PDA

View Full Version : Brandon 5 v 1 Swifty

sbtatter
12-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone at the game got a recap for us? My WHL TV feed wasn't working tonight.

Link Dog
12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Short version, Calvert Schenn Glennie line was great till Toulmin took Calvert out of the game with a big hit in the second. Wheaties capitalized on their chances, Broncos hit 3 bars and failed to score with the pp, the big chance being the 1:30 5-3. I'll leave the full breakdown to Big Ern.

sbtatter
12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Short version, Calvert Schenn Glennie line was great till Toulmin took Calvert out of the game with a big hit in the second. Wheaties capitalized on their chances, Broncos hit 3 bars and failed to score with the pp, the big chance being the 1:30 5-3. I'll leave the full breakdown to Big Ern.
Did Calvert return? Is that why little Fehr took on Touliman?

Link Dog
12-05-2008, 11:22 PM
sbtatter Quote:
Did Calvert return? Is that why little Fehr took on Touliman?
No and yes.

sbtatter
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
No and yes.
Hope he recovers for his WJC tryout.
Lubke said that Aulie was laying the hits out well in the 1st....

smackitsakic
12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
The game had a ton of huge hits from both sides.

Not the greatest of games but wow, a few Hit of the Year candidates were definitely thrown in this one.

Big Ern
12-06-2008, 12:21 AM
The Swift Current Broncos' listless 0 for 5 powerplay was their ultimate undoing on Saturday night, as they were outdone 5-1 by the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings.

-tremendous early chances not converted may have played a big part as well. The Broncos' home barn is always tough to play in because of that goal you're likely to give up in the first five minutes. It did not happen tonight....

-Swift Current worked hard for a big measure of the game...sometimes bounces don't go your way. Three posts ringing tonight were an indication of how things went for the homeside.

-Matt Tassone was repeatedly frustrated by the posts and James Priestner, the Wheaties' goalie. Yet, he kept chugging along and battling at a tremendous pace. He's wearing the "C" in style.

-the Broncos' great effort was dented a bit by the rather sluggish play of two veteran defensemen and the goaltending tonight. All of these could have been a lot better IMO. The veteran guys...especially on defense, are heavily relied upon by this club, and so is goaltending. I doubt that off nights by any of the aforementioned are acceptable.

-Brandon's big line is tough to stop. With that much talent and strength among three players, the red light is bound to come on. The big line was on the ice for that all-important go-ahead goal late in the first period at 18:54. The Broncos didn't help things by icing the puck over and over again in frame one. That enabled Brandon to get the line changes in, and Swifty was forced to play tired guys.

-Joel Rogers, James Martin, and Derek Claffey all played their game well. Claffey and Martin had some meanness in their game, while Rogers continued to impress. Ryan Molle was back in the line-up and played a stellar game too....he had a tilt with Brandon's Darren Bestland. Kudos to Molls for his attempt to spark the club, and sticking up for his teammate who took a big hit.

-Geordie Wudrick has been a monster lately. It's been a long time coming, but Geordie is flying right now. He's hitting, creating chances, and is just a force out there.

-Brandon did a good job to tie up Bronco sticks and take care of men parked in front of their goal. Brandon's defence has been questioned and such, but big Keith Aulie can carry a lot of the load, as well as Chad Erb. And when a goalie is as sharp as Priestner was tonight despite his help from the posts, it can really help on the defensive side of things.

-again, the PP was the sore spot. I guess not scoring on a 5 on 3 opportunity is a big no-no and drags a team down. The Broncos didn't seem to want to shoot at opportune times. Shooting always creates scoring chances. On the other hand, it's easy to watch in the stands and tell guys what to do, and blog on whlfans. I imagine it's way tougher on the ice.

All in all, I think it was an honest effort tonight. There is seemingly a bottom line cause for the loss, but most guys worked really hard. They just fell short.

The team now departs for the much-anticipated BC road trip. It's a long one.... Hopefully it'll be a time of team bonding and a lot of fun for the group. At the same time, the challenge for the coaching staff will probably be to keep everyone focused before the Christmas break kicks in, as Asst. Coach Tim Kehler eluded to in the post-game show. Hopefully some help is on the way on the injury front....will we see Cody Eakin on this road trip?

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Just Notes:

-the game plans versus Brandon should probably include a strategy to deal with the stronghold Brandon GM/HC Kelly McCrimmon has on the officials. It was very clear tonight in the second period. There were two instigating incidents in approximately five minutes. One of them was completely ignored...on the other side it was called. One Bronco was slashed blatantly in the defensive end with the official right there...nothing. And then there was the tripping play at centre ice which was a no doubter. Nothing. Yet, the Broncos got three penalties in a row in that second frame...a period in which I thought they were a lot more disciplined than the visitors. The even-up calls started coming in waves as Brandon cut a swath to the penalty box starting late in the period. But at that point they were up 3-1 already. Sometimes it's too late to even things up. Just my view though....I guess. It is what it is.

-any fight recaps? I don't know what it is, but fighting in hockey is not something I would pay to watch. I think it's more important to win on the scoreboard than to win with the gloves off. Now I've never complained about a good old fashioned tilt...that's what most fans love. But as far as detailed fight recaps, don't look for them from this guy.

-TEDDY BEARS! Teddy Bear Toss was rather amusing tonight....especially the clean-up. Cypress Motors was demonstrating their new '09 model Ford truck in the clean-up. Right behind it came the City of Swift Current's Chevy, leaving dirt on the ice. :)

-it will be a busy weekend for me in the soundbooth at the i-Plex with two Legionnaire games coming up and one AA Hurricanes game. The Legion hosts Regina in a two-game home set at 8 PM Saturday, and 1 PM Sunday respectively. If you have a chance to make either game, please do so. The Legionnaires are in need of your support.

-as for my BC road trip plans...well....it's a no-go. My place of employment is taking two weeks off later in December, and two weeks off in early December for the trip would bring the December total to four weeks off. That would be too hard a hit. I guess sometimes things don't work out as planned. WHL WEB TV will come in handy and so will my S-Video cable. A quick transfer of the video from the laptop to the big screen television should make for a few fun nights on the couch watching the far-away Broncos.

I'm out.

smackitsakic
12-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I thought Yonkman had some bright spots in the game where he was left out to dry and made some big stops for his team. The game could have been worse on the score board than it was. When you've got some of the pure snipers that Brandon does, it's simply tough to stop any shot from slot-like areas regardless of how good you are. Brandon's goals were beauties, which is what good teams are capable of.

I also thought that Tassone was a ghost last night, then took a 10 in the 3rd where he abruptly quit on the shift to complain to the ref while the play went up ice. Reminded me of Chuck Knoblach in an old playoff game!

Wudrick did indeed look good last night. I was surprised to hear that Broncos fans have been hard on him as of late. Looked solid to me.

Speedy Broncs
12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Big Ern]
-Geordie Wudrick has been a monster lately. It's been a long time coming, but Geordie is flying right now. He's hitting, creating chances, and is just a force out there.

Are you kidding me? I can probably quickly hand count at least 10 fans around me last night that moaned and groaned when Wudrick got named 2nd star. There were several others that should have been way ahead of him in the star selection (Tassone, Dalecky, Molle, Toulmin) - and to be named 2nd star ahead of Aulie ... sorry can't see it. "Hitting" - he had several chances to hit guys but he backed away/shyed away ... if he would use his size, he COULD be a force but he does not. Tisdale's comments in post-game (he should be more selfish and less trying to set others up) - again, are you kidding me! I have never seen a more selfish player with the puck. Now, if you would say that Vause and Hoban should be more selfish, I will agree with that. Sure, Wudrick has some goals in recent games - get Vause and Hoban to make the nice plays and put the puck on my cherry-picking stick and I'll put them in too.

As for comments on vet dmen - bang on! Their lack of focus did not help Yonks one bit and he had no support from several of them last night. The Brandon skill players likely said thanks when the seas parted on several occasions and allowed them to shoot from 10-15 feet from the net.

5 on 3 - why a stone handed D on the back end instead of a play maker to help move the puck around? Why have Mac on for his big shot, versus someone to make quick movements?

Tassone - wearing the C with passion! Gave it his all the entire game and other older guys around him should take a lesson!! Zebra knew he missed a call where Matt started giving it to him, so got the 10 minutes.

Thought molle played a good game - standing up for a hit on a teammate (finally someone stepping up to do this), extra hustle for keeping puck in at blueline. Dalecky - good hustle all night.

Toulmin - great clean hit on Calvert in open ice! Hopefully OK for world junior tryouts - likely just shook up or air knocked out. How Fehr does not get an instigator there I am not sure .... he chased Toulmin from Bronco end to Brandon blue line to catch him.

All in all - Brandon took advantage of their chances and scored some nice goals on sniper shots. But the two teams are close.

bronco rep
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Did anyone notice how Dean got out coached again. When there was a faceoff in out end & our forth line was out there who did Mr McCrimmon fire over the boards, but the the big three. Why he did not counter with this i will never know. Don't we have last change? Last time i looked the home team has last change. Come on DEAN its time to move Dudas, this **** is dragging on far to long. Everyone knows he is not coming back here. Man alive would i love to see someone coach this team who the players repect.

CrazyGeorge
12-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Great Comments Rep...regarding Dudas, can't agree more!!!

Speedy Broncs
12-06-2008, 11:58 AM
rep - lots of unnecessary icings caused our 4th line out there and allowed McCrimmon to get Schenn's line out

ointhecreek
12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Did anyone notice how Dean got out coached again. When there was a faceoff in out end & our forth line was out there who did Mr McCrimmon fire over the boards, but the the big three. Why he did not counter with this i will never know. Don't we have last change? Last time i looked the home team has last change. Come on DEAN its time to move Dudas, this **** is dragging on far to long. Everyone knows he is not coming back here. Man alive would i love to see someone coach this team who the players repect.
C'mon rep. You should know Dean couldn't change lines on an icing call. Let's start the Habby chant, it happens every year about this time. Sheesh.

dodywood4ever
12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Anybody have recaps of the fights? I mean anybody who will recap the entire game and not hop on his soapbox and preach to the rest of us what is important in a hockey game.

Allin44
12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I am going to guess that Toulmin decimated Fehr, as he should.

Also, you can go up to a guy, and challenge him, as long as you give him a chance to oblige and drop the mitts, not just start feeding him, you won't get the instigator.

I didn't see the game so I don't know how Fehr went about it, I hope for his own health he jumped him from behind

bronco rep
12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Well do all you folks think the players like Dean. The guy walks around the rink like his **** don't >>>>>. This guy never & i mean never walks around & talks to the fans. Is it not the fans that pays this guys wages?Hey Habby will always talk to a person & as a manner of fact i have never seen a coach that has been involved with the Broncos not go around & try to get to know the fans. What drives me nuts about this guy is that nothing is never ever positive about the kids. I would hate to come back to the bench, because your not ever going to get any positive feedback from this guy. Why did people like playing for Habby. BECAUSE HE WAS A PLAYERS COACH. BOTTOM LINE. Think about it folks.

sbtatter
12-06-2008, 02:48 PM

Also, you can go up to a guy, and challenge him, as long as you give him a chance to oblige and drop the mitts, not just start feeding him, you won't get the instigator.

I didn't see the game so I don't know how Fehr went about it, I hope for his own health he jumped him from behind
That's funny, I have an image of a terrier sneaking up on a German Shepherd!! Hopefully Fehr kept his helmet on and survived, fighting a guy half a foot taller and probably 40 lbs heavier!!!

ointhecreek
12-06-2008, 03:38 PM

So what you are saying is you condone one player jumping another from behind?

ointhecreek
12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Hopefully Fehr kept his helmet on and survived, fighting a guy half a foot taller and probably 40 lbs heavier!!!
Wasn't much of a fight. I don't think there were any punches even thrown. They were to busy wrestling to get each others helmets off then fell to the ice. Toulmin isn't much of a scrapper, just big. I don't think I've seen him actually win a scrap.

Flathead
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Big Ern]

Are you kidding me? I can probably quickly hand count at least 10 fans around me last night that moaned and groaned when Wudrick got named 2nd star. There were several others that should have been way ahead of him in the star selection (Tassone, Dalecky, Molle, Toulmin) - and to be named 2nd star ahead of Aulie ... sorry can't see it. "Hitting" - he had several chances to hit guys but he backed away/shyed away ... if he would use his size, he COULD be a force but he does not. Tisdale's comments in post-game (he should be more selfish and less trying to set others up) - again, are you kidding me! I have never seen a more selfish player with the puck. Now, if you would say that Vause and Hoban should be more selfish, I will agree with that. Sure, Wudrick has some goals in recent games - get Vause and Hoban to make the nice plays and put the puck on my cherry-picking stick and I'll put them in too.

As for comments on vet dmen - bang on! Their lack of focus did not help Yonks one bit and he had no support from several of them last night. The Brandon skill players likely said thanks when the seas parted on several occasions and allowed them to shoot from 10-15 feet from the net.

5 on 3 - why a stone handed D on the back end instead of a play maker to help move the puck around? Why have Mac on for his big shot, versus someone to make quick movements?

Tassone - wearing the C with passion! Gave it his all the entire game and other older guys around him should take a lesson!! Zebra knew he missed a call where Matt started giving it to him, so got the 10 minutes.

Thought molle played a good game - standing up for a hit on a teammate (finally someone stepping up to do this), extra hustle for keeping puck in at blueline. Dalecky - good hustle all night.

Toulmin - great clean hit on Calvert in open ice! Hopefully OK for world junior tryouts - likely just shook up or air knocked out. How Fehr does not get an instigator there I am not sure .... he chased Toulmin from Bronco end to Brandon blue line to catch him.

All in all - Brandon took advantage of their chances and scored some nice goals on sniper shots. But the two teams are close.

Well you and I at least saw the same game. Not sure where you are in the rink but people all around me groaned as well when Wudrick got second star, myseld included. He had two very selfish rushes and that was about it. The rest of the time he stood around and watch the action all around him. It was like he was lost and refused to keep his legs moving. And I also agree on his "hitting" or "love tapping" in his case. Come on Geordie you have the size to be force out there and I've always been a fan of yours but you are playing no where near your potential.
I also thought Tassone was a force out there last night and played a great game, I thought the "C" looked good on him. He got frustrated near the end but at least he showed some emotion and desire to win.
And talking about emotion and team pride, how about Molle. This years guy that everyone likes to harp on easily played his best game last night and was way more deserving of a star than Wudrick. Way to go Molle, keep playimg like that and you'll be a fan favorite in no time.
Yonks needs to pick it up as well, 17 goals against in his last 3 starts, ouch! Not playing like the Yonkman we know.

RV@BBB
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Wudrick is overrated anyone who is supposedly that good and has "potential" wouldnt need excuses like hes lazy or hes got the im drafted mentality. Lets face it as bad as he is thats as good as he gets. Hes not lazy or pulling away hes just not good enough. Every person has their peak and its obvious he reached his and this is his everyday. Anyone can have "one" good night, but the really good guys are the ones that only have "one" bad night.

Broncs in RD
12-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Back from Vegas....broke and disappointed about the Broncos lately. 9-7 lose to Calgary, lose to Red Deer a win against PA and a 5-1 lose to Brandon. I recall when the broncs were on a 5 game losing streak people were saying not to push the panic button every team goes through bumps. Are people ready for some type of change YET, or do we stay status quo.
IMO we build for next year trade Yonkman, Dudas, a 19 y/o or two.
Just my 2 cents cause thats all I got left.

CrazyGeorge
12-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I agree with Broncos in RD.

Son of a Preacher Man
12-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Dean's not a players coach. He has an eye for talent and a good scouting staff in place but if you watch him behind the bench he doesn't do or say much. He has no consistancy in his lines and seems to always mix them up. No set lines so how do the players get used to each other on the ice. Also he never seems to match lines and doesn't seem to care if the opposing team has last line change. I agree, he gets out coached more often than not. You look at opposing teams coaches. They are always talking to the players on the bench or patting them on the back for a good play. Our coach is motionless. As for not noticing fans? Your right he does walk right past you like your invisible.

Offsider
12-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry Rep Please NO HABBY Boring Trap hockey not even sure he can coach with out a red line .I am sorry but like run and gun instead of trap. I do agree with some of your comments about Dean not being a fans coach

sbtatter
12-07-2008, 09:49 AM
is a reloading year for you guys. As we did last year. When you reload there is less pressure on the team and you often do better than expected early in the year, not quite so good the rest of the way. I expect you to finish 8th in the conference, and gain sme valuable experience for next season. Just play the young guys a lot, let them learn, like we did with Schenn, Melnychuk and Glennie.
Any trades you make you should be doing with an eye to build for the next 2 seasons. There is no reason for you to keep an overage goalie in a non championship year.

Speedy Broncs
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Sbtatter - can't disagree that it is difficult to keep a 20 yr old goalie in a year when the team is not among the elite. In our case, we have a 19 and a 20 ... both who could be #1 goalies. Unless the defence is not good enough and the goalie is the only thing that keeps things close - not the case with us, our d is doing OK. If Yonkman goes, hoping he goes to a contender to finish off his career ... by all reports a good kid, and he can be the difference in a playoff run (see April 2008 playoff run!!). If trades happen, adding some other more experienced guys for some 17-18 year olds would pose well for the near future, as we have a good nucleus of younger talent.

sbtatter
12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Sbtatter - can't disagree that it is difficult to keep a 20 yr old goalie in a year when the team is not among the elite. In our case, we have a 19 and a 20 ... both who could be #1 goalies. Unless the defence is not good enough and the goalie is the only thing that keeps things close - not the case with us, our d is doing OK. If Yonkman goes, hoping he goes to a contender to finish off his career ... by all reports a good kid, and he can be the difference in a playoff run (see April 2008 playoff run!!). If trades happen, adding some other more experienced guys for some 17-18 year olds would pose well for the near future, as we have a good nucleus of younger talent.
As much as it pains me to say it, I think you'll have a good young team next year!! Eakin being out so much this year hasn't helped you any....

Offsider
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry But hard to build a team around Eakin he has been a band-aid getting close to sitting more games that hes played last year and this year.

Link Dog
12-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I think this could be a busy year for us at the trade deadline. The BC trip is going to be the telling factor I believe. We could be a .500 team by the end of Dec. unless we have a great trip. I see no reason not to trade our older assests for players who will compliment our quality core of younger players for next year. Either way, IMO Dudas has to go.

sbtatter
12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Sorry But hard to build a team around Eakin he has been a band-aid getting close to sitting more games that hes played last year and this year. Realistically, what would you trade him for from our team?

observer9
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Well do all you folks think the players like Dean. The guy walks around the rink like his **** don't >>>>>. This guy never & i mean never walks around & talks to the fans. Is it not the fans that pays this guys wages?Hey Habby will always talk to a person & as a manner of fact i have never seen a coach that has been involved with the Broncos not go around & try to get to know the fans. What drives me nuts about this guy is that nothing is never ever positive about the kids. I would hate to come back to the bench, because your not ever going to get any positive feedback from this guy. Why did people like playing for Habby. BECAUSE HE WAS A PLAYERS COACH. BOTTOM LINE. Think about it folks.

Rep, sometimes I think you know what you're talking about... but then you say stuff like this that is COMPLETELY absurd,

Habby a players coach?? Pfffft.

He's the exact opposite. Have you ever heard a good word spoken about habby from his former players? No. Does he get results? Yes. Why? Because he pushes every available button a player has. Challenging the player, his will, his intergrity. That's how he does it.

As for former players saying good things about Dean... ask anyone of the guys who turned pro this past year. They will vouch for him. He went a long ways in turning guys like Smith and Wiese into the great pro prospects they are today.

Players coach? Compared to Habby, Dean looks like the teams third line center and designated driver.

The Wheatiemaniac
12-07-2008, 06:28 PM

When rubbed the wrong way, Jay Fehr is a miserable little pitbull, and will chew a hole through you if you're not careful. And from what I've heard about Toulmin, he's not exactly Stone Cold Steve Austin. Anf for fehr to fight, the hit couldn't have been that clean.

ointhecreek
12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
When rubbed the wrong way, Jay Fehr is a miserable little pitbull, and will chew a hole through you if you're not careful. And from what I've heard about Toulmin, he's not exactly Stone Cold Steve Austin. Anf for fehr to fight, the hit couldn't have been that clean.
Bull! Did you see the game? The hit was clean as they come, the ref was standing 5 feet away. Caught him with his head down trying to get fancy with the puck.

Brandonite
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Come on now! Jay Fehr a pitbull? Jay Fehr get mad?? I know he jumped in and did a good teamate deed here but come on now! I think talking about him "chewing a hole through you" is a FAR FAR fetch! I respect you defending your team here but Jay Fehr is hardly any of that and Im personally a fan of him...

Flathead
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry But hard to build a team around Eakin he has been a band-aid getting close to sitting more games that hes played last year and this year.
I agree and have always thought that Dowling was a better player anyways. Nothing against Eakin he is pretty good, but a little overrated and Dowling very underrated.

transplantedbronco
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow someone thinks Marc Habscheid is aplayers coach. Yeah right. Players hate him but this I know THEY RESPECT HIM. Here I dont think that respect is there. They do not fear him. In Kelowna you had two choices play hard every night or go home. Marc knew how to get the most out every player. And he is not just about the trap. Look at the year before he won the Memorial cup and try and tell me he played the trap. 02-03 311 goals for 03-04 (year of Mem Cup) 125 goals for. His systems changed with the talent and thats what makes him a great coach.

Now people think Dean does not talk to the fans. I do not see that at all. He has been one of the most approachable coaches in recent memory. He talk his licks but does not shy away either. He may not give you a straight answer but you can ask him anything.