PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Deal With The Blades?

Scout
10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Les' Loft

What’s the deal with the Saskatoon Blades?
Posted by Les Lazaruk on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 10:05:00 AM.

It’s a question I have fielded…a lot…in the last couple of weeks since the Bridge City Bunch turned a couple of home wins into a long streak of games without a loss in regulation time.
That streak is still alive and the Blades are in first place in the East Division. To be specific, Saskatoon has collected 21 of a possible 22 points in 11 games since losing 4-2 at home to the Edmonton Oil Kings on October 1. That’s 10 wins and an overtime loss, during which they have out-scored the opposition 48-22. In fact, the Blades have opened the scoring in all of their last 11 games, and opened the scoring in 12 of 16 games this season. Plus, the Bridge City Bunch have scored at least three goals in all 11 games, a pre-season recipe for success! It all adds up to an 11-4-1-0 record for 23 points and a first place standing in the East Division by three points over the Swift Current Broncos…and just three points back of the conference-leading Calgary Hitmen.
Yet, when all of that is said and written, the Blades are Rodney Dangerfield in their home town. They’re getting no respect! That’s because the only point they didn’t take in the last 11 games was at Credit Union Centre when they lost 4-3 in overtime to the WHL’s worst team…the Portland Winter Hawks. Going into the contest, Saskatoon had won eight straight while the Hawks had lost nine-in-a-row and had not won on the road since last season in January. But, last Wednesday, in front of 3,975 fans, the Blades took Portland lightly and got burned. Add that to the season-opening 8-2 loss to Prince Albert at C.U.C. and Saskatoonians haven’t seen the Blades’ best hockey which they have shown on the road.
They have 11 straight games at home to show it!
While the Blades’ home-ice performance so far doesn’t nearly match up to what they’ve done on the road, others around the league have taken notice.
“I don’t think that we are (surprised). We knew they (the Blades) were going to have a very good hockey club this year,” said Lethbridge head coach Michael Dyck before his Hurricanes played Saskatoon this past Sunday. “The way they finished last season, I think they certainly wanted to set the tone this season based on the way they finished last season. So, we’re not all that really surprised.”
The night before, Kootenay head coach Mark Holick was glowing with praise for the Blades, “Mooner (Blades’ G.M. and head coach Lorne Molleken) has them playing really well right now. They might play more of a pro-style game than any team I’ve seen…and they play it well.”
The former Blades’ right winger from 1984-86 also likes the Saskatoon defence, saying he felt that 1 through 6, they might be the best group he has seen so far in the WHL this season.
Yes, after two non-playoff seasons, this is the Saskatoon Blades we’re talking about!
It’s also time to give props to Derek Hulak. The 19-year-old left winger was named captain before the season started by a unanimous vote by the players. And, he has embraced the challenge of leading his home-town WHL franchise…both on and off the ice!
There were those who doubted he could do the job as effectively as his predecessor Colton Gillies. Hulak was coming off a 16-goal, 46-point 2007-2008 campaign…one that was played with a heavy heart after his mother Alina passed away in the summer of 2007 from cancer. I know of his pain…my mother passed away when I was 16 and I spent many months afterwards walking around in almost a zombie-like state, trying to figure out what happened and why! And, how was I going to make it through the next day, let alone the rest of my life!
But, time healed my wounded psyche…and it appears as though it has for Derek Hulak as well.
“Y’know what, I gotta be honest with you, I didn’t know he had it in him to be a team captain,”said assistant coach Dave Struch following Saturday’s 5-4 overtime victory in Kootenay in which Hulak scored a remarkable goal from his knees after deking the entire Ice team on a solo rush. “Definitely a great kid with his work ethic and everything like that. But, this year, in having the ‘C’, he has taken this team of young kids and even the older guys, the 20-year-olds, and he’s brought us to a completely different level.”
Hulak also leads the team in scoring with 18 points, including four goals…a “feel-good” story to be sure!

This Week – So, the Bridge City Bunch are hunkered down at home…playing the first three of 11 straight games at Credit Union Centre. The Blades host Swift Current Tuesday and Calgary Wednesday…two of the top four teams in the Eastern Conference according to the standings. Both will be looking for pay-back after the Blades beat both in recent weeks by 3-1 scores. On Saturday, the Pats will come to town, looking for a measure of revenge for last week’s 8-1 embarrassment in Regina. Game time is 7:05. You can hear it all on 92-9, The Bull…starting with “The Kia of Saskatoon Cutting Edge Pre-Game Show” at 6:30. The Blades are still minus sophomore left winger Curtis Hamilton. The 17-year-old native of Kelowna, B.C. has a partially-torn ligament in his left knee. He likely won’t return until the Blades head off on their B.C. road trip at the end of November.

Blades Player-of-the-Week – There are several good candidates for this, but, very quietly, Walker Wintoneak is piling up some good offensive numbers. Through 16 games, the 19-year-old right winger from Flin Flon, Mb. Has amassed 6 goals and 12 points. This past week, in four games, Wintoneak had 2 goals, 4 assists for 6 points and was a +4. That’s pretty fair production for a third-line forward who is looking to be responsible defensively against the opposition’s top line!

Scout

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I think that the Blades are the REAL DEAL because if they can do this (come back from being down 4-0,win 6-5 and pepper the goalie with 58 shots) against the 3rd best team in the East Division as well as defeat some tough teams from the U.S Division(among other accomplishments) then I think that they are the REAL DEAL as of right now. 58 shots is an astonishing amount of shots for 1 game.This team is so much fun to watch!!