PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 3 @ Wheat Kings 5

Big Ern
11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
The Swift Current Broncos held on for 40 minutes and played a great road game, but just could not keep Brandon's dynamite offense off the board in a red-light-filled third period.

-the coaching staff had to be happy with periods one and two. The Broncos had a few issues with offensive execution, but otherwise were on their way to playing an awesome road game, keeping the explosive Wheat Kings to just 12 shots on goal through two frames. A 1-1 game after two periods in Brandon....I would imagine....is very exceptable.

-the third period was a different story though. Swifty struck early on Cody Eakin's second goal of the game....and looked to have continued a momentous second period. From there it just all collapsed....maybe the tell-tale stat was the sluggish play of two Bronco rookie defensemen tonight. Against Brandon plays like that can cause that long-feared goal, followed by an offensive outburst which is exactly what happened.

-the team as a whole was not very good in the third period...especially the defence....not just the rookie defensemen. It's a team sport and everyone has to be responsible, even the forwards.

-what can I say about Cody Eakin? He wowed fans in his home province....being by far the best Bronco on the ice tonight with three goals to show for it. All three were caused by great net presence and a nose for offense. Incredible job by Cody.

-the Wheaties' offense can also be credited...once again. They were sorta quiet through two periods, but McCrimmon said in the post-game show that their big guns were challenged to do better in that third frame...I guess it worked. How about the hands of Matt Calvert...and the resilience of Brayden Schenn? It was pretty to watch actually......even from my point of view as a Swift Current fan.

-Derek Claffey was exceptional and noticeable in this game. He dished out some hits and was pretty good defensively.

-it seems like Brandon's goalie situation is certainly not sorted out yet...if the Wheaties want to be contenders this post-season. From talking to fans, they definetly don't feel like they have "the guy" yet.

-2-man referee system? I swear I have only seen the two referees in one game out of the Broncos' last seven. Tonight was no different with just one on the ice (Trevor Hryciuk). A few infractions go by the wayside...I guess we are all used to seeing everything called now.

-1 penalty infraction by Brandon tonight? It'll be a LONG time before I believe that.....it is what it is I guess.....

-the Broncos' long stretch of successful penalty killing came to an end tonight as Matt Calvert scored a PP goal at 6:20 of the third.

The Broncos now sport a record of 14-6. I'm sure they were NOT happy with that third period but can sure learn from it and move on and put forth a complete effort in Regina...they almost had Brandon. Newly aquired Matt Ius is expected to make his Bronco debut on Sunday at the Brandt Centre...I'm interested to watch him play....and to see the Swift Current/Regina matchup in general. Of course the Broncos are battling injuries...but it's part of hockey. They now get a day off, and a chance to go 1-1 on this two game East swing.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

JUST NOTES:

-the ominous smell of animals was very present in the rink lobby tonight. lol Not that it means anything, but it's a truly unique fact about the Westman Place I guess. :):) I do however like the overall setup of the rink and ag grounds with the hotel and everything attached....all (9 ACRES!) under one roof. Fascinating.

-I'm spending my spare time with friends in Hamiota, Manitoba....a small town just 100 KM Northwest of Brandon. It's truly "FRIENDLY MANITOBA"....I've been treated very well. Tomorrow will feature a small Rider watching party and of course some Hockey Night in Canada, before the trip to Regina early Sunday morning. It's been fun so far.

-and I got to meet another member of whlfans tonight....sbtatter over from the Brandon forum. He made good on his promise to buy me a suds....and it was awesome to meet yet another member of the hockey discussion website some of us visit and like so much.

-it's a BIG weekend for the Chynoweth family, as the late Ed Chynoweth gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Deano is headed for Toronto and Tim will be flying solo Sunday in Regina. We'll see how that goes!

Have a great night.