PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts

Chief Jeff
10-23-2008, 10:23 PM
we are now a month in and I thought I would throw my two cents in about the Chiefs plays so far:

Goaltending has obviously been fantastic. Tokarski is leading the league in every category and Reed has looked good in his two starts.

The defense has also been outstanding as all six of the regulars are playing great with the added bonus of more scoring this year

The forwards have also been very solid. Letts and Donaghy have both looked good and the rookies (Gal, Kuhn, and Conrad) have also looked better than expected, especially in the last 5 games as they learn the speed of the WHL. Wahl, Bowman, Koper and Johnson have all looked great. Mccrae will hopefully be back in a month or so and would be a good fit on either the first or second line. That of courses leaves the Andrej Roman saga. If the Chiefs don't hear something soon on him I think a trade for a good veteran RW is coming.

All in all I think Sauter has done a really good job, especially early when everyone was off in pro camps. I like seeing the D-men a little more aggressive in pushing the puck into the offensive zone this year as well.

HomerSimpson
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure what the 19 year old ('89) situation is around the WHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs started shopping around with some of the draft picks and young defensemen they've stockpiled over the last season or two; in search of a forward. Our situation as I see it right now is a good one, but IMO not an elite one. We have scraped by in some games, but if Wahl and/or Bowman and/or Johnson and/or Koper are out for awhile, our offensive production looks bleak. Maybe that's just me being spoiled after last year, though.

Bowman/Wahl/just about anyone - gives us a top line to be reckoned with. Bowman and Wahl are both in the top 10 power rankings on TSN.ca for WHL players (Tokarski is #1, for the record).

Koper/Johnson/Letts has been a surprisingly strong offensive line for us so far. Johnson proved last year that he projects as an elite player in the WHL, and I've been touting Koper since he came to camp as a 16 year old...but who would've thought that Ryan Letts would contribute the way he has? The 2-on-1 play he set up last weekend was actually quite impressive. IMO, we could still use another top-6 forward. With McCrae returning, that will help, but if we don't get Roman back it could be a hard finish down the stretch. Speltz himself said that he wouldn't paint himself into any corners. I believe that.

Donaghy, Gal, Compton, Kuhn, Conrad, and Betz give us formitable enough forwards to fill out the bottom of our lineup. Add Letts and Cratsenberg for depth once we get our guys back and we will be fine there. Gal, Conrad and Kuhn have been especially impressive IMO, but Betz and Cratsenberg haven't been bad in their own right. Compton provides leadership, and we all knew Dustin Donaghy would be a force with that underrated shot of his and the ability to take on any tough guy in the league for us.

Our defense is fine. I don't think there's really much else to say about them lol. Glass is exemplary, Spurgeon is highly underrated, Reddington is about as good a shutdown guy as anyone else in the league, Cowen is unbelievable, Bartman has stepped in and performed better than expected, and Ulmer is in the top 10 amongst defensemen scoring (shocking?).

Tokarski has won us a few games this year in his own right. Our offense has been able to get away with some off-nights, and that's what a goaltender of his calibre can do for us. So far, Tic might be the front runner for WHL MVP. James Reid has been as good as advertised, and is good enough to be a starting goaltender in our league. It seems like the guys around the team really like him too, he seems like a great team-first guy, just what we need in a backup 'tender.

All in all, I think we will be making another deep run into the playoffs if we stay healthy and add that one missing piece - whether it's Roman or another player will have to wait and be seen.

Madcow
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice write-ups.

It seems like with each passing day Roman doesn't come back it is becoming more unlikely we will see him in a Chiefs jersey every again, so maybe time to start shopping

Tik like you said really if it keeps up like this SHOULD be the MVP of the league, he has been rock solid.

Forwards great, defense great, goaltending great.

Only gripe i have would be i think we need more of an enforcer type. I have never seen Reddington lose a fight and i think he is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed in the draft. Like it's been said there is not much demand in the nhl for 6'0 stay at home defensemen although i think he could increase his stock if he fought more.

