PDA

View Full Version : vs. Swift Current

SectionNDeserter
11-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Probably the hardest working two teams that I have seen in one game this year. Both teams battled hard for the puck all night long. Very good and varied transition game for the Rebels tonight was the key to staying with them. Good to see a couple of 'First WHL goals' tonight too!

In the first period, Matt Tassone is the beneficiary of Kuemper not having his stick down on the ice for some reason, and he gets an easy one on a weak backhand to open the scoring.

Early in the second, Oursov charges out of the cycle, takes a nifty pass from Penny, cuts across the goal mouth and slides one under Guggenberger to tie this one up. About halfway through the period Cowan feeds the puck in front into the crease from behind the net, and Redmond comes roaring in from the slot and bangs it into the net before any of the Bronco defensemen or goalie could figure out where it was. Near the end of the period, the Rebels kill off a high sticking penalty to Kambeitz, but are unable to get their tired penalty killers off the ice, and a minute or so later the Broncos score an extremely weak goal that didn't appear to be deflected, and had so little on it that it looked like it almost didn't make it to the net.

Less than a minute into the 3rd, Coetzee makes it 3-2, and later in the period Ferraro makes it 4-2 on a beautiful cross-crease pass from Mappin. The hockey gods reward Tassone's second effort chop at the puck from a near impossible angle, with a goal to what couldn't have been a very big gap between the post and Kuemper. This sets up a nail-biting finale with a lot of board battles, and huge saves by Kuemper and a few of our defensemen.

Who/What I liked in this game;

Tyler Penny - Sets up Oursov's first WHL goal, plays strong all night, and pretty much single-handedly kills off Archer's delay of game penalty in the 3rd.

Steve Oursov - For a little guy, he really likes to get in those 'ugly' places, and he is rewarded with his first WHL goal tonight! Getting more secondary scoring from guys like him is going to make this team a lot harder to match lines with.

Connor Redmond - He threw some huge, punishing hits last night, and puts up his first WHL goal!

Cullen Morin - Played a very strong defensive game, and for once actually thrived with the extra ice time that he saw after Petrovic went down.

Matt Tassone - Neither of his goals were off of particuarly spectacular shots, but there is no denying the amount of work ethic that this guy possesses.

Christian Magnus - Another guy who I thought showed tons of energy and grit for the Broncos last night.

Who/what I didn't like in this game;

First and Second period Kuemper - Third period Kuemper looked very sharp in contrast to the First and Second period. He stops those two easy ones and this game is a blowout. Very nice to see however, that he didn't get totally rattled by allowing either softie, like SOME goalies do.

Blueline Woes - Petrovic appeared to be in a lot of discomfort after a Magnus(?) hit early in the 3rd, and did not play another shift the rest of the night. Are we back to 3 defensemen again?

Geordie Wudrick - Played very lazy, and floated most of the game, took/tried to take lazy penalties all game, and then loses his composure at the end of the game. Here is a tip for you Geordie--only the players that actually put something into the game have a right to be upset at the end.

bennyboots
11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Section Can you please tell me which 3 defenseman you think the Rebels are down to??? And Justify your concerns you have with the others Please!! Thank You!

SectionNDeserter
11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Oops, guess I am exaggerating to clarify! Arch is back now, so we would still have 4 defensemen left if Petrovic were down. The only concern that I have with the others, is that they are injured, and unable to play for us right now. We have been plagued with injuries to our blueline so far this season.

Speedy Broncs
11-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Who/what I didn't like in this game;

Geordie Wudrick - Played very lazy, and floated most of the game, took/tried to take lazy penalties all game, and then loses his composure at the end of the game. Here is a tip for you Geordie--only the players that actually put something into the game have a right to be upset at the end.

Finally ... someone from out of Swift that can see through Wudrick!! Lazy, floats, lazy penalties - all sounds way too familiar. What happened at the end of the game?