PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play GM

Swando
11-22-2008, 02:26 AM
What is our goal for the year?.....M Cup

Do we have the tools to do this looking at the league so far????

We have the goaltending!
We have the defense!
Do we have the scoring????? That is what I ask. How often does a team get to go to the Mcup? Not trying to say that the Giants couldn't do it with the crew they have BUT is it possible that Bonner might be trying to swing a deal for a 19 yr old scoring forward?? I have looked through the rosters of teams that are definately not playoff advancement teams ( maybe make the playoffs but don't win a round) and PG looks like the best bet for Bonner to deal with. I say if the price is right he should offer a young D and a roster forward like Barnet(Witt and a high draft pick for Dana Tyrel. Tyrel will go pro next year so it would be a loaner type player like Kendal MaCardel. The quicker we would get him better so he can gel with the team and learn the system.
PS: This is not to offend any Cougar fans that may be reading this..I know he is your captain and all but we are only playing..
Lets play gm...what are your thots.

This site has been very dead for the Giants other than our man DONDO!

Lucic
11-22-2008, 02:38 AM
The Giants don't have the best relationship with the Cougars so getting a guy like Tyrell from them would be extremely difficult.

TwoBits
11-22-2008, 10:49 AM

We have the goaltending!
We have the defense!
Do we have the scoring????? That is what I ask. How often does a team get to go to the Mcup? Not trying to say that the Giants couldn't do it with the crew they have BUT is it possible that Bonner might be trying to swing a deal for a 19 yr old scoring forward?? I have looked through the rosters of teams that are definately not playoff advancement teams ( maybe make the playoffs but don't win a round) and PG looks like the best bet for Bonner to deal with. I say if the price is right he should offer a young D and a roster forward like Barnet(Witt and a high draft pick for Dana Tyrel. Tyrel will go pro next year so it would be a loaner type player like Kendal MaCardel. The quicker we would get him better so he can gel with the team and learn the system.
PS: This is not to offend any Cougar fans that may be reading this..I know he is your captain and all but we are only playing..

I don't think the Cougars management would let D Tyrell go. Although the stats may not reflect it, this team is finally showing some glimmers of hope. Tyrell is probably the only drawing card they have at the moment until a few of the younger guys prove themselves. Trading Tyrell would take the wind out of the team's sails.

I high draft pick means diddly, PG has been burned more than once with guys not showing up. A bird in the hand......

Just my thoughts.

sbtatter
11-22-2008, 11:15 AM

We have the goaltending!
We have the defense!

What would you give us for Fehr, Green or Lewadniuk? We have a glut of 19 year olds, would want 17 or 18 year olds in return.

N.W. Bruin
11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Giants have a glut of draft picks and I can see them moving several plus a player or two (Basford maybe). Trouble is moving younger guys is they cannot be traded as easy as older players because of schooling. The team will not trade anyone if they don't want to move if they are school aged. T. J. may want ice time so he could be moved.

Of the teams maybe a deal with Moose Jaw for J. Bast or J. Broda might be possible. Other than that the other teams in the league are still in the hunt for the playoffs. So likely nothing will happen till after the trading deadline at Christmas. Dana Tyrell might be a good fit but like stated the Cougars may not move him. Bast isn't having a great year but it is on a poor Warrior team. His numbers have been good in the league.

Giants have the following early draft picks that I know off:

First rounder (Not likely to move)
Two second rounders (Can't remember what team dealt the pick to them)

Not sure what the third and lower picks are totally but the two second rounders I can see them moving plus maybe prospects like Jung or Scheidl (since there isn't many openings up front for next season)

johnnyradiant
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM

The quicker we would get him better so he can gel with the team and learn the system.

From everything I have heard the system is pretty simple. Shed any sense of entitlement, or selfishness you may have and work like H E dbl hockey sticks from the start of the seasons training to the end of the last game, and even in between seasons if you are thinking on coming back.

I know there is more to it but those seem to be the reoccurring parts from Hay's arrival till now.

dondo
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
^ pretty much, the main part of that though is that if you do play like that then you are going to get rewarded with more and unique ice-time and then put out in pressure situations over players who aren't playing as hard as you on the night.

The other secret is that he rolls four lines, so fourth liners are not just plumbers who go out to give the other guys a rest, but are contributing members and will see lots of ice-time in games where the Giants have a commanding lead with time left.

He makes players better, he has a hard dog-house, but you can play your way out of it. He also has no time for floaters.. my kind of coach.

The only chink in his armour that I can see if that players who are not gutting it out every shift, but finding the open spaces like Kraus find their way into his doghouse pretty quickly. It could be considered a blind spot.

CPZ should have been one of those kinds of players, but this year he has been put in a variety of roles, killing penalties and asked to be a responsible fully rounded player and he's been drinking the Kool-Aid and being rewarded for it.

Hay also has no qualms about sitting players who aren't playing to their potential and he recognizes when players are getting good chances and when they aren't trying. You'll even find consistent point getters relegated to the lower lines/press box if their effort isn't up to scratch.

the flying moose
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't know about PG giving up Tyrell. Its going to be difficult considering its the last year of the contract for our coach and the assn't coach. Depending on who is behind the bench next year might decide which direction the Cats are going to go; stay with the youth or build a combo or young and experienced players.

I could see the Cats offering the chance for Tyrell to be traded to go out on a high note but I don't see Tyrell taking that offer. He is too classy for that.