PDA

View Full Version : Game # 18 Versus Warriors

Scout
11-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Game 18 vs Moose Jaw Warriors

TONIGHT’S GAME: The Swift Current Broncos take on the Moose Jaw Warriors for the 4th time this season.

The Broncos are coming off their second straight 4-1 win as they defeated Prince Albert last night on home ice...Christian Magnus, Jan Dalecky, Grant Toulmin and Geordie Wudrick all scored for the Broncos...Travis Yonkman picked up the win in goal.

NUMBERS: Keegan Dansereau leads the Broncos with 9 goals and 6 assists for 15 points; he has points in 12 of the 16 games this year...The Broncos are 7-3 at home and 7-2 versus the East Division… Justin Dowling has points in 4 of his last 5 games and has 7 points in those games…Eric Doyle is tied for 3rd in the WHL for top scoring defensemen with 14 points...He has points in 8 of his last 9 games... Doyle leads the team with a +13 rating, good for 8th best in the WHL…Matt Tassone has points in four straight games…Jan Dalecky has points in 5 of his last 6 games…Geordie Wudrick has points in three straight games…The Broncos are outshooting their opponents by an average of 33-29…They are 6-1 in one goal games…The Broncos have not been shutout in a league best 96 straight games…The Broncos are 9-1 when they score first...The Broncos have only given up one power-play goal against in the last 6 games...The opposition is 1 for 30 over that stretch...Mark Guggenberger is second in the WHL in wins with 8 and 5th in Save Percentage with .923…The Broncos are out scoring their opponents 18-8 in the third period this season…Travis Yonkman is 3rd in the WHL in Goals Against Average with 1.77.

REGULAR SEASON VS. Moose Jaw: The Broncos are 3-0 versus the Warriors this season...They have won by scores of 6-2 and 5-2 on the road and 3-2 at home...The Broncos have outscored the Warriors 14-5 in the three games…Keegan Dansereau has 5 points against Moose Jaw this season.

MILESTONES: Christian Magnus scored his first WHL goal last night… Eric Doyle is 7 games shy of 200 for his career… Keegan Dansereau is 1 game shy of 260 for his career…Spencer McAvoy is 10 games shy of 200 for his WHL career…Grant Toulmin is 8 games shy of 100 for his career.

SPECIAL TEAMS: The Broncos power-play is 16 for 88, 18.2% and the penalty kill is 85.7%, giving up 12 goals on 84 tries.

ROSTER: The Broncos roster currently consists of 25 players...The team has 4 – 20 year old players, 6 – 19 year old players, 5 – 18 year old players, 8 – 17 year old players, and 2 – 16 year old players. Cody Eakin is out of the lineup with a concussion.

DRAFTED BRONCOS: Ryan Molle (New Jersey ‘07)…Matt Tassone (Dallas ’08)...Geordie Wudrick (LA ‘08).

Scout

Flathead
11-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Do you think the Broncos will send in the game tape to have the league take a look at the hit that Howden threw on Dalecky. It an obvious penalty that wasn't called, with the ref standing right there. If the league doesn't want to do anything to Howden they should at least do something to the ref Steve Papp, how you don't call that is beyond me. IMO 5 minutes for boarding would have been the right call.

CrazyGeorge
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Perhaps Dean needs to get some size in the lineup otherwise guys will be getting injured left right and center. Either that or the league checks in to how they acquire their refs...definetly missed called on the hit on Dalecky. Do you think we need a bit more size in our lineup? A good 18 year old out of Everett looks to be traded (Ius I believe is his name)....6'2" 205 lbs...great penalty killer and has skills to score too....just a thought....In Dean we trust!! Good to see at least some emotion there behind the bench. Also good to see everyone playing in key situations. I guess lacke of bodies can do that but Brown, Toulmin are doing great in my opinion.

