PDA

View Full Version : Weak lineup of goalies int he dub this year?

Allin44
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I really have done no work or investigation into this, but it seems to me that there are a lot of.. well.. weak goalies in the WHL this year. Anybody else notice this?

Nobody in the east has a real showstopper goalie(Holtby in Saskatoon has been decent).

Flathead
10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Guggenberger is in the East and has better numbers than Holtby, 2.31 gaa and 923 save%. Holtby 2.36 gaa and 917 save%. But there aren't an abundance of goalies in the east.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree there is not an abundance of good goailes aroound the league. You mention the East is weak. It appears the West is even worse. Out of the top 15 goalies in GAA, 12 of the goalies are from the East. Only Spokane and Vancouver (with 2 goalies) are in the top 15. 8 out 10 goalies in Save percentage are from the East. Those is a staggering numbers really. I know we (Canes) are probably gonna be in the market for an experienced backup but are there any?

Some of last years top goalies are having a tough year so far:
Pickard .901
Sexsmith .896
Mucha .870
Lazaruk .851
DeSerres .841
Interestingly all 5 are in the West.

tigsfan0809
10-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree, being a Tigers fan, I have been hoping to see Holfeld take the next step this year, but so far it hasn't happened. Jones from Calgary has been pretty good, as well as Guggenberger, when I saw him play the Tigers in SC. IMO, Sexsmith from Vancouver has pretty much been the standard-bearer for the past few seasons, and this year, the G-men have been playing lights out.

wango tango
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
hurricane's rock is right. the east conference is not weak for goaltending. maybe missing lot's of big name elites, but definately not weak.

GAA WHL

5 jones cal
6 guggenberger swift
7 holtby sas
8 kuemper rd
9 heemskerk koo
10 metsola leth
11 stanford pa
12 lieuwen koo
13 rowat reg
14 holfeld mh
15 hayes bran

5 through 15 all eastern conference goalies.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
hurricane's rock is right. the east conference is not weak for goaltending. maybe missing lot's of big name elites, but definately not weak.

GAA WHL

5 jones cal
6 guggenberger swift
7 holtby sas
8 kuemper rd
9 heemskerk koo
10 metsola leth
11 stanford pa
12 lieuwen koo
13 rowat reg
14 holfeld mh
15 hayes bran

5 through 15 all eastern conference goalies.

Goals against is a horrible stat to depict a goaltenders strength. Save percentage is what we should be looking at. Oh and Pickard is highly overrated imo.

wango tango
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
even by save % east conference goalies dominate the top 10 right now.

1 tokarski spo
2 tucker van
3 standford pa
4 guggenberger swift
5 kuemper rd
6 holtby sas
7 jones cal
8 metsola leth
9 zemlak pa
10 gore cwk

7 of the top 10.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
even by save % east conference goalies dominate the top 10 right now.

1 tokarski spo
2 tucker van
3 standford pa
4 guggenberger swift
5 kuemper rd
6 holtby sas
7 jones cal
8 metsola leth
9 zemlak pa
10 gore cwk

7 of the top 10.

Has Kuemper, Tucker and Gore played enough minutes to honestly be included in this list?

wango tango
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Has Kuemper, Tucker and Gore played enough minutes to honestly be included in this list?

yes.

kuemper 10 games 600 minutes
tucker 6 games 314 minutes
gore 11 games 586 minutes

Allin44
11-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Sorry all I meant East Division not Conference

Flathead
11-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Sorry all I meant East Division not Conference
I understood ya.

TwoBits
11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Goals against is a horrible stat to depict a goaltenders strength. Save percentage is what we should be looking at. Oh and Pickard is highly overrated imo.

I'm not sure if I agree. Sexsmith faces 10 shots in a game, gets a shutout and 100% save percentage for that game which then contributes to his overall SV%.

There are so many contributing factors that don't show up in the stats. Like...the calibre of team playing in front of you and the level of difficulty of the shots you are facing.

If you look at some of the #s posted from last year:

Pickard .901
Sexsmith .896
Mucha . 870

I would say Mucha was the best goalie of these three.

It would probably take a rocket scientist with some funky formula to give us a true indication as to which goalie is the strongest. :D

Allin44
11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure if I agree. Sexsmith faces 10 shots in a game, gets a shutout and 100% save percentage for that game which then contributes to his overall SV%.

There are so many contributing factors that don't show up in the stats. Like...the calibre of team playing in front of you and the level of difficulty of the shots you are facing.

If you look at some of the #s posted from last year:

I would say Mucha was the best goalie of these three.

It would probably take a rocket scientist with some funky formula to give us a true indication as to which goalie is the strongest. :D

I am not a rocket scientist, but using the skills I have learned as a neurosurgeon what about taking an average of the shots faced by each goalie/game and then throwing out any game where a goalie faced less shots than average and re-calculating the S%

TwoBits
11-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I am not a rocket scientist, but using the skills I have learned as a neurosurgeon what about taking an average of the shots faced by each goalie/game and then throwing out any game where a goalie faced less shots than average and re-calculating the S%

You crack me up. lol :laugh:

How about giving the goalies of the bottom team of each division a handicap? :D

I think we may just have to stick to what we've got and then read between the lines a bit.

TwoBits
11-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok, my math sucks but I used your neurosurgeonically concocted formula and this is what I found out for the top 5 rated goalies.

total 2606 min played = 43.43 games

total 1131 shots

average shots per game 26

Tucker would have only 1 of his 6 games count and it was a shutout so he would be perfect! :D

Tokarski would have 10 of his 13 count

Spense would have 4 of his 6 count

Sexsmith would have 2 of his 9 count

Jones would have 5 of his 10 count

If we used all the goalies in the league, these top guys might not have any stats at all.