PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ius decides to Leave team

Tipped Off
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
From Nick Patterson's Blog at Heraldnet.com

So the Tips are down yet another veteran as Ius informed the team of his decision today.

The 18-year-old Ius, a second-round bantam pick in 2005 and in his second full season with the team, was a key checking forward and penalty killer for the Tips. However, he cited the desire for a more-prominent role, as well as a dwindling passion for the game, in his decision to leave the team. This is apparently something that's been brewing for a while.

The crux of the situation seems to be a difference in opinion on what Ius' role should be. The Tips presently saw Ius as a checker, a third-line role he's essentially played since becoming a full-time member of the team. However, Ius wants to be an offensive player. He was a scorer at lower levels, but had just seven goals and eight assists in 87 career games with the Tips. He received some power-play time this season, but with the emergence of the 17-year-old rookie line of Kellan Tochkin, Byron Froese and Tyler Maxwell, the opportunity to move into Everett's top six forwards diminished.

Ius hasn't requested a trade. He said he'd like to take a step down and play junior A in the BCHL, where he could rebuild his confidence. However, the Tips have placed Ius on their suspended list, which prevents him from joining another league (although the Evan Pighin saga illustrates that may not be 100-percent effective). Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said he would try to trade Ius, presumably to a team that would use Ius in an offensive role, but that it would be a difficult task.

This is a significant blow to the Tips. Ius was one of Everett's few big-bodied forwards. And with Everett's penalty kill already struggling, losing a top penalty killer isn't going to help.

Personally, Ius always struck me as a player with talent, but for whatever reason it never quite manifested itself in Everett. He would show glimpses of offensive potential, particularly in practice, but the finish was never quite there in games. I'm going to miss him, and hopefully in returning to his home in Pitt Meadows, B.C., he can find his peace of mind.

Ius became the fifth player from last season's team to either leave or choose not to return, joining forwards Vitaly Karamnov, Lukas Vartovnik and Tyler Skauge and defenseman Jonathan Harty. The Everett roster is now almost back to one-half rookies (getting younger and younger). The fortunate thing for Everett is that the Tips should still be OK from a numbers standpoint. Everett was carrying 15 forwards, which was probably one too many for getting everyone the games they needed.

Tipped Off
10-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Kind of a strange quote....he wanted a more prominent role and he's losing his desire to play. Interesting.

Ius is young and seems like he can develop an offensive game...but as I've watched him play I haven't seen the improvement. Like Patterson said, the young guys emerged and blew buy him on the offensive side of the equation. Matt has the body to be a real player, but he needs to have the desire and determination to make it work for him.

Good luck to him.

Hockey Watcher
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Good Luck to Matt I certainly hope he finds what he is looking for.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
These kids are ridiculous already.

T-Bird
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
YOU HAVE NO IDEA - obviously !! You dont know what these kids go thru!! They are just kids that happen to play hockey!! They are emotionally beat up.. generally by coaches or GM's. These kids put up with alot of garbage which they don't deserve! THAT IS WHY THEY LOSE THEIR DESIRE and it is happending more and more often. Coaches think they can and they do whatever they want, they can cut you down, belittle you, squash you!! but it is OK cause they RULE YOU!! AND DONT EVER QUESTION THE COACH!! SO DONT EVER CUT A KID DOWN UNLESS YOU KNOW THE COMPLETE STORY!!

Teacher
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Well said T-Bird,... it is a hell of way to chase a dream when you are always under the thumb of the team....
that said I hope that the Cougars look to make a move for Ius. He could really help a young team and fill a glaring hole in the 18 yr old age group. Maybe a Dale Hunt for Ius trade could happen?

Hockey Watcher
10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
YOU HAVE NO IDEA - obviously !! You dont know what these kids go thru!! They are just kids that happen to play hockey!! They are emotionally beat up.. generally by coaches or GM's. These kids put up with alot of garbage which they don't deserve! THAT IS WHY THEY LOSE THEIR DESIRE and it is happending more and more often. Coaches think they can and they do whatever they want, they can cut you down, belittle you, squash you!! but it is OK cause they RULE YOU!! AND DONT EVER QUESTION THE COACH!! SO DONT EVER CUT A KID DOWN UNLESS YOU KNOW THE COMPLETE STORY!!

That is pretty sad if that is what is going on. those kids dont deserve that from coaches gms or other players.

PLAYER
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
That is pretty sad if that is what is going on. those kids dont deserve that from coaches gms or other players.

I agree with TBird, these kids are under tons of pressure and then get a coach that is not that great and it is a recipe for losing one's desire. I used to say this would be Becanic's last season as a tips coach but I am wondering why the GM would allow vets to leave without questioning the coaching staff... let's hope it is being done behind closed doors as there is a lot of talent leaving the WHL.