Flathead
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Perhaps Dean needs to get some size in the lineup otherwise guys will be getting injured left right and center. Either that or the league checks in to how they acquire their refs...definetly missed called on the hit on Dalecky. Do you think we need a bit more size in our lineup? A good 18 year old out of Everett looks to be traded (Ius I believe is his name)....6'2" 205 lbs...great penalty killer and has skills to score too....just a thought....In Dean we trust!! Good to see at least some emotion there behind the bench. Also good to see everyone playing in key situations. I guess lacke of bodies can do that but Brown, Toulmin are doing great in my opinion.
Brown and Toulmin are doing great! Was Wudrick one of the guys coming off of illness that Dean was talking about pregame? A rough hard hitting game and I didn't even notice Wudrick. Tonights game is what a power forward is all about.

Scout
11-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Broncos regain first in East Division standings

The Southwest Booster

It took the Swift Current Broncos half a period to shake off the Halloween cobwebs and rebound from a slow start before extending their current win streak to four games with a 3-1 win over the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors.
Moose Jaw jumped out to a 7-1 edge in shots and a 1-0 lead when Warriors import forward Martin Filo scored his first of the season 11:12 into the opening period.
The Broncos generated just five shots on goal in the opening stanza but they rebound to earn a 2-1 advantage after 20 minutes of play.
Justin Dowling got the Broncos on the scoreboard 13:04 into the opening period when he beat Moose Jaw goaltender Deven Dubyk on a penalty shot. Swift Current went ahead by a 2-1 count with 33 seconds left in the opening period when Keegan Dansereau scored his team leading 10th goal of the season while on the powerplay. Defenceman Eric Doyle set up the goal during a four on three powerplay by passing on a shot opportunity and feeding a wide open Dansereau for the eventual game winning goal.
Rookie Taylor Vause collected his third goal of the season in the middle period to stretch the Broncos lead to 3-1. Dansereau took the initial shot on goal, with the rebound of the shot bouncing off Vause in behind Dubyk.
Broncos netminder Mark Guggenberger stopped 33 of 34 shots to post his ninth win of the season.
Dubyk gave up three goals on 25 shots while falling to 2-3 on the season.
The win gives the Broncos sole possession of first place in the East Division at 13-5-0-0, while Moose Jaw remains last in the East Division at 5-10-0-1.

Scout

dubBeerleaguer
11-02-2008, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=CrazyGeorge]Perhaps Dean needs to get some size in the lineup otherwise guys will be getting injured left right and center.

From what I've seen, Moose Jaw doesn't have much size either. Do they even have a d-man over 6'? Other than Grantham, who on their team is physical?

Toswammi
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I will give Papp the benefit of doubt for that hit. He was literally a few feet away and that can be tough to call from that tight. The linesmen should have been all over that. I thought that there would have been more shenanigans at the end of the game.

ointhecreek
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Perhaps Dean needs to get some size in the lineup otherwise guys will be getting injured left right and center. Either that or the league checks in to how they acquire their refs...definetly missed called on the hit on Dalecky. Do you think we need a bit more size in our lineup?
I think we have the size. Wudrick is 6'4" 214lbs, Claffey 6'1" 193 , Doyle 6'3" 185, Molle 6'2" 199. Just a matter of the guys stepping up and using it. Some of these guys just don't seem to want to go in the corners and hit guys.

Flathead
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I think we have the size. Wudrick is 6'4" 214lbs, Claffey 6'1" 193 , Doyle 6'3" 185, Molle 6'2" 199. Just a matter of the guys stepping up and using it. Some of these guys just don't seem to want to go in the corners and hit guys.
I agree the size is there, we just have to use it better. Toulimin,6'5" 205 and Brown, 6'2" 228 are two more big guys, but they are using there size very well and being rewarded with points, penalty kill time and way more regular shifts. Keep it up guys.
Our defense doesn't have a skater under 6'1", a few are little light on the weight side though.

Scout
11-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Keen's Korner

Sunday, November 02, 2008
Smoke and Mirrors? Broncos 13-5

At what point does the term "smoke and mirrors" just go "poof" and disappear?

The Broncos found a way to win last night to take back the east division lead with a 3-1 win over a hard-charging and desperate hockey Moose Jaw Warriors hockey club.

Although the Broncos lead the division, I'm skeptical to use the term contenders at this point. They are making due with a young roster and winning as a team.

