PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen 2 @ Broncos 1

Big Ern
11-11-2008, 06:47 PM
A spirited rebound effort was not quite enough for the Broncos tonight, as they fell short 2-1 to the top team in the conference, the Calgary Hitmen.

-I thought our whole team played with a lot of emotion tonight...from the goalie on out. All three periods saw them make some good plays, stand up to a great Hitmen squad, and give themselves a chance to win.

-what an exciting game! This one had it's share of devastating body checks, great saves, and breath-taking scoring chances. To top that off, the playoff atmosphere was present....these two teams really went at it.

-tonight the difference was execution. The Broncos got three or more clear opportunities to put the puck in the net and failed to convert. That included a break-away, a deadly setup in front, and a quick shot at a wide open right side of the net. The Hitmen got one good chance on a give-away, and managed to put it away for the eventual winning goal.

-a few fans may point to the first period 5 on 3, on which the Broncos failed to convert. They were seemingly holding their sticks a bit tightly on that one, and Calgary, who's penalty kill syle is similar to the Broncos' did a great job pushing the pace and forcing guys to make their move. I wouldn't exactly point to the 5 on 3....the bottom line is the guys had a 1-0 lead after one period. On a different note, looking at the powerplay overall, 1 for 6 will hardly get the job done.

-our defense did their part tonight. IMO Spencer McAvoy was very deserving of second star honours...his goal going in was to be a lot better than this last weekend, and he was that. Otherwise, the rest of the D did a tremendous job keeping the big line for Calgary at bay.....the Brandon Kozun line. Doyle, Rogers, and Martin were also stellar.

-the forwards did work hard. Keegan Dansereau definetly helped in setting the tone....unfortunately some nights it just doesn't go your way, and the Broncos were right there with Calgary but Martin Jones made some timely saves and clearly looked like a go-to goaltender. Jordan Peddle returned from his concussion injury.

-the Hitmen at no time looked unbeatable. However.....they played a very solid positional game and managed to grab a greasy win on the road.

Few people mind losing when the Broncos perform like they did tonight....it was really close, and guys worked their butts off. I think the fans are pleased with the work ethic. It was an awesome Remembrance Day tilt.

On the other side, the Broncos are on their first 3-game skid of the season. They will face a tired, but angry Everett team coming up this Friday night after Everett took a 6-3 loss in Brandon this afternoon. Our team will have to find a way to generate a bit more offense, get big games from big players, and keep the stellar defensive play at the level it was in this afternoon's contest.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

JUST NOTES:

-great presentation before the game for Remembrance Day. I'm sure all in attendance would agree.

-awesome afternoon crowd of 2360 in attendance. It helped create a playoff-like atmosphere.

-excuse me, while I go watch Dallas @ L.A. The Stars are shoring up!! :)

Later.

Broncs in RD
11-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Ern Execution was the key, we had a even better goalie in tonight, but Calgary scored more goals. With a trade or two we may get that top notch scorer.

People with Everett in town there may be a trade happening.....Beach?
Like transplanted said in another post, if we want consistency maybe keep the lines together a bit more, lets go with what works.

hitmanfan
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
What happened to Yonkman? He was stellar last year in the playoffs. How was the tilt between Stone and Wudrick?

Link Dog
11-11-2008, 11:15 PM
hitmanfan What happened to Yonkman? He was stellar last year in the playoffs. How was the tilt between Stone and Wudrick?
For whatever reason, we are rotating between the two keepers. For now haven't heard any displeasure about it from either one. Seemed like the Hitmen were looking for Wudrick all night. Seabrook was in his face early in the game and Stone went right at him to start the altercation. As for the fight, Woody proved he's not a scrapper and Stone kept swinging till his arm got tired.

Scout
11-12-2008, 09:01 AM
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak on Friday when they host the Everett Silvertips.

Tuesday the Broncos fell 2-1 to the visiting Calgary Hitmen in the two teams’ first meeting of the season.

The Broncos jumped out to a first period lead on Geordie Wudrick’s powerplay goal, his fifth of the season, but allowed second period goals to Brett Sonne and Carson?McMillan.

Despite numerous scoring chances from Jordan Peddle, Keegan Dansereau, and a third period shot fired of the post from Mike Brown, the Broncos were unable to even the score.

With 2:59 remaining in the contest it looked as though the Broncos had evened the score during a goal-mouth scramble but referee Graham Skilliter ruled that the puck had entered the net after it had been dislodged.

The loss dropped the Broncos to 14-8, while the Hitmen improved to an Eastern Conference best 18-4-1-0.

Overage defenseman Spencer McAvoy said it isn’t time to panic just yet.

“Well you know everyone goes through it. We had a great start there at the beginning and we are still 14-8. Everyone goes through a losing period. I thought that at least tonight we had the work ethic and were clawing until the end because the last two nights in Regina and Brandon weren’t so great.”

McAvoy said there were some positives from the Broncos performance.

“We were working pucks down low, trying to get them to the net for the most part, they block a lot of shots. I thought our forwards were driving the net well and when we got things going down low we generated more.”

Newly acquired forward Matt Ius weighed in on the loss.

“We played an alright game tonight it was just little things that kind of killed us. I had a bad turnover in the second there and it cost us a goal.”

Ius was not happy with his first game on home ice.

“A lot more, they can expect a lot better then that I hope. I am still trying to find my legs, getting used to the time change here but I plan on playing a lot better then that so just bear with me here.”

Nonetheless Ius is excited to be a Bronco.

“I think they are a great group of guys and an unbelievable organization. The coaching staff has greeted me with open arms and they are giving me lots of opportunities and I have to start capitalizing on that opportunity.”

Scout