PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical - Again

Allin44
10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Its trade deadline day, Brandon is in tight for the top spot in the East and are playing really well, but are one or two big players away from making a deep playoff run, do we do it this year? Or do we just kind of say.. **** it.. we'll got with what we've got this year, hope for the best and make all of our trades next year

WHEATMAN
10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Its trade deadline day, Brandon is in tight for the top spot in the East and are playing really well, but are one or two big players away from making a deep playoff run, do we do it this year? Or do we just kind of say.. **** it.. we'll got with what we've got this year, hope for the best and make all of our trades next year

I think you are underestimating the team we got here. We are already capable of a deep playoff run with the team we have and have the best offense in the Eastern Conference, if not the league, I really don't see anything happening unless we pick up a 2nd pairing defenceman. Our goaltending is likely set for this season and next, so I wouldn't touch it unless Hayes and Preistner really go into the tank, we are gonna need them next year. Any trade that we will make will likely be for a 18 year old defenceman though...

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
If the right situation with the right players comes up, Kelly would make moves this year. It has to be with an eye on next year of course. However a great run in this years playoffs will help the team make the "big" run next year, so don't count out any moves yet.
He probably won't make any major moves till next year once he sees who is back (Schenn etc).

Section Eight
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
If the right situation with the right players comes up, Kelly would make moves this year. It has to be with an eye on next year of course. However a great run in this years playoffs will help the team make the "big" run next year, so don't count out any moves yet.
He probably won't make any major moves till next year once he sees who is back (Schenn etc).

I agree with that entirely. There is a lot of talk about Kelly picking up a top 4 dman but this team has some very serious liabilities with it's 3rd and 4th line forwards. I wouldn't be suprised if near the top of Kelly's wish list is a couple of big brusing forwards who can crash and bang and ride shot-gun for the top two lines.

The 07/08 Wheaties are a good team with some very good players but it's a long way short of a M Cup contender. I suggest we're in line for a couple of trades this year and at least a couple more next year (including a proven netminder).

wheaties89
10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree with the need of a couple of bruising forwards that will do the dirty work for our top two lines. Our D might be actually alright for next year. Aulie, Robak, Bestland, Melnychuk, Schnieder and i think miller will be there top 6 which doesnt look bad at all if they continue developing. Another shut down d would certainly be nice to have tho. Have to wait and see how Hayes and Priestner play all year before going after another goalie

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree with the need of a couple of bruising forwards that will do the dirty work for our top two lines. Our D might be actually alright for next year. Aulie, Robak, Bestland, Melnychuk, Schnieder and i think miller will be there top 6 which doesnt look bad at all if they continue developing. Another shut down d would certainly be nice to have tho. Have to wait and see how Hayes and Priestner play all year before going after another goalie

There is an outside chance that aulie might not be back next year, being a 19 year old draft pick and all.

And with no intention to offend, that doesnt really look like a memorial cup top 6 Defence anyways.

The Wheatiemaniac
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
There will be people in place to run the season long marathon and grow together for the big show. I don't think Kelly will wait til next years deadline to stock up. On D next year, Robak will be the go to guy, and yes we'll need more than him. I think Schnieder is the darkhorse that will be a nice surprise, but we'll still need more help. And yes we'll need some bashers and crashers to wreak havoc and keep the peace all at once.

sbtatter
10-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Have you guys noticed that Depape and Walker are doing quite well in the MJ?
If we can get Schwartz and Toews to join us next year, well, happy days!

Section Eight
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM

I saw the Wolverines/Saints game in Wayway last saturday night and Depape looked like he will do okay in the MJ but I think he would benefit from a 1/2 - 2/3 of season there before making the jump to the dub.

