PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Kings vs. Ice

Section Ten
11-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Watching our goaltending situation last night, I found myself wondering how Joe Caligiuri was doing in Prince George.

Turns out he let in three goals on sixteen shots over 40 minutes.

By comparison, James Priestner let in three goals on twenty-five shots over 45 minutes.

So I guess the trades have helped?

At least the team showed alot of heart coming back to get a point at least. And congratulations to Mark Schneider on scoring his first goal as a Wheat King.

Section Eight
11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Section Ten]Watching our goaltending situation last night, I found myself wondering how Joe Caligiuri was doing in Prince George.

Turns out he let in three goals on sixteen shots over 40 minutes.

By comparison, James Priestner let in three goals on twenty-five shots over 45 minutes.

So I guess the trades have helped?

I don't know that the value of any trade can be accurately evaluated in 2 periods of play. Caligiuri finished the regular season last year ranked 15th in the WHL with a GAA of 2.73, a save percentage of .897 and 30 Wins.

By comparison (to date); Priestner is ranked 20th (-5) with a GAA of 3.12 (-.39), a save percentage of .878 (-.19)and 4 Wins (-26). Hayes doesn't fare much better, in fact he doesn't fare as well; ranked 22nd (-7), a GAA of 3.23 (-.50), a save percentage of .894 (-.3)and 9 Wins (-21).

I think Priestner needs more opportunity - he has a nice stand-up style and there's no question his puck handling capabilities are something we haven't seen in Brandon for awhile. Hayes is a very good shot blocker but he gives up enormous rebounds and has very poor puck handling abilities. I don't know the young man personally - but watch him on the bench you'll make your own determination on his attitude!

At any rate, both have a long way to go to make the upper tier of WHL keepers and this has to be of concern for a team positioning itself for a run at the Memorial Cup.