PDA

View Full Version : Cameras in PNE?

Priceisright
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a camera with an 18-200mm lense. Will the PNE allow this into the Giants games?

Thanks

dondo
11-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I saw a few lenses about that big today, so i don't believe it will be an issue PIR

johnnyradiant
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I've been in there to Giants, World Juniors, and the Mem Cup games with a couple different tele zooms of similar physical dimensions and one a bit longer. I have never been stopped at the door, but during the Mem Cup games the usher in my section rode me real hard during a couple games. The seats for those games weren't great picture taking seats for the quality of lens (beside the media booth), but good enough for memories. During the Wrld Jrs I was right behind Pogge's right shoulder at the Col. and half a dozen rows up for the GM Place match-ups and nobody batted an eye.

I had my 80-320 at Fri night's game (Nov. 15) sitting right by my section's usher and he didn't bat an eye.

I believe technically they have the right to say no, but it seems not often they follow through.

I should also say I normally walk in with the body in one pocket and the lens in another, but I have been known to walk in with it around my neck.

dondo
11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I find that as long as you don't block any other patrons from seeing the game , they have no real problem with people taking pictures.

I have only really seen the usher's do something when someone is standing in the aisle blocking other fans or right up at the glass and blocking other views.

Not surprised about the ushers riding you hard during the Mem Cup , though as they were having a hard time finding space for media camera guys and would have a tough time accommodating extras who weren't accredited.

johnnyradiant
11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I was sitting in my seat taking pictures, except when everyone around me was standing. My location was such that even with a long lens, or at least with the lens I had, the yield is nothing much better than a snapshot. This particular usher, that I didn't recognized as seeing on a regular basis, or since then, just seemed to be reacting to a lens that was physically long. With my location then to get anything to come close to threatening any media worthy images, I would have needed to invest a lot more money on a long prime than the $400 zoom I had, my good monopod or a better tripod than I currently own would have needed to be between my camera and the floor, and I probably would have needed a Pocket Wizard plugged into my camera to tap into the house strobe system. The other ushers that worked my section during the Mem Cup series didn't bat an eye and even one chatted with me.

Either way don't get in people's way on a regular basis, don't take up aisles or stairwells, and don't flaunt the camera and nobody will likely bat an eye.