Wicked fight to start the game, 3 seconds in, between Clarke (Wolves) and King (Saints) - Clarke isn't that talented but he's a freakin animal on the ice and he'd give most WHL heavies all they could handle. To bad he wasn't 18 ...

gowheaties
10-22-2008, 05:07 PM

yah schwartz and toews would fit in nicely for guys like nathan green and aaron lewadniuk who wont be back next year for the mem cup. If King keeps chokin maybe we could ship him out somewhere for a fresh start and get depape up this year. i dunno whats wrong with king wether its too much pressure or wether he is just plain bad but either i think everyone will agree he has had his fair share of chances and he has got to go(hopefully sooner rather than later.

Also we are going to need guys that can crash and bang next year. because this year we have cowan and jefferies(when he gets healthy) who can play with mark stone and grind it out on the 4th line but next year i dunno if hale can do the job. I've been dissapointed with hale so far this season. He has got to get her goin.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Lewadniuk and Green will both be back; it's just a matter if there's room to accommodate them.

Vik
10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I saw the Wolverines/Saints game in Wayway last saturday night and Depape looked like he will do okay in the MJ but I think he would benefit from a 1/2 - 2/3 of season there before making the jump to the dub.

Wicked fight to start the game, 3 seconds in, between Clarke (Wolves) and King (Saints) - Clarke isn't that talented but he's a freakin animal on the ice and he'd give most WHL heavies all they could handle. To bad he wasn't 18 ...
The Saints are coming to town for a couple games this weekend so I'll have to make an effort to get to the games.

Brandonite
10-23-2008, 05:19 AM
yah schwartz and toews would fit in nicely for guys like nathan green and aaron lewadniuk who wont be back next year for the mem cup. If King keeps chokin maybe we could ship him out somewhere for a fresh start and get depape up this year. i dunno whats wrong with king wether its too much pressure or wether he is just plain bad but either i think everyone will agree he has had his fair share of chances and he has got to go(hopefully sooner rather than later.

Also we are going to need guys that can crash and bang next year. because this year we have cowan and jefferies(when he gets healthy) who can play with mark stone and grind it out on the 4th line but next year i dunno if hale can do the job. I've been dissapointed with hale so far this season. He has got to get her goin.

Whats with EVERYONE on here posting about Depape every 2nd thread?? Face it, the kid didnt make the team this year for a reason! HES NOT READY! Every person on here keeps bringing up the point of Jordan Depape playing for Brandon right now but its obviously not going to happen anytime soon. Hes in the MJ for a reason, and thats to get some experience at the junior level, he can come back next year even stronger. He might be like a Ciarelli and play a couple games but get over this kid already, he'll be here next year but talk about the kids who are here and not the ones who the coaching staff obviously didnt want on this years squad!!!

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Whats with EVERYONE on here posting about Depape every 2nd thread?? Face it, the kid didnt make the team this year for a reason! HES NOT READY! Every person on here keeps bringing up the point of Jordan Depape playing for Brandon right now but its obviously not going to happen anytime soon. Hes in the MJ for a reason, and thats to get some experience at the junior level, he can come back next year even stronger. He might be like a Ciarelli and play a couple games but get over this kid already, he'll be here next year but talk about the kids who are here and not the ones who the coaching staff obviously didnt want on this years squad!!!

Calm down.

gowheaties
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Calm down.

green and lewadniuk will not be playin for the wheatkings next year. guarentee it. its calvert, aulie and fehr who will be the 20 year olds.

Section Eight
10-23-2008, 02:09 PM
green and lewadniuk will not be playin for the wheatkings next year. guarentee it. its calvert, aulie and fehr who will be the 20 year olds.

There's a good chance Green and Lewadnuik won't be playing for the Wheat Kings all year THIS YEAR if Kelly can pull the trigger on something that help his chances beyond this year.

King, Jefferies and Cowen are not marketable trades ... so with Caliguiri already gone ... Green and Lewadnuik are number's 1 & 2 on the trading block ... GUARENTEED!

sbtatter
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
This is a thread titled "hypothetical, again" so no harm in talking about a prospect, especially one who is scoring more than a ppg......