PDA

View Full Version : WHL POTW - Andy Smith

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
http://luberslounge.blogspot.com/2008/11/whl-player-of-week.html

That's what a little more ice time will do for someone. Sadly this team is in trouble next season when the 3 20's are gone. Congrats Andy.

SaskHockeyFan
11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Congrats to Andy! Just to be clear, he quit PA and went home to wait for a trade.
Andy's offensive abilities were never in question. Did Bruno use him the right way, no. Has he had lots of opportunities while in PA, yes. He has been with PA since he was drafted and has shown good skill at times and then totally disappears for games on end. Hopefully for Andy the situation in Chilliwack will be better than playing a third or fourth line checking role in PA. I could hardly imagine how it wouldn't.
Bruno is putting all of his hopes on the 3 - 20 year olds to take him to league final. Yes you are correct, PA is in big trouble next year. Bruno is way over his head being coach and GM. His first job as GM right now should be to fire the coach.(and no it's not because they have lost the last two games). Very few guys can be coach and GM in this league and how the Raiders brass figured Bruno Campese, with very little WHL experience behind him, could take over the role as GM as well as head coach is beyond me. He should let Young and Bedard do the coaching and stay away from the dressing room and bench.

sbtatter
11-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Bruno is putting all of his hopes on the 3 - 20 year olds to take him to league final.
Are those really the expectations? Because PA are going to be lucky to even make the playoffs, let alone win a round. Surely you guys should be building for the future?

SaskHockeyFan
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I would agree with you tatter but I've heard told that Bruno's counting on this year. I would be looking at least two years down the road. I would think either Bruno gets into a buying mode or a selling mode by the end of November. Problem is, if he gets into a selling mode, I am not sure the fans in PA will put up with that again. He has to show something this year.

sbtatter
11-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I would agree with you tatter but I've heard told that Bruno's counting on this year. I would be looking at least two years down the road. I would think either Bruno gets into a buying mode or a selling mode by the end of November. Problem is, if he gets into a selling mode, I am not sure the fans in PA will put up with that again. He has to show something this year.
That's interesting fan expectations. You gotta think that the Canes and Wheaties will climb above the Raiders and drop them to 9th in the conference. But if the Raiders make the playoffs, more power to them. I haven't seen them live this year yet...

SaskHockeyFan
11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
I would agree with your assessment of Smith Raiderfan15. I'll bet your right on with that one. He isn't interested enough to go into the dirty areas of the ice where the hard work is all done.

intheknow
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
i agree Smith didn't like the dirty areas of the ice. his body language alone should have seen him moved sooner. i also agree Bruno puts all his eggs in one basket. the 20 year olds put up points, as they should with all the powerplay time. they don't kill penalties or hit either.

SaskHockeyFan
11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
There are only 4 players that hit. Harrison, Stebner, Herrod and Deck. Other than that, the opposition has a clear path to the net. We don't have anyone over 18 that hits. Theissen tries now and again but doesn't have the mobility.
I agree, the scouts should face the music for the position the team is now in.

raider guy
11-17-2008, 06:26 PM
its too bad aschim didnt get more opportunity, he was a big kid , and he could chuck em as well we all seen him dummy dotan in the green and gold game... dotan is a human pilon out there he gets walked around, theres no way aasman is below dotan in the depth chart.

bruinsr#1
11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
has Esposito played for you guys yet?

SaskHockeyFan
11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Doubtful he will unless one of the goalies gets hurt or moved.

Swamptown
11-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I did some number crunching yesterday and if Andy Smith continues his play from last week through the rest of the year he will end up with 65G, 49A and 114Pts. That type of year would no doubt earn him WHL Player of the Year honours.

As we all know, this will not happen. I agree that his play will drop off, but hopefully for him he proves myself and a few other wrong. Maybe all he needed was a new start. It worked for Bernhardt last year.

SaskHockeyFan
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I would bet the coaches are working Ryan Aasman into the lineup slowly. He plays the point on the power play. I just think there is probably less pressure on forward. Just go out fourth line make some plays and hit some bodies and get used to the speed. He has had a tough start to the year for obvious reasons and working him into the speed, pressure and contact slowly is about the best option available. Just having Ryan in PA is good for the team and good for Ryan. Should be another emotional game in Med Hat tonight.