PDA

View Full Version : Pats add a 20

nivek_wahs
11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
From Greg Harder's blog.... http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/default.aspx

Pats add another 20
It took a little longer than expected but, as speculated on this blog, the Pats have added bruising stay-at-home defenceman Scott Gabriel, who had a mutual parting with the Portland Winter Hawks. Here's the media release:

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats have filled their vacant 20-year-old roster spot today by picking up Scott Gabriel off waivers from the Portland Winter Hawks. The 6’5” defenceman had an assist, 21 minutes in penalties and was an assistant captain before he was put on the waiver wire by Portland. Last season, he played in 60 games with a goal, 5 assists and 244 minutes in penalties.

Scott Gabriel
Defense
Born Mar 22 1988 -- Edmonton, ALTA
Height 6.05 -- Weight 225 -- Shoots L
Season Team GP G A Pts PIM
2005-06 Vancouver Giants 3 0 1 1 10
2005-06 Portland Winter Hawks 49 0 6 6 99
2006-07 Portland Winter Hawks 46 1 2 3 120
2007-08 Portland Winter Hawks 60 1 5 6 244
2008-09 Portland Winter Hawks 8 0 1 1 21

The addition of Gabriel, along with Victor Bartley and Michael MacAngus, gives the Pats three 20-year-olds. He will join the Pats in time for the beginning of their 8 game road trip which begins this Friday in Swift Current.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually a pretty good pickup as a 20 year old.

Fills in alot of needs for the team. A guy who brings more experience to the team, can play alot of minutes(top 4), and can be our "tough guy" being that we didnt really have a heavy weight before. Definitely makes our defence the most physically threatening in the conference too.

Perhaps this also means that we are sending Miller/Slobozian down after this move.

smackitsakic
11-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Is a career -78 a record?

Whether he was on Portland last year or not, he still posted an amazing -45 in 60 games.

Fight Guy
11-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, can't say I really know anything about this guy, but I bet you could imagine me liking this trade!:D

Fills up the empty 20yo position and adds some more size and toughness to the team. Looks like he likes to drop them too! :thumb:

My guess is we will see Miller get sent down. I could be wrong, but between him and Slobozian, Miller has been having troubles. I've noticed him making lots of mistakes lately. Can't say I've really noticed Slobozian lately, which means he must be doing things better than Miller. Again, I could be wrong.

Fight Guy
11-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Is a career -78 a record?

Whether he was on Portland last year or not, he still posted an amazing -45 in 60 games.
Seeing as Portland's leading scorer last season, Travis Ehrhardt, posted a -48 and Chris Francis posted a -49, and about half the rest of the team were in the -30's and lower... hate to burst your bubble, but playing for Portland last season is definitely a good reason for have such a plus/minus.

CJSenterprise4
11-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Needed another solid D man. Now Bartley, Teubs and Delahey don't have to be on the ice so much all game.

patsdude114
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
I really like this pick up.... Bartley, Tuebert & Delahey have been playing too many minutes and are getting burnt out fast.... we needed to add another top 4 Dman to our roster before this trip...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!! send down Miller... this kid is out weakest link on the backend. I dont even know how he made our roster. He is prob our slowest player, not strong by any means... makes alot of mistakes

nivek_wahs
11-20-2008, 10:04 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!! send down Miller... this kid is out weakest link on the backend. I dont even know how he made our roster. He is prob our slowest player, not strong by any means... makes alot of mistakesI sorta agree with your point... Earlier in the season (training camp too) he was actually pretty good. But in the last bit his play has regressed pretty bad and is now definitely the weak link on D.

patsdude114
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
I think Justin Slobozian has alot more protential then Miller and being in high tempo practices and the odd game... Pym wasnt ready to be the number 4 Dman, him and Scarbrough being 5th & 6th Dman with Slobozian playing every 2nd or 3rd game will really help this defence. Pym has upside dont get me wrong i think he needs to get stronger in his own end. I think Gabriel will help Scarbrough & Teubert alot. Scarbrough is strong physically and plays a tough game (ok tries too) I think with the right help Scarbrough can really benefit from it....

Look at last season when Parker got Bender, as much as Bender did help our defensive end, you cant tell me Parker didnt want Teubert to learn from the same style of defenceman as he is. Bender had that mean streak and played on the edge. Teubert needed to learn from someone alittle more to help his progression. Now im not saying Scarbrough is a Teubert type player cause he's not, but if Scarbrough can learn each day in practice (and games) from Gabriel it will help Scarbrough find his place in this league.

