PDA

View Full Version : vs. Medicine Hat

SectionNDeserter
11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Like a lot of their games this season, Red Deer opens the scoring, and it is a 3-2 game by the end of the first on Mappin's 13th goal of the season, and Ferraro's 13th and 14th goals of the season.

Penalties to Morin and Archer in the 2nd led to what I can only describe as the worst 2 man advantage for any team that I have ever seen. Their only scoring chance on the 2 man advantage came on a very obvious pick play on the half boards that was ignored by both refs, and the Tigers surrendered 2 shorthanded goals on it. A completely laughable boarding call on Petrovic, and a bad clearing attempt over the glass by Cowen sets up another string of power plays, which led to Medicine hat getting those two goals back before the end of the 2nd.

Dunstall ties it up on the power play in the middle of the 3rd, and Red Deer hangs on for the tie in regulation, after a lot of pressure on a tired looking Rebel team. Overtime solved nothing, and Brett Ferguson gets the game winner in the shootout.

Who/what impressed me in this game;

Cullen Morin - I know, it doesn't happen often, but this was one of the few nights this season where his pros outweighed his cons. Great goal out of the penalty box, and one of the first times that I can recall in recent history, where in this situation, the player coming out of the box wasn't one of the Rebels least skilled players offensively.

Brennan Wray - At some point this season he could move back to forward, and I have a feeling that we are really going to miss him on our back end. Was one of our better defensemen again last night.

Colin Archer - He is really making guys hate crossing our blueline, and made a few nice breakout passes last night. I hope he can continue to be healthy for the rest of the season.

Zdenek Okal - This little guy took tons and tons of abuse last night, and just kept coming at us. Very rarely do you see an import player willing to pay the price like he does.

Mark Isherwood - Does this guy ever have a bad game?

Who/what I didn't like last night;

Josh Cowen - I like the grit and energy that he brings to the team--but taking STUPID penalties at inopportune times is going to be what makes or breaks him on this team.

Rebel's penalty kill - It is bad, and it looks like it might actually be getting worse.

Steve Papp and Ryan Bennett - I swear to god, I almost saw Papp start to raise his hands to celebrate one of the Tiger's goals... Tigers blueline played the whole first period with one hand on their stick, and the other with a handful of jersey. Also the pick during the 2 man advantage, and McCue skating 80 feet to straight arm Kivisto 6 or 7 seconds after the whistle would have been two very obvious opportunities to even the calls up a bit, rather than the weak calls they did make.

Cody Carlson - By far the worst player on the ice for either team. Was out of position a great deal on all the goals he was on the ice for, turned the puck over a lot, got beat on the outside a lot, and it was a pretty easy time for whatever Rebel he happened to be checking (from a physical standpoint).

tiny
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Nm