PDA

View Full Version : King/Melnychuk

dagley
11-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Get rid of both this guys, bring on the haterade :D

The Wheatiemaniac
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Everyone except McCrimmon can see what a major liability Melnychuck is. And why is King and Melnychuck on the ice and Stone and Miller in the stands? Is this how Kelly likes to develope players, by not ever letting them play? Same ol', same ol'.......

WHEATMAN
11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Its too soon to throw Melnychuk under the bus, after all he played well last year and is still 17, I say we keep him, but he should be given less ice time, while Miller gets more, I really like Miller. As for King though...He is just bad, and I really hate saying that as the kid is trying, but he just doesn't have it, he would struggle to be an average player in the MJHL. I used to think Topilko was a bust, but King makes Topilko look like Wayne Gretzky.

sbtatter
11-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I think Melnychuk will be ok.
I don't understand why Miller gets so little playing time. He's aggressive, he hits and he tries to get involved in the offence. Forwards don't like playing against him because they know he's going to plant their face into the boards. He adds some of the grit that this team lacks...

Vik
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Weren't you guys proclaiming Melnychuk the next Redden last year?

Brandonite
11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Sanfed King is the biggest 1st round bust in history! Like I said before in the past, he would just be an average player in the MJHL and thats where he belongs! Maybe the Dauphin Kings can pick him up or something, but he just doesnt have what it takes to play at this level! Like someone else said, i used to think topilko was brutal and yeah it took him 4 years to get rollin but with King, hes never going to pan out and everyone knows it except McCrimmon beacuse he continues to play him! Melnychyk has gotten worse compared to last season! For a guy who was talked about for the up coming draft being a possible top 2 rounds guy, hes gonna be lucky to get drafted period at this rate!

sbtatter
11-09-2008, 03:23 PM
He's not the next Redden but he's a lot better than some are saying

dagley
11-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Definitely not.

Allin44
11-09-2008, 04:59 PM
He had traits similar, but hes actually regressing, which is.. not good

Brandonite
11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Last season there was lots of talk about the 3- 16 year olds scott glennie, brayden schenn and brodie melnychuk and now you hear nothing about Melnychuk at all except negative! I do think people are too hard on him and that he should just be playing less and told to quit trying to rush the puck when hes the last man back!! If he wasnt thrown into the situations he is in he would do better i think, i just dont think hes ready to do the things mccrimmon is getting him to do and the amount! King well...enough said

Section Eight
11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Everyone except McCrimmon can see what a major liability Melnychuck is. And why is King and Melnychuck on the ice and Stone and Miller in the stands? Is this how Kelly likes to develope players, by not ever letting them play? Same ol', same ol'.......

Not sure if your talent assessment can be accurately portrayed as "everyone" ...

Most of what is written on the BWK site is the mindless ramblings of four or five guys who I'm betting have NEVER played a day of junior hockey in their life.

A couple of wins and this team is world beaters, a couple of losses and this team is awful, yup same old, same old.

The Wheatiemaniac
11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
However, the same things have happened ever since Kelly McCrimmon appointed himself Coach near the end of the 03/04 season with the firing of Mike Kelly. When you compare how well prepared teams are compared to the blindfolded game of keepaway that Mr. McCrimmon refers to as a powerplay amongst other things we bear witness to night in and night out, it becomes painfully obvious to anyone whether they have played junior hockey or not. But since owners aren't about to fire themselves, we the money paying public have to keep watching the same gong show every year. I've been a fan since I moved to Brandon in 1973. And when you go from the late, great Dunc McCallum to Bob Lowes to Dean Clark then to Kelly McCrimmon who coddled Dittmer and Kauk like they were the second coming of Gretzky and Messier......
He's possibly the best GM in Junior hockey, but as a coach he hasn't developed anything but a pile of ticked off season ticket holders who pay $300/year to watch Mr. McCrimmon play "King of the Castle".

Brandonite
11-10-2008, 06:45 AM
However, the same things have happened ever since Kelly McCrimmon appointed himself Coach near the end of the 03/04 season with the firing of Mike Kelly. When you compare how well prepared teams are compared to the blindfolded game of keepaway that Mr. McCrimmon refers to as a powerplay amongst other things we bear witness to night in and night out, it becomes painfully obvious to anyone whether they have played junior hockey or not. But since owners aren't about to fire themselves, we the money paying public have to keep watching the same gong show every year. I've been a fan since I moved to Brandon in 1973. And when you go from the late, great Dunc McCallum to Bob Lowes to Dean Clark then to Kelly McCrimmon who coddled Dittmer and Kauk like they were the second coming of Gretzky and Messier......
He's possibly the best GM in Junior hockey, but as a coach he hasn't developed anything but a pile of ticked off season ticket holders who pay $300/year to watch Mr. McCrimmon play "King of the Castle".

