PDA

View Full Version : Get off the Refs

Tipped Off
04-12-2005, 09:30 AM
On another board I was reading some Tips fans upset with Savage calling the Too Many men on the Ice penalty in Overtime. We've had our problems with Savage in the past, but if you notice Constantine, nor the Tips captains, had any problem with the call (and we've all seen Constantine when he thinks it was a bad call).

Savage called a good game last night. If you look at the box score he only called the most blatant penalties. The rest of the time he stuck his whistle in his pocket. I'm a Tips fan, but the constant ragging on the officials by some/most of our fans...and especially the chants of "ref you suck" are getting old. Note to my own fans: It is NOT a penalty every time someonce checks one of our players hard & it is not the ref who SUCKS because he called a penalty on a stupid play by us (the player that does suck is the one who committed the penalty - Like King last night dropping the Ice guy right in front of the net so teh ICE could score on their ensuing power play).

The hooking call with 1:17 to go in the game HAD to be called by Savage on the Ice. It happened two feet in front of him (10 feet in front of me) and the Ice player literally could have been on tape as a clinic on how to hook someone and make sure you get caught. It was as obvious as you can get & I give credit to Savage for having the guts to call it. I think the roof would have come off the place if he didn't call it. Before Tips fans complain about the Too many men penalty, think about the fact we should have ended the game on this power play.

The too many men on the ice again was obvious. It's one thing if you've got 7 players on the ice, but quite another to have the guy coming off the bench play the puck and the guy going to the bench engage with an Ice player. Simple rules....both players playing the game...penalty. The fact of the matter is, The Tips player who served the penalty came out of the box before the goal and had a chance to steal the puck (in fact he interrupted the first attempt at a shot but over skated so the Ice player was able to wind back up and shoot again).

Chipper
04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
A tough break for the Tips Last night. In overtime it could go either way. It will be a real gut check tonite for the tips to come out hard and believe that they can still bring it back to Cranbrook. The too many man penalty was a suprise to here in overtime so it must have been just to obvious as you said. Good luck tonite and hope your fans come out and give it all, imo every game was a one goal game and you could very easily have won a game or two.

ihlemic10
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
At first I thought the call was going to be delay of game becuase you could have argued Annesly intentionaly hit the puck of play. I did not notice too many men but I was not paying attention so I am not going to judge. Anyway Simmie had enough time to come out of the box and attempt the steal like Tipped Off said. This does not mean I am defending Savage. He is a just another ref to me and I think he should have called a few more for both teams.

Beaner
04-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Tough break, but a good call. Savage HAS to call those.

Entertaining game last night on the old webcast. Damn Kootney is quick skating team.

Rooselk
04-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Tipped Off, I was at that game and I couldn't agree more: Savage made the right call. And, frankly, I think the "refs you suck" chant, which happens now at nearly every Tips game, is getting old and is even a bit embarrassing.

ihlemic10
04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
There are times when that chant is needed. Last night on the PP what was the Interference call about? I heard that on the radio Keith was giving it to the ref for that one. I don't even think Hromas knew what it was about, he was chatting with the ref and linesman trying to get some clarification. At one point people were doing the Ref you suck chant when the Linesman made the mistake. That makes our fans look really bad when they are yelling at the wrong offical.

Tipped Off
04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Actually Constantine was giving it to the ref before that call...but said absolutely nothing about it. I watched him the whole time to see if there was a reaction there was none because....it was the right call. The fact is Hromas didn;t know the Rule. When an opposing player loses his stick, even if he is not actively pursuing it, you can't intentionally kick it away (or in this case slap shot it away) until that player leaves the Ice. The opportunity has to be given for the player to retrieve the stick. Incidental contact is one thing, but Hromas skated right up to the stick and slapped it out of the zone. It may SEEM like a cheap call, butit's one of those as an official you hate making, but have to call.

Jayna
04-13-2005, 11:42 AM
This chant drives me crazy.

Most of the time the ref did the right thing by not making a call because it wasn't an infraction. I swear some of the fans think that every time a Tips player falls to the ice or is checked it's a penalty. It's all part of the game.

ihlemic10
04-13-2005, 11:56 AM
I didn't know that Hromas shot the stick away. Then it is definetly the right call and the fans had no reason to chant. I was wondering why as it happened Constantine did not do anything. When we got the Bench minor, was it for Constantine yelling at the ref?

Tipped Off
04-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Constantine was all over McLean after the 5th call against the Tips versus one for the Ice. the Bench Minor on KC happened a full 8 minutes before the interference on Hromas. They were not related at all. When Hromas got the interference the linesmen went right up to him and explained why the call was made. Hromas didn't lie it, but KC didn't even flinch from his position. Just like the night before on the Too many men call. He knew.

ihlemic10
04-13-2005, 02:17 PM
It knew that it was before the interference call. I was wondering if it was because Coach said something of one of the players did it. McLean did a fair job as ref last night. He called mostly all that he needed to. Like I said earlier it would be nice if people would know who to say sucks. I bet the ref was laughing on the inside about people saying "Ref you suck!" when the linesman made the call. I was also glad he caught the Kooteny kicked in goal.

Tipped Off
04-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I forgot all about that....that was a major point in the game..and a great catch by McLean. No one from the Ice even complained...so they knew. Not even a token objection. As fast as that happened, though, it could have easily been missed. That alone should make up for any perceived "mistakes" the Evt fans think he made.