PDA

View Full Version : Grill-Donovan done with WKs

Allin44
10-23-2008, 03:24 PM
http://www.wheatkings.com/news_item.aspx?news_id=4543

Needed to be done with Erb coming back into the lineup, not sure what they'll be able to get for him, or if any team will want him, tough for him, but **** happens

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I wish Alexander all the best.

The Wheatiemaniac
10-24-2008, 01:29 AM
He just wasn't a WHL D-man. He came out of AA Midget in Calgary and will undoubtedly be released, because I don't think he is tradeable. Unless he's part of a package deal somewhere. Other than that he'll be in Jr. A or Jr. B.

Brandonite
10-24-2008, 04:56 AM
He just wasn't a WHL D-man. He came out of AA Midget in Calgary and will undoubtedly be released, because I don't think he is tradeable. Unless he's part of a package deal somewhere. Other than that he'll be in Jr. A or Jr. B.

All I gotta say is thank god and its about time! This guy was awful since the first time I seen him. When you got other d-men like Bestland, Miller, & Schneider you dont need a guy like Grill Donovan taking up a roster spot. As a previous poster said, he played AA Midget before making the jump to the WHL. He didnt even play AAA atleast when he was 16 which made it that much harder for me to understand how he made it in Brandon. I can not see any team what so ever wanting him at all. If any team was going to come to brandon via a trade, they would be seeking Brett Rock and not Alex Grill Donovan who belongs in Junior A

sbtatter
10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
I think what intrigued the coaches was his willingness to hit, but he could never find the right time to throw the big hit, ended up taking himself out of position. Appeared to be a nice guy though so hope he finds a place to play where he can have some success, whatever level that is.
As far as Rock, he's never going to make the WK's, nice story about how he's come from nowhere, but he can't skate and he's way to soft, with no upgrades to our defence he won't make the team next year, he's behind guys like Erdhardt imo.
Kelly was talking about his top and bottom 4 d-men yesterday, I'd sure like to know how he ranks within the bottom 4 of Bestland, Schneider, Miller and Robidoux.....

Vik
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I think what intrigued the coaches was his willingness to hit
Yeah, when I first saw him I thought he could turn into a Chad Erb type.

I don't see why he couldn't play with someone as a 6/7 guy at least. Maybe we can package up him and King for a 4th line bruiser or something.

Allin44
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, when I first saw him I thought he could turn into a Chad Erb type.

I don't see why he couldn't play with someone as a 6/7 guy at least. Maybe we can package up him and King for a 4th line bruiser or something.

We'd have to probably throw in our first round draft pick in order to dump both those guys in one trade :laugh

The Wheatiemaniac
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
King alone, I doubt would land you a bag of pucks. After he got his first goal against Tri City, I heard people say he'll turn it on now. And surprise, surprise...he didn't. Prolly the next to go is King....or maybe Cowan. A 19 yr old who doesn't produce......sorry, the bus depot's on 6th Street. Have a nice trip to Neepawa.

sbtatter
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
King, Cowan, Jeffries are 3 guys who can't be on the team if we want to win a championship

Vik
10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
You guys are just plain silly sometimes. Matt Lowry had a grand total of 10 goals and 22 points in the WHL and was going to be a 4th liner for the Hat before we traded for him. Now look at him. King's not going to get a chance at getting any real ice time here but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value. And do you really think it's a team's 4th line that wins it championships? Our 4th line doesn't even get 10 minutes/game.

This is all besides the fact that fans in general seem to think that a guy has to put up good offensive numbers or throw some big hits to be of use to the team.

sbtatter
10-24-2008, 11:14 PM
You guys are just plain silly sometimes. Matt Lowry had a grand total of 10 goals and 22 points in the WHL and was going to be a 4th liner for the Hat before we traded for him. Now look at him. King's not going to get a chance at getting any real ice time here but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value. And do you really think it's a team's 4th line that wins it championships? Our 4th line doesn't even get 10 minutes/game.

This is all besides the fact that fans in general seem to think that a guy has to put up good offensive numbers or throw some big hits to be of use to the team.
I absolutely say the 4th line has to check, hit and fight if you want to win a championship

Section Eight
10-25-2008, 11:43 AM

You must be joking? To compare Sanford King (or Jefferies or Cowan) to Matt Lowry is completely laughable.

The forth line guys on championship teams play a hugh role in; being the energy guys, being physical, penalty killing, fighting and scoring the odd big goal ... does that sound like our 4th line guys, NOT!

Brandonite
10-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I truly think Sanfred King would have a hell of a time putting up numbers in the MJHL. Hes never shown me any reason to think otherwise. Even when he played AAA as a 16 year old, he didnt exactly rip it up and was basically a point per game player if that! Hes not what hes built up to be and he never will be as long as he plays in Brandon. MAYBE a different scene would work but I truly believe the WHL is far ahead of this kid. He reminds me much like Derek Werenka & Bryan Kauk. Two guys that had very successful careers in Junior A but were never near the factor people thought they would be in the dub. Having success in AAA doesn't always mean the same for WHL and it shows with King. If I was him, id ask for a trade even. He isnt going to play here and for his own good it be best to leave

Vik
10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
You must be joking? To compare Sanford King (or Jefferies or Cowan) to Matt Lowry is completely laughable.
How so? I'm not saying they play a similar style at all or that Sanfred (if we're going to bash him, we could at least get his name right) would put up similar numbers in a different situation. I'm saying that a change of scenery and some added ice time can work wonders for a player.

The forth line guys on championship teams play a hugh role in; being the energy guys, being physical, penalty killing, fighting and scoring the odd big goal ... does that sound like our 4th line guys, NOT!
"NOT!" Really? You're using a childish saying from the 90s (and using it incorrectly I might add)? Yikes.
Anywho, do you guys remember the last time we made it to the WHL finals who our 4th line was? It was Sami Sandell - Teegan Moore - Corey Courchene/Jeff Topilko. Did that line put up a lot of goals? Did it throw any big hits or get into many fights? They were sometimes used on the kill but then Jeffries is one of our normal PKers (at least he was last year) and Cowan has been used there too. The fourth line is all about not hurting your team. If it can chip in something useful too, all the better, but it is never what makes or breaks you (or at least shouldn't be).

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
I'd take what Section eight has to say with a grain of salt. Obviously he's the cranky, bitter guy with nothing positive to say ever.