PDA

View Full Version : gillies

wango tango
11-07-2008, 01:27 PM
it's agonizing having a small thread of hope.

he was a healthy scratch last night in colorado.

he's played 9 games for the wild, one more and the clock starts ticking on his nhl contract.

if gillies is a healthy scratch again in his hometown of vancouver saturday, i'd say something is up.

the blades injuries to hamilton and toomey would make his addition extra important.

i wish him nothing but success, it'd just be nice if that success was here in saskatoon for one more season.

howley
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
if he came back i'd trade him

Tidball
11-08-2008, 02:25 AM
if he came back i'd trade him

I dont know man. Unless you can get something stupidly good for him, keep him. If you can get an Elliott and a 1st, then trade him, lol.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
If he did come back,and the offers were good I would say trade him,but if he stayed with the Blades that would mean that the Blades would have to do some major line juggling,and it would improve team depth. The Blades are doing fine I would say even with injuries to Hamilton and Toomey. I am sure the Blades will know what to do if by slim chance he did get sent back here. I just wish that time would speed up so we know what is for sure going to happen with Gillies,and then once that is finalized everyone can get out of dream land and carry on with the season.

howley
11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
We would maybe get 35-40 games from him barring injury because he'd be gone for the WJC's. If you can trade him for a younger player who will help the team next year or even a decent draft pick why wouldn't you? Your trading probably 45 or so points this season for a player that could be with the team for 1,2,3,4,5 more seasons. I remember when Seto was traded there were a quite a few people who were surprisingly upset about that trade. Seto is long gone and the Blades could potentially be reaping the benefits of that trade up until 2013/14 season.

CrazyGeorge
11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Gillies was interview on CBC during the second intermission!! Good to see!! Does that make it 10 games now?

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Gillies was interview on CBC during the second intermission!! Good to see!! Does that make it 10 games now?
Yes I do believe that he has played 10 games. Good for him.

Tidball
11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
We would maybe get 35-40 games from him barring injury because he'd be gone for the WJC's. If you can trade him for a younger player who will help the team next year or even a decent draft pick why wouldn't you? Your trading probably 45 or so points this season for a player that could be with the team for 1,2,3,4,5 more seasons. I remember when Seto was traded there were a quite a few people who were surprisingly upset about that trade. Seto is long gone and the Blades could potentially be reaping the benefits of that trade up until 2013/14 season.

Yes but heres the difference. We traded Seto because we were a crappy team. Keeping Seto wouldnt have helped that much.

Now we are a good team currently in 1st place of the East division(But that will change automatically as Regina and Swift play eachother tonight) With Gillies we could turn from a good team to a great team.

Trav
11-09-2008, 08:48 PM
thats all I can say. Hope they pay for their stupidity.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
thats all I can say. Hope they pay for their stupidity.
They may be and I do not really know what you were trying to say but yes that is a bad thing when a team drafts a tremendous player out of Bantam @ 15 years old,and only to be whist away to a league where men play while the player may still have junior eligibility left but those are the facts of life. Sure it would be nice to see Gillies in a Blades jersey for one more season. The Blades are still playing well. At least we will be able to watch Gillies on TV.

Trav
11-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Taking a higly touted forward out of the WHL at age 18 or whatever he was and where is he now, on the Oilers farm team if im not mistaken. I guess the Wild didn't.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Taking a higly touted forward out of the WHL at age 18 or whatever he was and where is he now, on the Oilers farm team if im not mistaken. I guess the Wild didn't.
Ok I was telling people the same thing,I did not want to see his(Gillies) career get wrecked liked Brule's almost was. Would it really hurt his development that bad if he played one more year in the WHL? If he did play with the Blades this season I am sure he would put more butts in the seats like Setoguchi did.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-29-2008, 03:39 PM
He has only played 11 games and has 3 assists. Some NHL teams do really know to try and ruin a teenagers hockey career. I am sure that Gillies would develop much better in the WHL for 1 or 2 more years. (I do not care if he has nothing to prove in the WHL) He sure is not tearing it up in the NHL. This is really starting to make me angry and then on top of it all when the Wild Head Coach was getting angry at the kids for not performing to his standards. GIVE THEM A FREAKING BREAK!!!!

Just because they are a good player at the Junior level does not mean that they will become a star at the NHL level right away. Simple as this: if a young player is not going to be the given ice time then send him back to a team where he will be able to get more ice-time.

wango tango
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
from the minneapolis newspaper blog...

Speaking of Gillies (I made you wait long enough), I talked to Tommy Thompson, the Wild’s co-assistant GM so to speak, this afternoon.

Last week, I reported that the Wild had not yet talked about whether Gillies should play in the world junior tournament but that Canada wanted him. Last month, Canada head scout Al Murray made that clear to Thompson.

This afternoon, Thompson said the Wild has begun internal discussions on whether it should release Gillies next week to Team Canada (Canada can add players to its 38-player selection camp roster. Camp begins Dec. 11).

Thompson told me, “It’s Doug’s call,” so there is no doubt this is something the Wild is at least considering. Doug, being Risebrough, obviously. Gillies, who won gold with Canada last year, has been scratched in 10 of the last 13 games and 12 times this season. If he’s not playing or making an impact, this is something to consider for the Wild.

From 2002-04, the Wild let Nick Schultz, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Brent Burns play, respectively. The Wild didn’t let James Sheppard go last season because Wes Walz retired and Mikko Koivu broke his leg.

end of article

if gillies were allowed to play for canada at the world juniors, would the choice then be for him to go to saskatoon or to minnesota? i think the absolute final deadline date is the January 10 whl trade deadline, because teams have to declare their final roster.

Dwight Schrute
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
didnt they only let burns go during the nhl lockout season ?

wango tango
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
didnt they only let burns go during the nhl lockout season ?

i don't know about that.

would be great to see gillies assigned to team canada, and then to saskatoon so the kid can make an impact. he'd be a great addition just before the trade deadline, and toomey would be ready to come back from long term injury about the same time. it'd be like adding two impact players without giving anything up.

Trav
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
AGAIN, wonder if we could see Molleken go after Tyrell before or at the trade deadline.

wango tango
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
AGAIN, wonder if we could see Molleken go after Tyrell before or at the trade deadline.

i'd just be worried thompson in pg would want to get his pound of flesh back for the setoguchi trade. and ask for a ridiculous price for tyrell.

Trav
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
i'd just be worried thompson in pg would want to get his pound of flesh back for the setoguchi trade. and ask for a ridiculous price for tyrell.

Who would wanna play for the Cougars though? I bet the Blades top prospects wouldn't.