you'd think it should be pretty good hockey to watch.

Tidball
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
In saskatoon he was pretty bad. He let in 6 goals 1 game and then 5 goals the next night.

WestLEAFfan
10-26-2008, 01:52 PM
In saskatoon he was pretty bad. He let in 6 goals 1 game and then 5 goals the next night.

True, but the first night the other goalie let in 7!! The BEARS still won the game. Inconsistent play for sure, but we still love him here in SK!