HomerSimpson
10-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice write-ups.

It seems like with each passing day Roman doesn't come back it is becoming more unlikely we will see him in a Chiefs jersey every again, so maybe time to start shopping

Tik like you said really if it keeps up like this SHOULD be the MVP of the league, he has been rock solid.

Only gripe i have would be i think we need more of an enforcer type. I have never seen Reddington lose a fight and i think he is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed in the draft. Like it's been said there is not much demand in the nhl for 6'0 stay at home defensemen although i think he could increase his stock if he fought more.

Only gripe i have would be i think we need more of an enforcer type. I have never seen Reddington lose a fight and i think he is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed in the draft. Like it's been said there is not much demand in the nhl for 6'0 stay at home defensemen although i think he could increase his stock if he fought more.[/QUOTE]

I have never really been a big fan of having an enforcer, personally. With guys like Redder, Letts, and Donaghy throwing their weight around and guys like McCrae (when healthy) and our other leaders there to back them up, I think we're fine. Don't forget about Baldwin too...he seems like quite the fighter. I think the turning point of our franchise was when we said farewell to guys like Stoesz in favor of guys who played the game first and fought second. It's more of a pain to kill off their extra PIMs than it is to have them on the bench. Win by committee, fight by committee.

Rebelchild
10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I know that you either loved Stoesz or you hated him. There didn't seem to be a happy medium. Personally - I loved him. Kill me for that later. I think that the thing that I like about our team most is that in spite of all the individual praise that some of the players get they still think and play like a team. The rookies have really been proving themselves and they are a really nice bunch of kids off the ice too. While I don't think that we necessarily need an "enforcer" whose brain doesn't function past "fight" I do believe that we need to present a really strong physical presence and I think we do that. I don't care if it is Tik -who really shouldn't be fighting - one of our veterans or even one of the rookies. When something starts going down there is no one left standing there without a whole lot of backup. Quiet frankly - we end up with penalty minutes whether we deserve them or not. The key to that seemed to be developing an awesome PK group of guys. We have that. My main gripe is that we need someone wearing the C and I don't care if he is lacing up or leaning on cructches. The team, and the fans, need to know that we have a leader instead of hanging in limbo. JMHO

HomerSimpson
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I know that you either loved Stoesz or you hated him. There didn't seem to be a happy medium. Personally - I loved him. Kill me for that later. I think that the thing that I like about our team most is that in spite of all the individual praise that some of the players get they still think and play like a team. The rookies have really been proving themselves and they are a really nice bunch of kids off the ice too. While I don't think that we necessarily need an "enforcer" whose brain doesn't function past "fight" I do believe that we need to present a really strong physical presence and I think we do that. I don't care if it is Tik -who really shouldn't be fighting - one of our veterans or even one of the rookies. When something starts going down there is no one left standing there without a whole lot of backup. Quiet frankly - we end up with penalty minutes whether we deserve them or not. The key to that seemed to be developing an awesome PK group of guys. We have that. My main gripe is that we need someone wearing the C and I don't care if he is lacing up or leaning on cructches. The team, and the fans, need to know that we have a leader instead of hanging in limbo. JMHO

There's nothing wrong with liking a player - regardless of what they bring. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If we bring in a forward to provide some size and toughness, it needs to be someone who is going to put goals on the board for us. We didn't see them much (obviously) but a few years ago when Moose Jaw had Troy Brouwer, he led them in PIMs, but he also led them in points (or was at least 2nd on the team). I know we probably aren't going to be able to get that caliber of player, but it's possible to do both, and I would be more than inclined to agree that that kind of player would be a nice fit for us. I just don't want to see Speltz bring in a Myles Stoesz-type player ever again. IMO he was a dirty player, and at times was far more detrimental than he was beneficial. Last year, Redder led our team in PIMs, and I think it was a whopping 94 PIMs.....and we had a franchise year.

