PDA

View Full Version : Joe Caliguri

Brandonite
11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
What are fans of P.G. thoughts on Joe so far? Ive noticed he has played a couple games so far and got the only win on their last road trip. He still seems to be allowing 4 or more goals per game, one of the main reasons why he was shipped out of brandon but he seems to be getting plenty of chances with Armstrong. I seen that even Armstrong allows a fair amount of goals but any word on who looks to be taking over the #1 or is Joe stricktly there for the back-up role? Will he be a cougar next season?

TwoBits
11-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I seen that even Armstrong allows a fair amount of goals but any word on who looks to be taking over the #1 or is Joe stricktly there for the back-up role? Will he be a cougar next season?

Based on the past, this is a tough call. PG has a history of a "you win, you're in" philosophy. The past few years it was hard to say who the clear-cut #1 guy was, there was a lot of sharing going on. So, Joe may have been brought in for the back-up role but if he can outshine Armstrong....who knows. It's really hard to go by what's being said right now because 8 months ago Curtis was the future of the team. :rolleyes:

Brandonite
11-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Based on the past, this is a tough call. PG has a history of a "you win, you're in" philosophy. The past few years it was hard to say who the clear-cut #1 guy was, there was a lot of sharing going on. So, Joe may have been brought in for the back-up role but if he can outshine Armstrong....who knows. It's really hard to go by what's being said right now because 8 months ago Curtis was the future of the team. :rolleyes:

Is he still wearing his old wheat kings gear? I know Caliguri had some wicked pads, blocker/trapper & mask with the wheat kings. Brandon guys dont usually get to keep that stuff it seems until their new team gets them new stuff. Best of luck to joe for sure, keep us posted!

TwoBits
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Is he still wearing his old wheat kings gear? I know Caliguri had some wicked pads, blocker/trapper & mask with the wheat kings. Brandon guys dont usually get to keep that stuff it seems until their new team gets them new stuff. Best of luck to joe for sure, keep us posted!

I live in Saskatchewan. :laugh:

But I'm sure the people in PG will keep you up to date.

If you go to the PG Citizen site PGCitizen.ca you will see Caliguri in his yellow and black gear for the Brandon game.

It must take some time to order/receive/break-in new pads.

the flying moose
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
From what I've seen so far I am liking him. Much better than Curtis for sure. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I would love to see Armstrong and Caligiuri have a Scotty Bowles/Real Cyr type thing where there is no "starter" and no "back-up". If you are on a roll and doing good then you get the starts.

Brandonite
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
From what I've seen so far I am liking him. Much better than Curtis for sure. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I would love to see Armstrong and Caligiuri have a Scotty Bowles/Real Cyr type thing where there is no "starter" and no "back-up". If you are on a roll and doing good then you get the starts.

Im a fan of caliguri so i hate to say this but if that is the fact then Caliguri will never be the starter if thats the case! He has a hard time putting together a few wins in a row together which will hurt him down the road. But hey, if he gets on a roll then hopefully he can run with it and make something of it. Will he be there next season?!

TwoBits
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM

These two were a great duo and were able to handle the "inconsistancy" well. Plus, they were good friends. It's very difficult mentally and could throw them both off. It's great for the back-up thinking he might be able to get his foot in the door, not-so-good for the "promised" starter trying to keep his place. Some may say "they'll play better if they know they both have to fight for the start". I think it can be a distraction.

TwoBits
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Im a fan of caliguri so i hate to say this but if that is the fact then Caliguri will never be the starter if thats the case! He has a hard time putting together a few wins in a row together which will hurt him down the road. But hey, if he gets on a roll then hopefully he can run with it and make something of it. Will he be there next season?!

I think it might be a little early to answer this question. Going by age, there's a good chance.

Brandonite
11-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I think it might be a little early to answer this question. Going by age, there's a good chance.

Brandon has sent alot of guys in the past to Prince George. Brett Dickie had a great career in P.G. and I believe even served as captain in his 20 year old season. Dustin Byfuglien blew up in Prince George and now is a bonified all star in the NHL. And Andre Blanchette was supposed to go, but decided to end his junior career in the BCHL. Joe is protected by the Dauphin Kings of the MJHL and Dauphin is hosting the Royal Bank cup next season meaning dauphin is automatically given a birth. The Kings have added a few WHL players who could be eligible next year for their team and if Joe was to go there, that couldnt work out better for him. Play every day, and be the man on a possible championship team!

TwoBits
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
We were discussing the goalie situation for next year when Curtis was sent back to the BCHL. I think Caliguri will be safe if he can show some consistancy. We have Curtis still waiting in the wings and Joel Danyluk (I think) but these guys have limited ice time at this level. By the sounds of it, I don't think Curtis even has a team to play for at the moment, which will really hurt his chances, these young guys should be playing a lot and developing.

Goalies have it rough, there is very little room for error and they're always the scapegoat when things go bad. I don't know why anyone would choose to play this position. :spineyes: :D