Teubert can still learn from a guy like Gabriel as well. I still feel Teubert needs to pick his spots alittle more with his agressive play. Hopfully Gabriel can help him with that.

All in all i really love this acquisition gave up nothing to get him (even better) I really like how this team is shapeing up. We are getting secondary scoring along with Eberle's being the sniper that he is. This road trip is going to test us to alot i personally would be happy with a 500 road trip but seeing the team go 5-3 on this road trip would be great. I think the key to this road trip is on Friday night against Swift Current, to get that 1st win away from home will be huge. Against our new biggest rivial its going to be a battle out there tomorrow night.

GO PATS GO!!!!!!! good luck on the trip

Tidball
11-21-2008, 12:38 AM
He IS hella tough(Just ask McAngus) But he shoud NOT be a top 4. If he is a top 4 than the Pats are ALOT worse than i thought. Gabriel has good reach, thats about it. He is very tough but guys like Patterson will skate around him with ease. You guys are getting an enforcer. vc119

nivek_wahs
11-21-2008, 08:38 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=a168e7ec-e3c6-4a54-826e-0b464f1ae22c

Toughness added to lineup
Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, November 21, 2008

Big, tough and experienced -- with a dubious dose of petulance.

The Regina Pats added all those ingredients in one giant package on Thursday when they claimed 6-foot-5, 225-pound defenceman Scott Gabriel off waivers from the Portland Winter Hawks.

The Pats had room for another 20-year-old after releasing centre Scott Doucet on Oct. 20. The addition of Gabriel fills out Regina's overage quota -- joining captain Victor Bartley and left-winger Michael MacAngus -- although it remains to be seen if that group will remain intact past the WHL trade deadline in January.

The Pats had been trying for several weeks to add an impact defenceman who could provide some relief behind the overworked trio of Bartley, Matt Delahey and Colten Teubert. With blueline help at a premium across the league, Pats GM Brent Parker was unable to swing a trade, so he reached into the bargain bin instead. Gabriel, a four-year veteran, had his best season in 2007-08 when he posted one goal, five assists and 244 penalty minutes in 60 games with Portland.

"I just hope he's a good, steady, stay-at-home defenceman," said Pats head coach Dale Derkatch. "Hopefully (he'll bring) a little leadership and a little more experience on the back end. From what I've seen I think he can bring some toughness and grit to our team and I hope he can be used in penalty killing situations to give the other three who play a lot -- Delahey, Teubert and Bartley -- a little bit of a rest in that area."

The Pats spoke to Gabriel after he was released by Portland to gauge his interest in coming to Regina, but they were unable to make contact as of Thursday evening to inform him that the transaction had been made official. Gabriel was initially expected to be on a flight early this morning and jump straight into the lineup tonight against the Swift Current Broncos, but those plans were on hold while the Pats tried to get in touch with him.

Gabriel played eight games with the Winter Hawks earlier this season before parting company with the team upon the arrival of new head coach/GM Mike Johnston, who's promoting a youth movement. Gabriel, an assistant captain with Portland, was waiting at home in Edmonton to learn of his fate when Regina came calling.

The Pats are hoping he'll add some stability to their back end and help mentor the team's younger blueliners. The foursome of Mike Scarborough, Koltyn Miller, Alex Pym and Justin Slobozian has undergone a trial by fire this season, resulting in some mistake-prone outings.

The addition of Gabriel leaves the Pats with eight defencemen, but they're unlikely to trim that number back to seven until they find out if the newcomer is going to fit in. Gabriel isn't known for his offensive flair or foot speed, but he does add an element the Pats have been lacking since they released enforcer Josh Elder.

Gabriel's colourful history includes finishing fifth in the toughest-player category of last year's Best of the West poll. He also has a lengthy rap sheet with the WHL office, earning him the label of a repeat offender. Last season alone he was suspended three times for a total of nine games.

"We want a guy who can play with an edge but I don't want a guy who's going to be taking unnecessary penalties and getting suspended and all that," insisted Derkatch. "There's a time and place for everything but I just hope he'll be a hard guy to play against, somewhat like Matt Delahey plays. You can always use a guy who can stick up for his teammates. We're getting into the time of season where maybe teams start looking at (taking advantage of) our smaller players. This might help in that area."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

CJSenterprise4
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
He IS hella tough(Just ask McAngus) But he shoud NOT be a top 4. If he is a top 4 than the Pats are ALOT worse than i thought. Gabriel has good reach, thats about it. He is very tough but guys like Patterson will skate around him with ease. You guys are getting an enforcer. vc119

Bender was a joke last year in the playoffs as he was way too slow to play with Swift and he got skated around constantly and took so many penalties. I guess we will see what Gabriel can bring.