I think McCrae is our captain. Since there isn't really much talk about it, and nobody has worn the "C" yet, I'm pretty much sure that it's going to be him when he gets back.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Even if McCrae is going to be captain, it would be nice to, I don't know, maybe get the C on someone who is on the ice! Then at least there would be someone out there who has the responsibility of getting on the guys, because it looks like no one has taken charge so far this season.

The number one word that I can think of to describe the team so far this season is frustrating, maybe even more so than the 04-05 and 05-06 versions of the team. Spokane has probably played more lackluster games so far this season (just about every one) than they did all of last year. It's like they think showing up is good enough to win. Fortunately for Spokane, the schedule has been pretty weak so far, so they still have quite a few points, but they've been burned already by weak efforts in games against Seattle and Everett and they've had really poor efforts against Portland so far as well this year.

I hate to say it because it's early but it looks like Sauter isn't much of a motivator, at least not as good of one as Peters was. The team has come out way too flat too many times this year for most Chiefs' fans liking. Not having a captain may be part of that, but there are leaders on this team and it's time to pin that C on someone, even if he won't wear it the entire year. These poor efforts are starting to get old really fast. And I hope no one gets me wrong, I don't expect Spokane to win every game, but the effort and desire to play hard should be there. But imo they haven't played a strong 60 minutes yet this year and that shouldn't be acceptable for this team.

One stat for everyone. When Spokane scores 3 or more goals, they are 9-0-0 this year. When they score 2 or less, they are 0-3-3. That says everything you need to know right there.

HomerSimpson
11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Interesting stat with the goals scored comparison. I would be interested to know what that stat looked like in comparison to last year, when we won alot of close, low scoring games.

I have to agree with the points you made about leadership as well. Maybe we're simply spoiled from having Bruton and Peters at the helm last year, but it's definitely not good enough with Sauter and nobody this year. We have at a glance a great leadership core in guys like Compton, Bowman, Spurgeon, Glass etc; but none of them are guys who are going to get in your face and tell you that you aren't doing it right. That's the biggest difference from last year IMO - there were a number of times when I could remember seeing Bruton holding guys accountable - and we all know Peters was the boss. If you didn't do it Petey's way, you were out the door. Just ask some of the former players. I just don't see that from Sauter this year at all. He has seemed out of his element at times, and assistant coach Mendelson literally seems like he's along for the ride. It's a rare - if never - occurance to see him doing much of anything behind the bench. At least when Sauter was the asst. coach, you saw him coaching the defensemen. A few times, Mendelson has put D-pairs on the ice only to see Sauter call them back and give him a glare as if to say "how dare you!"

Whatever the case is - we definitely need some motivation some nights. You are absolutely right about that.

On the other subject - the game last night versus Kootenay got a little bit ugly. It was good to see Bartman fared well in his bout, but unfortunately Redder left with a bloodied nose - I think he was caught off-guard. One thing I did notice was that once Baldwin and Donaghy went on the ice things went almost quiet for the last little bit. Good to see they respect us, at least.

Madcow
11-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah i would say redder was caught off guard a bit at the start of the fight but i would still give him the win by the end of it..

And bartman landed those uppercuts! that was awesome..

Why did kuhn get a game misconduct in that though?

90-91
11-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah i would say redder was caught off guard a bit at the start of the fight but i would still give him the win by the end of it..

And bartman landed those uppercuts! that was awesome..

Why did kuhn get a game misconduct in that though?

They announced it as a 10 min. misconduct over the PA last night........which would make sence since he was yapping with McNabb (who also got a 10 min mis.) after the fight. They both were out of the game since there was less than 10 min. left in the game.

