PDA

View Full Version : Stone's cheapshot

RunTheGoalie
04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Any word on how Carson is doing?

Stone should be suspended for that blatant attempt to injure, and if the WHL has any guts, Matsouka should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs for not calling it.

There is absolutely no way a referee can stand and watch a guy take a blind side elbow and charge and call anything BUT a 5 minute major and a game. The brawl at the end is 100% on Matsouka's head, and for once, I would like to see a league stand up and state that they will not accept such incompetence from an official.

As for Stone, hopefully the Hitmen bury the Wheat Cowards early, so that someone can give him what he deserves without affecting the outcome. If the WHL doesnt have the intelligence to end the series for Stone, hopefully the Hitmen do it for them.

One thing is clear from tonight though, and that is the Hitmen are the superior team. Now they are both pissed of and still the superior team. Hopefully Stone just ended his entire team's season.

ScottyWazz
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Well-- Carse was still on the bench for the rest of the game-- he went to the lockerroom after words and didn't come out when me and the girl left at around 10 PM.

I agree Stone should be suspended for that shot to the head but I bet Robison won't do it because he wouldn't want to decide the series like that. At least, that's what he'll end up saying.

It was coming to a head when it happened. You could see they were getting chippy and this was the end result.

Chipper
04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I watched the game as I listend to the ICE game, From an unbiased opinion I would say that it was a hit from behind although he was away from the boards, It was as devastating and dirty blow, the worse I've seen in a while totaly blind sighted him and I don't know if a suspension is due for intent to injure but it was a horiblly bad hit. If I were a Hitman fan I also would want his head on a platter no need for these kinds of hits in our league. And I love a hard hitting game.

The_Vulk
04-13-2005, 04:58 AM
Hard hitting hockey is great.

Cheap shoot holiganism is not. All those attempts to lure the Hitmen to take retalitory penalties by the Wheatie players was sickening to watch. Good to see the composure of the Hitmen players (whom were warned before the series to watch out for the man-disadvantage), and that they were standing up for themselves.

And how we got the extra penalties after the 'attempt to injure' hit? :burningma After that, I was expecting it to be a parade of fights for the rest of the game (like we have witnessed during the regular season).

I hope the Hitmen forward the tape of the hit to the league to review. Those I was seated with thought he 'jumped' with his elbow.

Jovorock
04-13-2005, 08:23 AM
I only seen the highlight a couple times and I believe Stone should get a least a couple games for a deliberate attempt to injure. Robinson has been very up and down with his suspensions, so who knows what will happen. It shouldn't matter that it happened during the playoffs.

witness
04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
A suspension is not going to happen!
The hit was not an elbow, it was a shoulder to the head. The thing that really ticks me off is that about 3 years ago the league was going to crack down on delibrate blows to the head. They started to call the hits to the head for about 10 games into the season and then realized it was the WHL stars (Tootoo) that were the ones taking the runs at players. The league abanded the call and I haven't seen it called in a game since. WAKE UP WHL! This is the type of play that ends player's careers. That play should have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 09:03 AM
On the highlights it appeared to be an elbow, but that is really immaterial. It was definitely a charge, and it was blatantly a hit from behind. Even without an elbow there are two other ways it should have been called a major or match penalty.

That said, I doubt the WHL will suspend Stone either. The NHL doesnt have the balls to go after star players in anything but the most exceptional of incidents, and the WHL is even more timid.

DoubleDee
04-13-2005, 09:17 AM
I missed it completly since I was playing stupid baseball last night :( .

But, from talking to friends who were at the game, it sounded nasty! I sure hope Carson is ok! We need him and his experience on the blueline with Yacboski out. Not saying that we don't have a great group of D (can anyone say YEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) but he is an anchor back there.

tazndevil
04-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Exactly what i was thinking.

Its OK guys----seriously.

I'd rather have him on the ice taking his lumps. Couple big hits on him by the boys, and he will be as ineffective as he usually is on Saddledome ice.

The League won't suspend him, simply because they don't want a suspension to decide a series, and Stone being taken away from the Wheat Queens would do just that.