Tidball
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Bender was a joke last year in the playoffs as he was way too slow to play with Swift and he got skated around constantly and took so many penalties. I guess we will see what Gabriel can bring.

Agreed. Might as well give him a shot. Free is usually a good price.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-21-2008, 10:37 PM
According to greg harders blog, Gabriel isnt reporting. He is looking for a spot on a junior A team. And yes, Im too lazy to provide a link/article, but take my word for it.

I guess after waiting as long as he waited (since november 5th or so), you would start exploring options outside of the WHL. Probably already had something worked out with a Junior A team already.

Oh well, can probably find a top 4 defenceman elsewhere. We already have enough big guys who take themselves out of position for a hit more often than necessary anyways. And the goon can always come later

Maybe Ehrhardt from Portland. Might be worth the price.

patsdude114
11-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Oh well, can probably find a top 4 defenceman elsewhere. We already have enough big guys who take themselves out of position for a hit more often than necessary anyways. And the goon can always come later

Yes Ehrhardt would be worth the price forsure..... Maybe they would be interested in a young promiseing Dman in Miller lol (yes im trying to get rid of Miller lol) A bonus with Ehrhardt would be he will be back next season as a 20 yr old which would help out our D for next year too. We need a pure offensive Dman we got 3 wanna be offensive Dmen as it stands now. Then Bartley, Teubert & Delahey can focus more on shutting down and chipping in every now and then. All 3 are trying to do too much. Especially Teubert

I guess not big loss if he's not reporting, didnt give up anything there for doesnt hurt us at all. Would of been nice to add his size to our D tho, but oh well.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-22-2008, 12:23 AM
OK man....Miller isnt THAT bad. He is playing over his head, but still has some potential to be good. At the beginning of the season, he played very well, but now, its evident that he just isnt ready yet. Not strong or fast enough right now, and his confidence is probably a bit shaken.

With all that in mind, we need him in our system. Send him down and he can come back next year as a better player. I can see him as a useful player in the future. Could really use the experience he will bring next year if we end up losing Teubert too, along with Bartley(definitely gone), and Delahey(very likely gone as well)

patsdude114
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
OK man....Miller isnt THAT bad. He is playing over his head, but still has some potential to be good. At the beginning of the season, he played very well, but now, its evident that he just isnt ready yet. Not strong or fast enough right now, and his confidence is probably a bit shaken.

Miller is jsut that bad when comparing him to the rest of our young guys on D.. Yes Pym has a year under his belt already, but Slobozian being smaller then Miller and a year younger is way ahead of Miller as terms of excelling in this league. Slobozian's highest level of hockey was High School Hockey (which was last season) if there High School Hockey is anything like Regina's High School Hockey league that league is garbage. Slobozian struggled at the begining of the year but is now playing well. Miller has done the exact opposite as Slobozian. I cringe everytime Miller is on the ice, cause rarely does he NOT make a mistake. Seems like every shift he is making a bad decision. His game should be simple as a 17 yr old (smaller player) make the easy play cuz the coaches arnt expecting much offense out of this kid as a 17 yr old.

Dont get me wrong Miller will be a alright Dman in this league but i personally dont think it will be with the Pats (i hope anyways) Miller could be used in a deal to get a decent 19 yr old Dman or even a 18 yr old Dman. I havent been this hard on a player since Andrew Dousza (i know i spelt that wrong) I am usually pretty leanient on the young players but when you make the same mistakes game in and game out, how can i not be hard on a guy like this... He just doesnt seem to be learning from his mistakes.

scoreboard
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
According to greg harders blog, Gabriel isnt reporting. He is looking for a spot on a junior A team. And yes, Im too lazy to provide a link/article, but take my word for it.

I guess after waiting as long as he waited (since november 5th or so), you would start exploring options outside of the WHL. Probably already had something worked out with a Junior A team already.

ALSO IN THE LAST HOCKEY BROADCAST ON CKRM, AT MEDICINE HAT - ROD ALSO MENTIONED THAT HE WILL NOT BE COMING TO REGINA PATS. IT IS A DOWN RIGHT SHAME, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP TO OUR DEFENCE.