PDA

View Full Version : Tips Trade Regier for PG's Hunt

Tipped Off
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Silvertips Acquire Dale Hunt from Cougars
Eighteen year old forward was selected third overall in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft
Everett Silvertips Press Release

After playing three games as a fifteen year old, Hunt cracked the Cougar roster as a sixteen year old in 2006-07.
Everett, WA - Everett Silvertips Vice President / General Manager Doug Soetaert announced Friday that the Silvertips have acquired eighteen year old forward Dale Hunt and a seventh round selection in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft from the Prince George Cougars in exchange for seventeen year old defenseman Jeff Regier.

A native of Sanford, MB, Hunt was the #3 overall selection in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft. Standing in at 6'0 and weighing 197 pounds, the winger appeared in seven games for Prince George this season, scoring once and adding two assists. Through three-plus seasons in the WHL, Hunt has scored 14 times and added 22 assists for 36 points while accumulating 61 penalty minutes.

Regier, of Abbotsford, BC, had two assists and 32 penalty minutes with the Silvertips in 2008-09. Through 58 regular season WHL games, Regier has registered six assists and 51 penalty minutes.

The regular season continues on Friday, October 31st at Comcast Arena as the Silvertips host the Memorial Cup-winning Spokane Chiefs in a Western Hockey League contest beginning at 7:35 pm. For ticket information, including season seats and ticket packages, please call the Silvertips' front office at (425) 252-5100. As always, radio coverage of Silvertips hockey will be provided by North Sound 1380 KRKO, while highlights of audio broadcast, video packages and relevant multimedia will be provided by the Western Hockey League's website, www.whl.ca.

PGFlyfisher
10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
This season with Dale, there was definite improvement in speed and fitness over last season. He has work ethic and a hard slapshot, but still didn' t see the hands when in tight to the goal. Maybe a fresh start with different coaching can help bring that along as he does have serious potential.

What can us fans way up here in the Great White North expect in Jeff Regier?

Tipped Off
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
well, he has good size for a 17 YO, 6'1" - 185. He was just starting to take up the "physical" role on D where he would step in if someone was being picked on. He's got a ways to go to develop into a "solid" D-man, but I think he'll have good 18 and 19 year old season in the WHL. There are other "veteran" defenseman I would have liked to have seen go before Regier.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Does this open up more ice time for McDermott who has been wasting his time sitting in the stands?

the flying moose
10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I wonder if Hunt will blossom in Everett like Dan Gendur did after he was traded from PG?

Tipped Off
11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
PMD - In today's paper Becanic was quoted as saying one of the reason's they looked to trade Regier is becaus ethey wanted to give more PT to Sohor and McDermott. He said they didn't want to get into a situation where Regier was sitting a lot and didn't think that was fair to him.

So I would say yes, this opens up ice tie for McDermott.

Tipped Off
11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20081103/SPORTS/711039850/1003/SPORTS08

Newest Silvertip excited for fresh start

Dale Hunt, a former first-round bantam draft pick who underachieved in Prince George, says coming to Everett was his No. 1 choice.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- When the Everett Silvertips acquired Dale Hunt on Friday, they asked him to meet the team in Regina, Saskatchewan. After all, Hunt was home in Sanford, Manitoba, and the Tips were headed out first thing Sunday morning for their swing through the East Division. It seemed the most convienent solution for everyone.

Hunt was having none of it.

The talented 18-year-old right winger insisted on joining the team as quickly as possible, hopping on a flight that got him to Everett Saturday morning.

That's how thrilled Hunt was to join the Tips.

"I'm just really excited to be here," Hunt said before the Tips boarded the bus Sunday morning. "When I left Prince George everyone was asking me where I wanted to go and Everett was my No. 1 choice. I've always loved coming here and playing in this barn, even as the away team, because it's really exciting. So it's going to be great living here."

Everett acquired Hunt from Prince George, where he had fallen out of favor, along with a seventh-round pick in the 2010 bantam draft in exchange for defenseman Jeff Regier. The Tips are hoping the 6-foot, 197-pounder can provide a boost up front.

"I describe myself as a hard forechecker," Hunt said. "I like to get down there and hit, and then try to put some pucks in the net. I just want to be a positive player and bring lots of energy to the rink every night."

Hunt is considered a player with vast potential who has yet to fulfill it during his WHL career. The third-overall pick in the 2005 bantam draft, Hunt produced just 14 goals and 22 assists in 113 games over four seasons with the Cougars.

"It hasn't been anthing too special, I don't think," Hunt said of his WHL career so far. "Being the third-overall pick I haven't met that expectation. I'm hoping a scenery change will help that out."

The situation in Prince George was further exacerbated when the Cougars sent Hunt home three weeks ago for insubordination.

"There were a lot of personal issues off the ice with the management there," Hunt said. "It was a mutual agreement. We both decided it was best for me to go home and wait for something to happen. I'm lucky to come to a place like Everett."

It's not yet known when Hunt will make his debut for the Tips. Hunt isn't yet in game condition after spending the past three weeks on the sidelines, and Everett coach John Becanic also wants Hunt to familiarize himself with the team's systems before being thrown into the lineup.

The Tips are also tempering their expectations for Hunt as they don't expect him to come in and play like a first-round pick immediately.

But although the Tips are keeping their expectations for Hunt in check, they've had success in this situation before. In 2006 Everett acquired another disgruntled forward from Prince George who hadn't proven anything in the league. Dan Gendur had just 18 points in 92 career games with the Cougars. All he did in his season-and-a-half with the Tips was put up 49 goals and 77 assists in 108 contests.

"We've both joked and referred to that situation with Gendur," Becanic said. "He doesn't by any means expect to put up the numbers Gendur did. But Gendur came with less points than Dale Hunt did, and people said he had this issue and that issue. We just gave Danny a chance to play and become a player, and he met us halfway with his work ethic.

"I said the same thing with Dale: 'We'll do our side as a coaching staff and organization. If you meet us halfway you can be a very talented player and have a pro career.'"