Blows to the head MUST be called. Argue all you weant that it wasn't an elbow. Whatever. I could care less if Stone hit him with his purse. The fact is that it was to the head.

End of story.

Just my thoughts

Taz

Beaner
04-13-2005, 09:55 AM
The League won't suspend him, simply because they don't want a suspension to decide a series, and Stone being taken away from the Wheat Queens would do just that.

And that is the problem with hockey officiating and suspensions. By trying so hard not to influence games with their calls/non-calls, they end up ACTUALLY influencing the game.

Hockey officials just need to grow up, and call the darn penalties they see. If that means 1 Team gets 10 PP's and the other gets 1 PP, SO BE IT. The players will learn they actually have to play by the RULES if they want to win.

And actions that players take to deliberately injure players need to be delt with as seriously as jumping off the bench to get in a fight. Automatic suspension. End of Discusssion.

I can only imagine what would happen if Baseball umpires stopped calling strikes in the 9th inning because they didnt want to INFLUENCE the outcome of the game. That is what we have now in hockey.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
that is a copout, imo.

The league would not be deciding the outcome by suspending Stone. Stone would be deciding the outcome by committing a suspendable offence.

Every time a league or referee fails to make call on the grounds of "not wanting to dictate the outcome of a game", they are in fact, doing exactly that.

Hockey really needs to take the subjectivity out of the game. Penalties - especially on hits like that - need to be black and white. And the leagues really need to discipline officials that choose not to make those calls.

tazndevil
04-13-2005, 10:55 AM
You and Beaner are both exactly right.

I am not saying that Stone SHOULDN'T get suspended. Of course he should. Helen Keller could see that. I'm only saying that he WON'T.

It's crap---but we will live with it, and be better because of it.

With or without Stone in the lineup---the Hitmen will win

Taz

Orv
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
That was an ugly hit by Stone. I sure hope Carson is alright, you guys need him on the back end. I don't know whether or not he will be suspended. If he does it will be a little 1-gamer.

Stone doesn't mind giving a cheap shot or two does he? One game here in Lethbridge only 4 minutes in Sorochan was on his way to the bench for a Brandon delayed penalty and Stone elbowed him right in the head. He did recieve 5 and a game and the Hurricanes beat them 8-2. Sorochan was alright but I don't know what Stone was thinking. Honestly who elbows a tender right in the melon???

Anyways whether he gets suspended or not I'm sure he'll get his own (legal) type of punishment. This series sounds like it could get ugly...wish I could be there. Oh well, thank goodness it is on Shaw. ;)

Good luck guys, keep on rollin.

EDIT: Sportsnet showed a bit and it looked like it got ugly. Who all dropped them? Did guys square off? Who tied a lickin on who?

Sabes
04-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Stone likes to give those cheap shots. Fehr likes to give elbows too. Stone was especially bad in last years play-offs when he had the full face shield on. He would run around and slash, spear and elbow and then pretend like he is going to fight.

BWK
04-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Watch the replay again and try being a little analytical instead of being a fan. Stone was committed to the check. Carson passed the puck then floated around admiring his pass. Stone finished with the body, no elbow. There is no reason to suspend a player for that check. The ref didn't think it was cheap, the announcers on Shaw didn't think it was cheap when they played the slo-mo replay several times, TSN and Sportsnet didn't say it was a cheap when they put it in their highlight package and I don't think it was a cheap shot.

Again, that is part of being a fan, thinking your guys are good and their guys are evil but, in this case it was just a good hard check finished. Think back a few years ago in the NHL playoffs. Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros. Everybody still remembers and loves that hit. There is no difference to this one except that you are Carson fans and nobody was a Lindros fan.

Could Sone have avoided him? Absolutely but in the second round of WHL playoffs, you finish your checks.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 12:22 PM
EDIT: Sportsnet showed a bit and it looked like it got ugly. Who all dropped them? Did guys square off? Who tied a lickin on who?

Stone was a little pissed that he and his team just coughed up one of the single worst giveaways I have ever seen, so he crosschecked Getzlaf as he was going to celebrate with his teammates.

