PDA

View Full Version : The road gets longer....

SectionNDeserter
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
...with the injury to Egener. I knew as soon as I saw the amount of pain that he was in, and the angle that his knee was dragging behind him, that his MCL was done. We are now missing HALF of our regular blueline, and there is no end to this rash of injuries in sight. Egener is probably our best conditioned player, and he logs a great deal of ice time. With Morin and Petrovic not responding well this season in situations like this where they had to be be 'overplayed', do any of you guys think that we could be seeing a deal to bring in an 'experienced' defenseman of some sort? Or do you think we will see an emergency callup in the form of Woodyatt?

snapshot
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
With Morin and Petrovic not responding well this season in situations like this where they had to be be 'overplayed', do any of you guys think that we could be seeing a deal to bring in an 'experienced' defenseman of some sort? Or do you think we will see an emergency callup in the form of Woodyatt?
If we include Archer, (right now, that's day to day) that makes 3 sets of d, so there is no reason, that any d should get any lopsided playing time. Especially Morin "outside Morin" who has a very slow pivot to the outside which allows players to beat him.

Even if we bring someone up or trade someone for the d, I think the real issue is scoring. You can't win too many games by only scoring 1 goal. We've moved Wray to d, (you've got a 20 year old journeyman forward learning to play defense, because he wasn't effective scoring as a forward) You've got other forwards that have been just as ineffective. They're so busy cycling down low, that they don't even use their defensemen. It's almost like they are playing like a separate team d and forwards. So the real issue is that we need to trade for a scoring forward. Kootenay is not happy with their goal tending, so there must be a forward for Clarke.

RebelsFan
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I will wait for Archer to get back before complaining too loudly. I would have to say that Wray is a better forward than he is on D. With Kot as well, time will tell if he will ever regain the touch he had for the short career he had before his injury. I think it is time to move Clark for some scoring. As was mentioned, we cannot win many games scoring 1 or 2 goals. With the D we have right now we need to get 4 or 5 goals to win games and as yet that isn't happening. Petrovic is big but shows how green he is way too often.

Can anyone explain to me why we gave up Stebner so cheaply for David Aime? I think we could use him now. I checked his stats on the PA website while watching the game vs PA on Livestream and he seems to be doing pretty good stats wise and looked strong. Seems we gave him away way too cheap.

I am liking the play of Coetzee and Mappin seems to be working hard. Ferraro still needs to step up to live up to expectations of his ability. Polak is doing better than last year but still could contribute more.

tiny
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
If we include Archer, (right now, that's day to day) that makes 3 sets of d, so there is no reason, that any d should get any lopsided playing time.

Defencemen

2 Cullen Morin (that you don't seem to be too high on)
4 Luke Egener (may be out for quite a while)
5 Tommi Kivisto (rookie 17y)
6 Colin Archer (may be back this weekend??)
7 Alex Petrovic (rookie 16y)
25 Joel Kot (returning off a year away from the ice)
26 Justin Weller (may be back in mid to late December)

That seems to leave us with 4 d and probably Wray makes 5 for Wednesday.

bennyboots
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
How can Kot return to his true form or even prove himself when he is playing on the third line!!!!!! That Petrovic has only his size. I am disappointed with his play! Give Kot a chance its obvious that hes healthy and hungry to play. All they have done to Kot is pumped him up and now they are treating him like he is a 16 year old with no experience. How would you Feel? I wonder how Kot feels? As for Wray put him back to forward so he can start pounding guys on the boards and digging pucks out! We need help up FRONT!!!!

SectionNDeserter
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
If we include Archer, (right now, that's day to day) that makes 3 sets of d, so there is no reason, that any d should get any lopsided playing time.If Archer returns soon (the way things have been going for us injury-wise, I am not holding my breath), that will give us 5 defensemen, 6 if we keep Wray back there.

Even if we bring someone up or trade someone for the d, I think the real issue is scoring. You can't win too many games by only scoring 1 goal.More scoring is nice, but the fact is, they have averaged 3 goals per game so far--not spectacular, but better than 5 or 6 others in the league, and as far as I am concerned enough to win some hockey games. Remember, Redmond and Cowen are just starting to get back into their first WHL season, after starting the season injured, and Oursov was also being counted on to create a lot of energy out there. We could start to improve on the 3 goals per game rate, once we start to get some healthy bodies back in the lineup...

Kootenay is not happy with their goal tending, so there must be a forward for Clarke.Clarke has been ok this season, but has been slowly edged out by the steady play of Kuemper, and that leaves me wondering how much longer he will be here. Our goaltending has been much better than I ever anticipated it would be this season, due mostly to the strong play of Kuemper.

Can anyone explain to me why we gave up Stebner so cheaply for David Aime? I think we could use him now.Ahh yes, how much you would like to keep EVERY player ever drafted by the Rebels is very well documented. He was playing forward in favor of other 90's/91's that looked far better than him at the time. Unfortunately, there is only 50 players allowed on any WHL team's protected list, and room needs to be made for younger players every so often.

RebelsFan
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
" Ahh yes, how much you would like to keep EVERY player ever drafted by the Rebels is very well documented. "

SectionN, you must be confusing me with someone else. I have never complained that I can remember about the Rebels keeping all of their drafted players. I just don't think Stebner was given a chance. If you remember correctly, he had mono for the first few months of the season then was traded away. If you re-read my post, I wasn't really complaining about trading him, I was complaining that A) we could use him right now B) we got nothing in return.

SectionNDeserter
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Ahh yes, my mistake, I mistook you for 'rebelfan'. Stebner was given as much of a chance as most players at this level get to crack a WHL squad. Being that he was a year older than some of the players he was up against, and they already had a logjam of '90 born players in Polak, Coetzee, Mappin, Archer, Kot, Edwards, Krgovich and Clarke.

Looking at the WHL site, I notice that Woodyatt has just been added to the Rebel's roster.