Travis Yonkman and Mark Guggenberger continue to give the Broncos a chance to win every night with sensational goaltending. The numbers don't lie. The tandem has combined for a 2.1o GAA and sparkling .927 save percentage. Yonkman is a perfect 4-0 this season. In my time with the Broncos there has never been a better 1-2 punch in goal.

Credit has to go to Head Coach / GM Dean Chynoweth and Assistant Coach Tim Kehler. They are doing a wonderful job with this club and have had to deal with their fair share of injuries early in the season. Players like Jesse Dudas, Cody Eakin, Matt Tassone, and Jordan Peddle were all out of the line-up last night. A rash of injuries like that could cripple some teams in the league, but the Broncos just get players to step up into those roles. Mike Brown, Taylor Vause, Brad Hoban, Grant Toulmin, Jan Dalecky, Oliver Jokel, Christian Magnus, and Dillon Wagner are doing a great job despite limited WHL experience.

This team is hanging their hat on team defense. 39 goals against is the fewest in the Eastern Conference.

So back to my original question. Smoke and Mirrors or the real deal? Time will tell. But it's been an unlikely start for a team which lost three key players to graduation, and three more to NHL contracts, and four of their top five scorers from last season.

--------------

Broncos 3 Moose Jaw 1

The Hunch Bunch came out strong hitting and forechecking everything. After a few good breaks for the Broncos in the opening minutes, the Warriors finally cashed in by crashing the goal and finding a rebound 11:12 into the 1st period.

While the Warriors dominated the period, the first Broncos pressure resulted in Warriors defenseman Ryan Stanton closing his hand on the puck in the crease which led to a Justin Dowling penalty shot. J.D. scored on a creative forehand deke to tie the game.

Late in the period and on the 4-on-3 powerplay, The Killer D's struck on a nice three way passing play... Dansereau from Dowlng and Doyle to give the Broncos the unlikely 2-1 lead after the 1st period. Dansereau roofed a one-timer from the bottom of the circle on Deven Dubyk in the Warriors crease.

Does anyone shoot a puck better in the league than Keegan Dansereau? The Warriors Joel Broda and Kelowna Rockets Jamie Benn can also fire a puck with a quick hard release. The trio have to be in the WHL's top five in that regard.

The Broncos increased the lead to 3-1 just over five minutes into the 2nd period on a Warriors turnover just inside their blueline. Dansereau's shot put out a rebound to a driving Taylor Vause

The hard hitting, physical play continued on both fronts. Quinton Howden blindsided the Broncos Jan Dalecky hard in the corner which put him down on the ice for awhile. Jan left the game and never returned although Assistant Coach Tim Kehler said in the post-game show that Jan wanted to return but for precautionary reasons they decided to keep him out.

In my opinion, the hit on Jan from Howden was hard and in a dangerous position near the boards but not dirty or with intent to injure. Kehler says the coaching staff reviewed it in the intermission and felt it was clearly a high hit and blow to the head. They passed on that to referee Steve Papp before the third period started.

The Broncos played another solid third period and didn't allow much. They played smart and disciplined and coasted to a 3-1 win handing the Warriors their 5th straight loss and 8 in the last 9 games.

I'm thinking the Warriors are due for a turnaround. If they can play that hard consistently, maybe get some goaltending and some disciplined play, they will get more than their share of wins leading up to and after Christmas.

The Broncos are now 11-1 vs the Warriors the last two seasons.

Three stars:

1) Eric Doyle - 1a - was a horse on the back-end. Did it all.
2) Mark Guggenberger - another ho-hum 33 save performance
3) Keegan Dansereau - 1g, always dangerous

This and that:

- Cody Eakin is back skating with the team after a concussion October 15th. If he continues to progress, he could be back in the line-up Wednesday vs Prince Albert or the following weekend.

- Matt Tassone is day-to-day with a shoulder injury. His status for Wednesday is unknown.

- Jan Dalecky will be re-evaluated Monday after leaving last night's game.

- The Broncos start of 13-5 is better than last year's quick start of 11-5-0-2.

- Keegan Dansereau wore the captain's "C" last night to begin his November term as team captain. He said before the game it's the first time since novice he's been a team captain.

- Jan Dalecky is going to be our next guest for " Mic'd Up" on the Broncos website... look for that later this week at www.scbroncos.com

www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout