PDA

View Full Version : Americans and Hurricanes Make Five Player Trade

Stay-Puft
11-05-2008, 05:57 PM
November 05, 2008

Craig West

KENNEWICK, WA - Tri-City Americans Governor/General Manager Bob Tory announced today that the team has acquired 20-year-old left wing/center Mitch Fadden, and two defensemen, 19-year-old Cam Stevens and 17-year-old Brock Sutherland from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for 20-year-old Drew Hoff and 18-year-old defenseman Eric Mestery.

"Anytime you have an opportunity to get a player of Fadden's ability, you have to take a serious look at it," said Tory. "We have added a premier player in Fadden to our lineup and have added depth to our blueline. But by making this deal we give up a quality defenseman in Mestery and a hard working 20-year-old in Hoff. They are going to a premier team in the league and we wish them all the best."

This year, the 6'0, 175 pound Fadden has two goals, five points in nine games. In his final WHL season, Fadden has appeared in 286 career games (between Lethbridge and Seattle) he has 101 goals and 247 career points. The Salmon Arm, B.C. native was a 4th round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2007.

The 6'1, 170 pound Sutherland and the 6'1, 175 pound Stevens both hail from Brandon, MB. This year Sutherland has played in 14 games and has no points and nine penalty minutes. Stevens is in his third WHL campaign has one goal, 2 penalty minutes in 16 games.

This summer, Mestery was a 2nd round draft choice of the Washington Capitals and in 16 games had no goals, six assists and 10 penalty minutes. Hoff recently played in his 150th career game in an Americans uniform and had one goal, four points and two penalty minutes in 13 games this season.

Fadden, Stevens and Sutherland will join the Americans tomorrow in preparation for their debut this Friday night against the Kamloops Blazers, 7:05 pm at Toyota Center. Tickets are available at Toyota center box office or at all Ticketmaster outlets, including Fred Meyer locations. Tickets are available on line at www.ticketmaster.com or call 509.735.0500.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
You guys are gonna luv watching Fadden. He is one of the most exciting players in the league. Don't be fooled by his numbers this year. He is the type of player that could double his point total (5) in 1 game.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Definitely surprised by this trade. Didn't think we'd see too many 20's changing residences after the overager deadline. I don't know too much about the defensemen that the Ams acquired and I know Hoff was a big character guy for Tri-City, but my initial gut feeling on this trade is that Tory fleeced the Hurricanes once again. Time will tell if that's actually the case though. This makes the Tri-City/Spokane matchup on Saturday that much more interesting. I can't wait to see how the teams stack up against each other now!

HAF
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I love this trade!!! Cant wait to see Fadden in action. I see him on the first line with Pro and either Reese or Reddick. As for the D-men, it wil be interesting to see how they develop with the increased ice time I'm sure they will be seeing here in T.C.

dondo
11-06-2008, 01:41 AM
fleeced is right -- this trade makes no sense for the 'Canes. I know Mestery is pretty good, but not that good when I saw him ... TC didn't give up a lot for a whack of depth and some solid performers for now. Fadden is a huge get.

I know the 'canes fans were grumbling about their team and the fact that their highly skilled "on paper" team wasn't performing up to expectations. maybe the 'canes just wanted to shuffle the deck. That's the only reason I can think of..

From the sounds of it this trade was generated from the 'canes side and in the end Tory gave up way too much to get a decent defenseman and a quality 20 year old -- while giving up defensive depth, a 17 year old , a 19 year old and a top line performer like OA Mitch Fadden.

Is Mestery that good and did I just see him on an okay night, or is he better than that? Cause I noticed him, but he wasn't as evident as some others.

loudi94
11-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Don't even count Stevens. If he plays for you, it's because you're desperate. Fadden will get you points but he's not nearly as valuable as Yellowhorn was. Sutherland will be the guy that Tri-Cities will get the most use out of long-term.

Jake
11-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Definitely surprised by this trade. Didn't think we'd see too many 20's changing residences after the overager deadline. I don't know too much about the defensemen that the Ams acquired and I know Hoff was a big character guy for Tri-City, but my initial gut feeling on this trade is that Tory fleeced the Hurricanes once again. Time will tell if that's actually the case though. This makes the Tri-City/Spokane matchup on Saturday that much more interesting. I can't wait to see how the teams stack up against each other now!

The jury's still out on the "fleecing" you've referred to. Roy is certainly willing to do a deal that will serve the team more in the long term than immediately.