PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Captain

Chief Jeff
12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Justin Macrae was named Captain today...certainly no surprise. I hope he gives them the spark they need.

LifelongChiefsFan
12-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Definitely nice to see on my end as this was one of my biggest gripes on the season. Spokane played much better tonight against Calgary and were able to pull out the win, which is a step in the right direction, but much of the game's success has to be attributed to Tokarski who made some excellent saves. Calgary is a better team than Spokane so far this season.

It's been easy to overlook because Spokane has been pretty lackadaisical for many games this season, but I think the impact of the losses from last year's team are hurting more than most Chiefs fans expected. I think we all knew what we were losing, but I know I ate up all the talk about how the Chiefs were built for this season, and now I'm not so sure. Even if Spokane puts things together and plays like a team for the rest of the season, I'm not conviced that this team can beat a Vancouver or a Tri-City in a 7 game series. A lot of the clutch goals this team got from guys like Rutherford and Blackwater last season are nowhere to be found this year. I have a feeling that McCrae coming back and being named captain will help in the leadership department, but as of now when it comes to clutch performances, no one has really stepped up yet. Maybe there will be trades or maybe some players will step up, but as of right now, this team is still lacking compared to last year's.

But anyway, that's enough from me for now! Congrats to Justin for being awarded the C for the second time in his career!

Chief Jeff
12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Losing the three overagers from last year has hurt more than most of us expected, but not having Roman has been the real killer in my opinion. He was fantastic in the playoffs last year, and his speed and playmaking ability would have the Chiefs in alot better position then they are. The problem is goal scoring. The Chiefs are giving up less goals then they did last year but aren't scoring as much. A trade for a top six forward is almost certain, and I would do it even if Roman comes back.

HomerSimpson
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Losing the three overagers from last year has hurt more than most of us expected, but not having Roman has been the real killer in my opinion. He was fantastic in the playoffs last year, and his speed and playmaking ability would have the Chiefs in alot better position then they are. The problem is goal scoring. The Chiefs are giving up less goals then they did last year but aren't scoring as much. A trade for a top six forward is almost certain, and I would do it even if Roman comes back.

Have to agree with you. If we get Roman back, it leaves us with some decisions on the top 6 anyways...we may as well give up a young player and pretty much have 3 scoring lines.

Bowman/Roman/Wahl ???
Bowman/Wahl/McCrae with Koper/Roman/Johnson ???

If we got a top 6 forward in a deal, we could keep the Bowman/Wahl/McCrae line, keep the second line with Koper and Johnson, and put Roman with the new forward. It's alot easier to find a third guy to play with two skilled guys than trying to jumble guys out of their normal position.

Chief Jeff
12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
My thoughts as well. I realise that most of your scoring is going to be done with your top two lines, but you do need SOME production from the 3-4 lines, and that more than anything has killed the Chiefs. I think all the young forwards have done a great job within the system defensively, but within the season you need to get at least 30-40 goals from the bottom 2 lines. It is hard to say how many the Chiefs have had from the bottom two lines since almost all the forwards have played with Wahl/Bowman or Koper/Johnson at some point but if it is more than 5 total from the 3rd and 4th lines I would be surprised.

johnnyradiant
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm not conviced that this team can beat a Vancouver or a Tri-City in a 7 game series.

your post and the above line sorta sounds like where I was at last year when I looked at 'my' Giants. Albeit some different circumstances etc but (and not because I'm a Giants fan) hard to picture the Chiefs coming out on top of a 7 game series with either of those two teams right now.

For various reasons as long the Giants aren't playing the 'Hawks, Tigers, and the Chiefs are 3 teams that I like.

Chief Jeff
12-08-2008, 11:25 PM
The Chiefs certainly aren't the team they will be come playoff time. Mccrae is just now back and healthy, and if Roman doesn't come back you can expect a big trade for a top six forward. The Giants certainly look good and it will be interesting to see them play the Chiefs. (why does Vancouver only play Spokane and Tri twice each year? would love to see them more than once a season here.)

HAF
12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
The Chiefs certainly aren't the team they will be come playoff time. Mccrae is just now back and healthy, and if Roman doesn't come back you can expect a big trade for a top six forward. The Giants certainly look good and it will be interesting to see them play the Chiefs. (why does Vancouver only play Spokane and Tri twice each year? would love to see them more than once a season here.)

Tri has to play Van 4 times a year but only plays Koot once. Spoke plays Van only twice so they can have more games per year with Kootenay. It was that way last year as well.