PDA

View Full Version : vs. Kootenay

SectionNDeserter
10-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Another close game, which was probably closer than it should have been given that the Rebels only competed in it for 30 minutes. The Ice opened the scoring after a shot from the top of the circle beat Kuemper, but not the post, and before he figured out where it was, Fraser was there to shovel it in. Red Deer ties it up on the power play, on a nice pass from Morin to Smith at the side of the net, where he tapped it over a sprawling Heemskerk.

Early in the second, there was no chance for Heemskerk as Ferraro scores one off the post and in to take a 1 goal lead. It was then time for a little fisticuffs, Josh Cowen and Jesse Ismond drop the gloves. Cowen buckles Ismond's knees with a nice shot to the jaw, and Ismond gets a few more in after the linesmen jump in. Give the TKO to Cowen. Rebels go down two men on penalties to Cass Mappin and Cullen Morin. Despite the Ice getting a ton of shots during this power play, the Rebels have a big penalty kill. This would usually give the team some momentum, but this was the turning point in the game, as the Rebels had no jump whatsoever for most of the rest of the game.

Halfway through the third, Rintoul ties it up, and in the final minute of the third, Fraser blows one past Kuemper.

Some players/things that impressed me in this game;

Josh Cowen: One of the few players in this game that just kept coming at them, from start to finish.

Darcy Kuemper: Came up with some huge saves to keep this one close.

Cullen Morin: Give credit where it is due, he was actually strong on the boards at times, and set up Smith for the power play goal with an amazing saucer pass in from the blueline.

Hayden Rintoul: This kid is a gem of a defenseman. He made a lot of smart plays, and scored the game-tying goal.

Matt Fraser: The Red Deer boy raises his game a little to stick it to his former team. The first goal might have been going in anyways, but the game winner was an absolute cannon of a shot!

Ian Barteaux: This guy is normally good for 3 or 4 Rebel power plays every time he is in town, but with the full cage on he wasn't a liability to his team at all, and played a strong defensive game.

Who/what didn't impress me in this game;

Whoever picked the three stars: Kuemper had some big saves, but he did allow 3 goals. Matt Fraser scores 2 goals, including the winner, and doesn't even get a star? Carter Smith scores the Rebels' first goal, but then floats for two and a half periods, and gets the 3rd star? Sylvester flops around on the ice for 3 periods, and gets second star? Huh?!?

Diving: Kootenay spent more time on the ice than the Zamboni in this one. Every other time they would turn the puck over, they would flop to the ice and/or do a cartwheel. My personal favorite being when Sylvester took a light nudge from Kivisto and fell to the ice, writhing in pain--at least until he realized everyone was laughing at him, and he quickly jumped up and resumed skating. Derek Herman wasn't buying it at least, but it would have been nice to see a few unsportsmanlike conduct penalties handed out to the Ice in this one.

Shinyshoes
10-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I think you should also mention Negrin. The guy must have played about 45:00 of the game, and was easily the Ice's best Defenceman.

For the Rebels, Ferguson, Penny and Gross had a good game, especially Ferguson. Once he gets a goal under his belt, I get the feeling they could just keep going in for him.