PDA

View Full Version : vs. Moose Jaw

SectionNDeserter
10-26-2008, 09:03 AM
I just have to say, after a lot of losses that they worked extra hard in, the boys really needed a win like this!

Like many of their games this season, the Rebels came out hard, and took an early 2 goal lead. And though they took their foot off the pedal throughout parts of this game, Kuemper was there to keep Moose Jaw off the scoresheet. I would say that the score itself belied the actual play of both teams in this game. It was very close for the most part, and both teams were working hard, but some costly errors by one or two Warriors, as well as some fortunate bounces made the score much more lopsided than it could have been.

Egener opened the scoring on a blast that was tipped by the stick of a Warrior defender (Ironic in that Egener was guilty of doing this to his goaltender a few times last season). Second goal Smith just wheeled out of a scrum on the boards into the middle and blasted it past Mathews.

In the second, Ferguson had a nice tip on Kot's point shot (which he was originally credited with) that hit the inside of the post and went in--no chance for Mathews on this one.

After weathering some Warrior pressure, Mappin puts on a burst of speed, runs down the puck and blows past the Warrior defender, who hauls him down, and on his back Mappin scores an INCREDIBLE highlight reel goal. Then the Rebels get a fortunate bounce, when under a heavy Warrior attack, they ice the puck. None of the Warriors backcheck too hard, because they think its going all the way down the ice. Puck hits some snow between the 2 benches, and more or less lands right on Redmond's stick, who breaks in and puts it across to Polak on the 2 on 1 (or 2 on 0?), and Polak buries it in the open net. During the ensuing goal celebration, Hamonic jumps Polak, and Brayden Metz instigates a fight with Coetzee. Not sure what this was supposed to accomplish at this point in the game, but in addition to picking up the instigator and putting his team at a 2 man disadvantage, Metz just totally had his lunch fed to him in this fight--had he not instigated the fight, I would question even giving him a fighting major, as all he did was get punched in the face about thirty times. The Rebels round out the scoring on the 2 man advantage, when Kambeitz deflects a Kivisto shot past Mathews in the dying seconds of this game.

Who/what impressed me in this game;

Cass Mappin: Has raised his game to an entirely new level this season, and the 'second-effort' goal from his back was incredible.

Joel Kot: Continues to impress and it seems like his ice time has doubled, which is good because there was another defenseman that was getting too much ice time...

Darcy Kuemper: Made a few nice glove saves, and picks up the shutout! Good work!

Travis Hamonic: Up until the gutless attack on the celebrating Rebels, he played about the best game I have seen from a defenseman from any team this season (and was by far the best Warrior in the game), and he pretty much had to play both defensive positions at once, because his defensive partner was terrible.

Who/what didn't impress me in this game;

Ryley Grantham: This guy has a place/role in this game, but it sure isn't on the powerplay, yikes!

Clinton Atkinson: Looked completely lost in this game, would have probably been -6 or more had he not been paired with Hamonic.

Brayden Metz: Down 5 goals with 40 seconds left in the game is not the time to start a fight to get your team going, nor is getting humiliated in that fight. Nice work adding to your goalie's misfortunes in this game.

Hitmen1
10-26-2008, 09:23 AM
After watching the Warriors on Friday vs the Hitmen, I thought the game last night would have been a real good game but whatever the Warriors did vs the Hitmen they didn't do last night. Full credit to the Rebels because the Warriors had absolutely nothing all night long. I don't think Kuemper had to make one real big save. I was hoping he would go to center ice when Mathews was calling on for a fight right near the end of the 3rd.

Yeah your right about Ryley Grantham, considering he is a Flames draft pick, I sure wasn't impressed with his game.

Rebrevs
10-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I agree with your comments about Mappin. I also think his work along the boards is powerful. He is really controlling the puck well in that situation.

Was Willie ticked at the end of the game or what. He pulverized that other kid.

So many things went well in this game. They played well, scored, got a shut out and fought well, not to mentions Kambeitz's goal at the end. That kid was pretty excited to get his first WHL goal. It was great to see Cowan track the puck down so Kambeitz could get his souvenier.

Esposito has disappeared..... Literally!! He didn't get a lot of play time in that game. It will be interesting to see how he responds to less play time.

I feel bad for Weller. I'm sure he is choked about the broken wrist complete with pins.

Nature Boy
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I feel bad for Weller as well, he just gets back from an injury and was playing well. What is wrong with Archer? I wanted Kuemper to fight as well. The coaches told him to stay in his net. I thought the Rebels played a good game all around. They played with the lead and didn't let up. Mappin is playing like a beast this year. I thought that was a cheap act by Moose Jaw by trying to start a line brawl with such little time remaining in the game.