Of course, as is typical with Matsouka, rather than call what happened, he decided that "game management" dictated that Calgary end up with the extra penalty, even though the entire thing was sparked by a very dirty Wheat Kings team.

If you look at the penalties, Matsouka deliberately alternated penalty calls through out the entire game. Power plays were handed out completely even, even though Brandon intitiated several hits to the head that were let go simply because it wasnt their turn to get called.

Even the final slashing call to Brandon was blown. It was a 2-0 breakaway on an empty net where a goal was prevented by a blatant slash. That is not a minor penalty, that is an automatic goal.

And, for those that havent seen it, the hit:
http://www.lazarien.com/~kws45/stone_hit3.wmv

Mileflames
04-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Great Job :bounce:

These posts are very clean and people have put up good ideas and good points of view. Keep it up guys.

The hit was not clean in my mind, but it was very close to being a clean hit. I don't think a suspension is needed.

tazndevil
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Great point BWK.

If I get a chance to see the replay again before the game tonight I will try and do that (seriously).

My main problem with the hit is that was a head shot, and he had a pretty good run at him. Whether it was charging or not. I really don't care.

No matter how many points are raised about it not being charging, or not an elbow, or whatever, I still won't care. It was a head shot. All head shots, intentional or not, are dangerous and have no place in a developmental hockey league.

I know that he won't get suspended. I'm over it. I'm looking forward to hearing 15000 to 18000 people boo and jeer him every time he goes near the puck.

I would also like to commend all of you that have posted their thoughts here, and have not ripped or flamed anyone else for their opinion. (No matter how wrong it is) LOL :thumb:

Just my thoughts

Taz

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Stone leveled a guy with a solid open ice hit. It was not dirty and whoever says Stone is a dirty player needs to give his head a shake. He is one of the toughest pound for pound player in the WHL right now.

Suspensions for throwing a solid clean shoulder body check. How ludricrous can you get. Lets just dress the boys up in tutus and have them ballet dance on the ice while your at it.

ScottyWazz
04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Looking at it again.....and again...and again. There's no definite angle. It looks like his arm is rather high-- especially when you have a 6'2 guy up against a 6'5 guy-- but I'll give Stone the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless-- the refs need to call the game as it's suppose to be called. If Carse doesn't have the puck, then it's a rough or charging call, if he did-- it's up to the ref.

Personally-- Carson went to a heaping pile of body parts too quickly to not get a shot to the head or neck. Him not return and probable for tonight is a little sketchy too, but whatever. I'm happy with the 2-1 lead in the series and wish the reffing was a little better for both sides.

This series is going to get out of hand fast for non-calls from both sides and will get real ugly, real quickly if nothing is done.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Stone leveled a guy with a solid open ice hit. It was not dirty and whoever says Stone is a dirty player needs to give his head a shake. He is one of the toughest pound for pound player in the WHL right now.

Suspensions for throwing a solid clean shoulder body check. How ludricrous can you get. Lets just dress the boys up in tutus and have them ballet dance on the ice while your at it.

Since when is a check from behind clean?

Or charging straight across the ice to deliver the hit?

There is tough hockey, and then there is cowards hockey.

It is getting pretty obvious that Brandon plays cowards hockey.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Apparently Carson is out at least two weeks with a concussion.

But then, of course, it was a legal check afterall. That Carson was hit straight from behind and had no way of knowing the hit was coming, or protecting himelf is not relevent.

We gotta protect dirty players, otherwise Brandon will cry. :rolleyes:

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
The only people crying are the Calgary fans. The ref was right there and chose not to make a call. The TV guys watched and said it was good solid LEGAL hit. TSN showed it in its highlight packagae. He came from the side and hit Carson who was standing still admiring his pass.

Good Solid Clean hockey from A Good Solid Clean Hockey player :thumb:

ScottyWazz
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Karma's is bad thing-- I just hope Stone knows this. He'll get his, I'm very sure of it.

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Thats why you play the game. Settle it on the ice. If you go looking for it you better be ready to recieve it. :thumb:

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 05:48 PM
You never explained how a check from behind is legal.

Nor did you explain how it is legal to charge the entire width of the ice to make a hit from behind.

Hopefully Stone receives one of those "legal" checks from behind straight into the boards. I wonder how your "live by the sword, die by the sword" attitude would change then?

Cowards hockey. Stone doesnt have the guts to hit a guy face to face. He has to do it from behind. But then, when you are clearly the inferior team on the ice, I guess you have to resort to deliberately injuring players to try and compete.

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2005, 06:00 PM
1. It was from the side
2. You can come from across the ice you cant skate into your opponent. You have to "let up" 3 strides out.
3. No call from the refs and no suspensions from the league. Can you take a hint now?
4. As for Stone being "a coward" You obviously been living in a box. I gurantee you that he is a match in the Fisticuffs department for anyone on the Calgary roster.

BWK
04-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Come on RunTheGoalie, take off the fans glasses and actually watch the video. Carson sees Stone coming so he passes the puck. Then he watches the pass instead of watching for the man coming that caused him to pass it in the first place. Just because he wasn't looking does not make it a check from behind or a dirty hit.

Yes Carson has a concussion and that is unfortunate but players have recieved concussions from legal hits before. Hockey is a physical game, and because a player plays physical and completes his check is no reason to stoop to name calling.

RunTheGoalie says "...Hopefully Stone receives one of those "legal" checks from behind straight into the boards. I wonder how your "live by the sword, die by the sword" attitude would change then?..."

Man that is weak!! Total different senario.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I recorded the video BWK, and no, Carson never sees Stone coming at any point. I suggest you take your fan glasses off, as you are clearly trying to defend your coward without the evidence to back it up.

As for the referee angle Joe, Rob Matsouka is one of the most incompetent officials in the game. I cant find anybody in any rink that likes him. He didnt call a penalty for one reason: It wasnt Brandon's turn to be penalized. It was happening all night, mostly by Brandon, but occasionally by Calgary as well where if you got the last penalty, you could take as many free shots as you want until your opponent takes a penalty.

As for the league, the WHL has a long history of ignoring suspendable offenses. A timid league that would rather see players injured via cheapshots than enforce it's rules does not constitute a valid defense either.

And, of course, tonight, another game, another cheapshot. Except this time a better referee made the right call. Another Brandon Coward - Mr. Later - with an elbow to Yeo's head. He received a well deserved major for it, and that hit wasnt half as bad as Stone's check from behind.

Hopefully Calgary can finish this game off in five, as the longer this series goes, the more likely we are going to lose more players due to the dirty actions of the losers from Brandon.

Like I said, The Wheat Kings are clearly the inferior team. I guess deliberately injuring opponents is their only hope.

Flathead
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
of the exact same type of hit that Ryan Hollweg threw on Stone's little bro, Colin Stone. Both hits were clean, no elbows anyways. Charging mabye? Both were blind sided hits up high, only difference is that Colin was about 3 feet from the boards and his head bashed of the dasher. I was at the game and livid that nothing was called. But what do you call, there was no elbow, charging was debateable, wasn't really from behind. I don't agree with either hit, in both cases I think they both had time to let up(but your supposed to finish your checks, right?) and just hit them hard enough to let them know your there, otherwise some kind of roughing or charging penalty should be called. Colin missed all of this year, and his career is still on hold. Still wishing Colin a healthy return as well now Carson!

Orv
04-14-2005, 03:20 AM
As many fans on this board will tell you I hate the Hitmen but seriously that hit on Carson was cheap. It was directly from behind. If Carson moves or not it was from behind. It is funny one Wheatie fan said "On the playoffs you finish your checks." What if that check was three feet from the boards??? Would it be cheap then if he ran Carson's head into the boards from behind...because he did finish his check.

From an unbiased opinion (I hate both teams and the Ice will roll either of them) it was a a dirty hit and he has to live up to it.

rockinthehouse
04-14-2005, 10:24 PM
There is no doubt about it, the hit on Carson was cheap. Whether Stone hit him with the elbow or behind is irrelevent to me. The guy had Carson lined up from the other end of the ice. The last I checked that is charging.

I couldn't believe my ears that night when Fehr went on Global Sports and said that Stone is one of the classiest guys he knows. I don't know what game he was watching. That check certainly wasn't classy