It was good to see that side of Bartman...........he beat the hell out of Sylvester. Boogaard'd

brawler21
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with liking a player - regardless of what they bring. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If we bring in a forward to provide some size and toughness, it needs to be someone who is going to put goals on the board for us. We didn't see them much (obviously) but a few years ago when Moose Jaw had Troy Brouwer, he led them in PIMs, but he also led them in points (or was at least 2nd on the team). I know we probably aren't going to be able to get that caliber of player, but it's possible to do both, and I would be more than inclined to agree that that kind of player would be a nice fit for us. I just don't want to see Speltz bring in a Myles Stoesz-type player ever again. IMO he was a dirty player, and at times was far more detrimental than he was beneficial. Last year, Redder led our team in PIMs, and I think it was a whopping 94 PIMs.....and we had a franchise year.

I think McCrae is our captain. Since there isn't really much talk about it, and nobody has worn the "C" yet, I'm pretty much sure that it's going to be him when he gets back.

kerry toporowski had 505 PIM in the 90-91 cup run...........so what does that tell you? When stoesz was here there was no real talent or team with him so it basically is irrelevent imo.

brawler21
11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Nice write-ups.

are you kidding me? we have some of thee top enforcers in the league. donaghy will stand with anyone in the league and letts has the ability to go with them to. Redder is no slouch and rookie baldwin is already standing with the big boys of the league in mcolm,abney,ect.
Bringing an enforcer in would be like bringing a hamburger to a buffet line
:thumb:

LinkGaetzFan
11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Letts is a top enforcer in the league. Nobody will fight him, probably because of how bad he destroyed Partik Bhungal last year (among others). Look the fight on YouTube. Donoghy and Baldwin are great but Letts definately takes the cake.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Letts is a top enforcer in the league. Nobody will fight him, probably because of how bad he destroyed Partik Bhungal last year (among others). Look the fight on YouTube. Donoghy and Baldwin are great but Letts definately takes the cake.
on Saturday November 15th @ the Credit Union Centre I think Mike Reich will most likely try and convince Ryan Letts to drop the gloves and fight. That is if Mike Reich is playing and I would think that he would not be a healthy scratch because of the Blades injury problems.

Madcow
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
on Saturday November 15th @ the Credit Union Centre I think Mike Reich will most likely try and convince Ryan Letts to drop the gloves and fight. That is if Mike Reich is playing and I would think that he would not be a healthy scratch because of the Blades injury problems.

Why do you think that? just wondering if you know him or something.. would love to see it, never seen reich fight and i can't seem to find anything on youtube

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Why do you think that? just wondering if you know him or something.. would love to see it, never seen reich fight and i can't seem to find anything on youtube
No I do not know him but he is a type of player that likes to fight when there are willing participants on the opposing team.

HomerSimpson
11-11-2008, 09:35 AM
kerry toporowski had 505 PIM in the 90-91 cup run...........so what does that tell you? When stoesz was here there was no real talent or team with him so it basically is irrelevent imo.

I surely think that you'll agree with me when I say that the game is completely different now than it was then. The statistical differences between the 90-91 team and the 07-08 team are wholly different all around. Today's game is more about defense, and last year's Chiefs were all about 5-on-5 play and staying out of the box.

HomerSimpson
11-11-2008, 09:38 AM
No I do not know him but he is a type of player that likes to fight when there are willing participants on the opposing team.

lol Mike Reich.

Let's just say that the trade for Justin Falk might rival the trade for Rutherford.

aaAlta
11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I also dont think you need an enforcer. The classic heavyweight. IMO what you want these days is a few guys that will go, that can do that effectively; and play. That way its more likely you have them on or can get them on when theres crap to sort out. And options when you're looking for a spark. You have that in Letts, Donaghy and Baldwin, at least. Baldwin could be a top scrapper in the league in the future. He definately has the right attitude.

HomerSimpson
11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
What I like about Baldwin is that he actually is a pretty decent defenseman. If you quicken up his footspeed a bit, I think he could be a very effective shutdown guy for us in the future. I think he has all the tools, anyways. Seems like a good enough kid, too...not a knucklehead who's going to check people from behind and take dumb penalties.