PDA

View Full Version : Old Logos

LifelongChiefsFan
04-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Is it just me or do a lot of teams' old logos seem to kick butt over their newer ones?

Tinner
04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
no, i think i agree with you. back then a logo was the heart and soul of your favorite team and now a logo is something teams change whenever they need to sell more merchandise.

Sput
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
If anyone wants to look up aome of the old team logos try this link. I'm not sure where I found it but it's a cool site for any sport logos.

http://www.logoserver.com/Hockey.html

Scout
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
The Bronco's came out with a special edition jersey last year that was only to be worn on saturday night games. The new logo took off so fast for merchandise sales that it will replace the current jersey's next year. It's all about marketing and making money.

Scout

smackitsakic
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Not necessarily. While alot of teams do need to make the marketing dollars off of symbol/jersey changes, many others don't. I think that the addition of third jerseys is the best proof of trying to capture a larger market share. Almost all teams in all leagues have third jerseys, some have fourth and fifth jerseys it seems.
But, you can still have some classic franchises like, for instance, the original six. I dont' believe any of them have changed their symbols once they got them. Other NHL teams, such as the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, and New York Islanders have all kept their original logos and have just added in third jerseys with alternate symbols. I don't mind the changes though, jerseys look good these days. Some are over the top and ridiculous, but you always have a few bad apples.

In the crowd
04-12-2005, 03:30 PM
The Ice's new thirds were supposed to be used only on saturdays (or special occassion games) but they were so popular with the fans and players that they are wearing them as there road jerseys for the playoffs.

Flathead
04-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Not necessarily. While alot of teams do need to make the marketing dollars off of symbol/jersey changes, many others don't. I think that the addition of third jerseys is the best proof of trying to capture a larger market share. Almost all teams in all leagues have third jerseys, some have fourth and fifth jerseys it seems.
But, you can still have some classic franchises like, for instance, the original six. I dont' believe any of them have changed their symbols once they got them. Other NHL teams, such as the Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, and New York Islanders have all kept their original logos and have just added in third jerseys with alternate symbols. I don't mind the changes though, jerseys look good these days. Some are over the top and ridiculous, but you always have a few bad apples.
Smackit, if you go to the site that Sput posted I think you will be surprised with the changes in logo's and jersey's, I know I was. Cool site.

ScottyWazz
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know-- I think the Hitmen did a good job by changing their logo.

As a whole-- there are some logos that are better than others, but it's about change. If they can't market the product anymore-- they need to spice it up a little and a little. First with the 3rds and next with the "anniversary" or other special schemes.

peatfan
04-15-2005, 03:10 AM
Great site on the logos. Great to see all of them in one place. Definately bookmarked. :clap:

RunTheGoalie
04-15-2005, 07:47 AM
I don't know-- I think the Hitmen did a good job by changing their logo.

As a whole-- there are some logos that are better than others, but it's about change. If they can't market the product anymore-- they need to spice it up a little and a little. First with the 3rds and next with the "anniversary" or other special schemes.

Well, the Hitmen current logo is actually their original logo. They had to go with that starburst piece of crap for a while because the WHL crapped its pants and got scared about how "violent" the image was right before the season started.

The Rebels first logo was a joke compared to their current logo.

As for third jerseys, most are awful. Kelowna has one of the worst of all time, as teal does not go well with red, and I have no idea why they sewed sweat stains in under the armpits.

smackitsakic
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Wasn't the Hitmens first logo the word "HITMEN" in a jagged rectangle with two sticks crossing in the background?

Sput
04-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Your welcome for the logo site. If I remeber right, the site owner has an open offer to anyone if they have a logo that is not on his list to send it and he will add it to his page. There are some from my days in Sask that I haven't found yet, but I keep looking.

RunTheGoalie
04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Wasn't the Hitmens first logo the word "HITMEN" in a jagged rectangle with two sticks crossing in the background?

That is what the WHL forced the team to change it to, yes, but originally they wanted the logo they are now using.