I agree 110% on the whole McCrrimmon taking some of these guys when they just never developed! Like Dittmer & Kauk!! He always seems to love these AAA kids who ripped it up thinking they are gonna do the same at the WHL level but it hasn't worked out fully like that recently! Dittmer was a bust until really his final year, Kauk was brutal, King is awful, Green never lived up to the AAA scoring champion he was but still a great pick up. Its frustrating watching some of these players who yes had great AAA careers but clearly dont have what it takes at the WHL level and McCrimmon still leaves them in. I guess it could be worse, Nick Dietrich is in Portland and has done NOTHING the whole time ever since last year and it makes you wonder how guys like that stick in the WHL when they never produce points and dont fight...?

Vik
11-10-2008, 05:43 PM
it makes you wonder how guys like that stick in the WHL when they never produce points and dont fight...?
Because there's more to hockey than scoring and fighting?

Section Eight
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Do yourself a favor and compare Crim's coaching results (04/05 to present) with that of most any other coach in the WHL and you might be surprised with what you find.

As a paying WK ticket holder you're entitled to rag on and on about King, Melnychuk etc. etc. but from the WK bench you have to have something better to put into your line-up - AND RIGHT NOW THEY DON'T - before King or anybody else will be shipped out of town.

Brandonite
11-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Because there's more to hockey than scoring and fighting?

I hear what your saying but really come on now! If you dont score goals EVER or even get an assist EVER and has maybe got into one fight in 2 years, I just gotta wonder what he brings to that team to stick around as long as he has! Even grinders score goals the odd time or get the odd point. Nick Dietrich of the winterhawks is a guy i have never understood how he has kept in the league as long as he has! Sanfred King is bad yes, but what has Dietrich done in Portland or Lethbridge??

Brandonite
11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
You cant tell me that Sanfred King is honestly in the coaching staffs minds for next year. He does not belong and needs to go already! I even seen last a while ago at a game in brandon where a bunch of kids were wearing shirts that said "KING SUCKS" on the back! Good god, the kids from brandon and he just gets ripped on ridiculously! He needs to get out quick already

The Wheatiemaniac
11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Do yourself a favor and compare Crim's coaching results (04/05 to present) with that of most any other coach in the WHL and you might be surprised with what you find.

As a paying WK ticket holder you're entitled to rag on and on about King, Melnychuk etc. etc. but from the WK bench you have to have something better to put into your line-up - AND RIGHT NOW THEY DON'T - before King or anybody else will be shipped out of town.

There's a 16 year old kid named Jordan DePape playing for the Winnipeg Saints from the Wheats system. He's in the top 20 scoring there, and blows the doors off King, Cowan, and isn't far behind guys like Green. Kelly McCrimmon has made it blatently obvious that he favours the hometown boys like King, and Kauk, and Dittmer. Disagree all you want, but I defy anyone to prove me wrong. I'm far from alone in this theory......take a poll next time you're at a game.

As for his coaching record.....aside from 04/05 where we had 2 seven game series against teams we shoulda ran over, what is there to show for it all? Two playoff eliminations far sooner than should have happened. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Vik
11-11-2008, 12:44 AM
I hear what your saying but really come on now! If you dont score goals EVER or even get an assist EVER and has maybe got into one fight in 2 years, I just gotta wonder what he brings to that team to stick around as long as he has! Even grinders score goals the odd time or get the odd point. Nick Dietrich of the winterhawks is a guy i have never understood how he has kept in the league as long as he has! Sanfred King is bad yes, but what has Dietrich done in Portland or Lethbridge??
I can't ever remember seeing Dietrich play so I can't speak for what he brings but...I mean...how good do you have to be to play for Portland? Their leading scorer last year only had 34 points.

There's a 16 year old kid named Jordan DePape playing for the Winnipeg Saints from the Wheats system. He's in the top 20 scoring there, and blows the doors off King, Cowan, and isn't far behind guys like Green. Kelly McCrimmon has made it blatently obvious that he favours the hometown boys like King, and Kauk, and Dittmer. Disagree all you want, but I defy anyone to prove me wrong. I'm far from alone in this theory......take a poll next time you're at a game.
There's a 16 year old named Jordan DePape who is only 5th on his team in scoring in the MJHL. If he's such an improvement on King and Cowan, why don't we go for the 4 guys on his team that are doing better than him? Have you actually seen DePape play? He may be a good prospect but in two MJHL games, showed me nothing that suggests he should be in the WHL right now.

As for his coaching record.....aside from 04/05 where we had 2 seven game series against teams we shoulda ran over, what is there to show for it all? Two playoff eliminations far sooner than should have happened. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.
What two losses far sooner? Losing to a superior Calgary team or the eventual winners of the Eastern Conference in Lethbridge?

Section Eight
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=The Wheatiemaniac] Disagree all you want, but I defy anyone to prove me wrong. I'm far from alone in this theory......take a poll next time you're at a game.

I watch Depape play in the MJ once or twice a month. The fact that "WK fans" think he is ready for the WHL doesn't mean squat. He's not there right now because as a 3rd or 4th line player he's just not good enough in both ends of the rink.

There's an old saying that applies, let the players play, let the coaches coach and let the fans rant and rave on WHL FANS :dead: