PDA

View Full Version : Dec 6 2008 Giants 5 Blades 1

dondo
12-07-2008, 01:35 AM
This one wasn't even close.

The Giants played one of those solid team games tonight and they found the twine on the PP, even-strength and short-handed. They completely dismantled a very good, yet probably a bit tired team in the Saskatoon Blades who lead the Eastern Division.

Someone tonight was telling me that the Blades came into this game on a 14 game road game winning streak and he's from originally from Saskatoon and still has family there so I have no reason to doubt his assertions. The one thing I do know is that f they were on a 14 game road win streak, it ended tonight as the Giants played a perfect road game at home giving the Blades no time or room to make plays.

here's how I saw it from the corner:

Giants Dull Blades
Vancouver 5 Saskatoon 1

Don Robinson

The Saskatoon Blades were on a 14 game road winning streak but that all stopped tonight, when they were pressed hard by the home team and failed to get a real sniff this evening at the Coliseum. The Giants had excellent gap control and brought an intense forecheck to open the game. The Blades who had to have been tired after so many recent road games could not keep up, fell early and were not able to pick themselves back off the mat. Adam Basford got the Teddy Bear goal, scoring a nice one on an early PP by the Giants, who forced the Blades to take a few penalties trying to press back versus the home team. Basford was awarded the hard-hat by his team mates tonight as well. The blue-line corps were dominant tonight as Jonathon Blum and Craig Schira both had a goal and an assist, while Brent Regner had two assists as the Giants defense were stifling with their gap control and physical play. Evander Kane and Craig Cunningham also had a goal and a helper as the Giants got contributions from throughout their line-up, playing a solid game from pole to pole, and all places in-between. The Blades were never really given a chance to make it close as the Giants were up 3-0 by the time the visitors found the twine.

Adam Basford opened the scoring in the first five minutes of the game on the PP, getting the business of throwing the bears on the ice out of the way early. Craig Schira and Mischa Fisenko got the helpers. A few bears got hung up on the netting as usual, but the ice crew were quick to clear them off before play restarted. Kind of sad really I personally like it when the bears hang there for the whole period if not the game, but then I am not looking through them from the upper seats. The Blades took a lame delay of game penalty clearing the puck (something I still don’t think should even be a penalty, but whatever) and it cost them. The Blades continued to take some lazy penalties and they paid as the Giants scored two PPs and an even strength marker in the opening frame giving the G-Men a 3-0 cushion before the Blades got one of those back.

Evander Kane tallied the second marker in the first, scoring a nice one on the doorstep as Braden Holtby made a nice first stop, but couldn’t corral the rebound before Kane got his stick on it. Blum and Schira worked the puck around with crisp passing before throwing it on net, garnering the two assists on the play. Lance Bouma scored the third of the period off of a beautiful passing play by Cunningham from behind the net. The Blades took the only four penalties of the period and they paid for it, as the Kane goal came with a 5 on 3 advantage. Adam Chorneyko squeaked the puck past Sexsmith off of a broken play, a goal that Sexy would probably want back.

In the second the Giants padded their tally by two, essentially putting the game out of reach for the flagging Blades squad. Blum started the play passing the puck to Garry Nunn who fed Evander Kane streaking down the right wing. Not content with just an assist, Blum hustled down the slot potting the goal off of a perfect flip pass from Kane. Holtby didn’t have a hope on that one. I’d be surprised if that goal isn’t selected as a WHL play of the week next Friday. When the Blades got a PP for Todd Kennedy trying to goad Teigan Zhan into fighting, they ended up fishing the puck from their own net. The ref interpreted Kennedy’s antic as a unsportsmanlike move, which it could arguably have been as Kennedy hounded Zahn in the Blades end of the ice - ignoring the play down the other end of the ice. I didn’t see what Zahn did to warrant this kind of attention, but I assume it was something. If someone could enlighten me I’d appreciate it. The Giants had the last laugh though as they killed a penalty and got yet another SH tally, which makes three in two games, to virtually salt the game away at the end of the second. With under ten seconds left in the period, Regner stripped the puck at his own blue-line and fed Cunningham who sneaked around the Blade player and had a step on him going down the ice. Richie went in at speed on Holtby and beat him with a soft backhand to the top shelf.

The third was a scoreless affair, with neither team ready to really put the effort in to work for a goal. The Giants played a solid defensive period, shutting down the Blades and coming back with some forays of their own, but nothing of the really dangerous variety. Sexsmith made a few decent stops, but was not really challenged to make that game-saver stop. The teams had 6 shots apiece in the final frame, which was pretty indicative of the intensity of the third. A crowd of almost 10,000 enjoyed the bear toss night and the complete dismantling of a tired team who were checked hard early and not given any room to make plays. Not sure what other gears the Blades have though, but you don’t win fourteen straight on the road without some chops. Holtby was not horrible tonight, but he wasn’t great either. The Giants effort in front of the Blades net and hunger for the puck to a man all night was something to watch though. This is a good team that should have a few other teams continuing to struggle to keep up this season.

The Giants went 2 for 7 on the PP, holding their opponent to 0 for 4, scoring a shorty to boot. The Giants out-shot the Blades 39-18. The G-Men have to get a good nights sleep tonight as they have a 5 o’clock game versus a struggling Chilliwack squad tomorrow. The Bruins are one of only two teams to hand the Giants a regulation loss this season, but if the G-Men don’t take them lightly and work hard the Bruins should not be able to compete. Jamie Tucker will probably get the nod in net, as has mostly been the rule this season so far for back-to-back tilts. Tucker will be getting a few consecutive starts when Sexsmith goes to the Team Canada Junior squad camp and a few more if Sexsmith makes the team. Sexy has some stiff competition from two other dub goalies and one from the Q, so he’s by no means a lock. The puck drops Sunday at 5:00pm PST at the Coliseum.

Three Stars

1) Jonathon Blum
2) Evander Kane
3) Adam Basford

Lucic
12-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Zahn caught Wright pretty good with a hit between center ice and the blue line. Kennedy immediately challenged him. Pretty dumb penalty call if you ask me. Maybe if Kennedy actually dropped his gloves or stick I'd understand it but that certainly wasn't the case. The incident didn't have any effect at all on the actual play. Zahn backed down and Kennedy didn't push the issue enough to warrant a penalty, IMO.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Zahn caught Wright pretty good with a hit between center ice and the blue line. Kennedy immediately challenged him. Pretty dumb penalty call if you ask me. Maybe if Kennedy actually dropped his gloves or stick I'd understand it but that certainly wasn't the case. The incident didn't have any effect at all on the actual play. Zahn backed down and Kennedy didn't push the issue enough to warrant a penalty, IMO.

He has been a solid 18 year old for the Blades,and sometimes gets in trouble with the odd hit from behind.(I do know if that was the case?) Anyways I stopped listening to the radio broadcast after the score became 3-0(not because I do not have confidence in the Blades that they could battle back and make a game of it) but the chance of that was slim in my point of view considering the fatigue and injury factor for the Blades.

The Giants played the way that they have been all season I think,I kind of wish that these two teams could face off again but with both teams fresh and rested. That will not happen obviously. It was nice to see #5 for the Giants collect 2 assists and to assist in the T.B.T goal as well. Obviously with me living and being from Saskatoon I think that the Blades Booster Club are a classy bunch of people. I have been on a couple of trips with them,and I wished that I could have taken in this B.C road trip.

Good Luck the rest of the way,and thanks for beating up on the other east division teams that you guys have played this season. :wave:

scrunt
12-07-2008, 12:46 PM

I thought it was an okay call. The first goading by Kennedy was not worthy of a call, but he kept at it -- seemingly for five or 10 seconds, keeping both players on the Blades' side of centre ice when the play was in the Giants zone.

Kennedy's statement was made after the first challenge and Zahn backed down, and by not dropping the gloves too soon Kennedy retained the option to get back in the play. Instead, he kept at it, waving his arms etc. When he continued to show no sign of backing off, the ref called him.

Sure, the ref could have turned a blind eye as long as Kennedy refrained from doffing his gloves, but he kept at it and, IMO, deserved a penalty. Moreover, I only saw the tail end of the hit on Wright, but it looked clean to me, so there was no real justification for Kennedy to impart renegade justice anyway.

dondo and I disagreed on this one too, and I doubt many others will see it the same way I do, but hey, I calls em as I sees em.

sbtatter
12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
The Giants are the class of the dub at the moment, man you've had a good first half.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
The Giants are the class of the dub at the moment, man you've had a good first half.
Way to point out the obvious and as if calling the Giants a "powerhouse" is not a big enough clue that "hey they are the class of the WHL"!!!!!!! even I knew that and probably every other well educated WHL hockey fan would too.

sbtatter
12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Way to point out the obvious and as if calling the Giants a "powerhouse" is not a big enough clue that "hey they are the class of the WHL"!!!!!!! even I knew that and probably every other well educated WHL hockey fan would too.
Thanks for your contribution.....I think!!!

dondo
12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks Blades fans, you have a good team there and as the game wore on it was obvious to me that the Blades were lacking their first string legs, but they fell down clearing the front of their net, and Holtby made some good stops only to have a Giant player beat him/and his D to the puck.

We love having Schira, he's been such a welcome addition to our squad and he has discovered a scoring touch now that he's allowed to pinch and make offensive plays. His hip check is almost as good as Festerling's was now (maybe even better) and that's saying something.

Great player, works hard every shift.. good Saskatchewan kid! vci34

Lucic
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Sure, the ref could have turned a blind eye as long as Kennedy refrained from doffing his gloves, but he kept at it and, IMO, deserved a penalty. Moreover, I only saw the tail end of the hit on Wright, but it looked clean to me, so there was no real justification for Kennedy to impart renegade justice anyway.

It was a clean hit from what I saw. Regardless I still don't think Kennedy did anything to warrant a penalty. So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks Blades fans, you have a good team there and as the game wore on it was obvious to me that the Blades were lacking their first string legs, but they fell down clearing the front of their net, and Holtby made some good stops only to have a Giant player beat him/and his D to the puck.

We love having Schira, he's been such a welcome addition to our squad and he has discovered a scoring touch now that he's allowed to pinch and make offensive plays. His hip check is almost as good as Festerling's was now (maybe even better) and that's saying something.

Great player, works hard every shift.. good Saskatchewan kid! vci34
That is good to hear,I have been paying attention to his stats all season long,and he sure seems be one of the guys that helps carry and lift this team to where they are thus far in the season. I hope that continues!!!!

dondo
12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah Craig's great GBG

I remember that hit now and at the time both scrunt and I felt it was clean, the hands came up as part of the follow-through and we both were shaking our heads when Wright put himself into that vulnerable position. In my mind it was clean hit and pretty solid one.

If that's what Kennedy was up in arms about I applaud his instinct to stick up for his team mate, but ask him to save that kind of Bertuzzi-esque hunting for some more serious stuff.

rinkrat
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Schira wore the captains "C" before Blum was returned from Nashville, and he will wear it again when Blum goes to the WJC.
I'm really happy with Schira too, great player, great skater!

old_time_hockey
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Schira wore the captains "C" before Blum was returned from Nashville, and he will wear it again when Blum goes to the WJC.
I'm really happy with Schira too, great player, great skater!

There was a guy and his son sitting next to me at the game. His son is in his first year of pee-wee and plays D. Made the rep team as a rookie apparently. His dad kept telling him to watch Schira and how he moves around the ice telling him that is how you are going to have to be able to move to be a top level Dman.

dondo
12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Someone was saying that he wished some of our other d-men would learn to skate backward as well as Craig and he's right on, that guy has serious mobility moving backwards, the only D-men who beats him is possibly Blum.

I was watching Maschmeyer taking a page from Schira with a nice hip check during the Bruins game. Didn't quite get him, but being that the guy is only 5' 9" it was fairly impressive.