PDA

View Full Version : Who to get?

dagley
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Who would you guys see right now in the league you would like to acquire this year to help us with a run at the title, and better yet at the Memorial Cup. I wouldn't mind sending a prospect and a roster player to a re-building Moose Jaw team for Broda.

ndogg_44
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
they got that young d-man thats going to the juniour camp as well id like us to get!!!

WHEATMAN
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Who would you guys see right now in the league you would like to acquire this year to help us with a run at the title, and better yet at the Memorial Cup. I wouldn't mind sending a prospect and a roster player to a re-building Moose Jaw team for Broda.

Broda? is he not a 19 year old? If anything we need an 18 year old stud defenceman who will be around next year, who would fit that bill though? I'm not sure.

ndogg_44
12-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Yea that guy im talking about is Travis Hamonic hes good id love for us to get him!!!

WHEATMAN
12-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah I would like Hamonic, but we would have to give up alot to get him. Likely something in the neighbourhood of a 2nd round pick, Depape and another list player.

#1fan
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah I would like Hamonic, but we would have to give up alot to get him. Likely something in the neighbourhood of a 2nd round pick, Depape and another list player.

Why not Stone and King for someone like Doyle or Mollie

sbtatter
12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Why not Stone and King for someone like Doyle or MollieDoyle is not worth what Stone will do for us in the future

Section Eight
12-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Doyle is not worth what Stone will do for us in the future

No question this would hurt a bit this year but why not any two (2) of; King, Jefferies, Cowan, Lewadniuk, or Green (none of whom will not play for the Wheaties next year) and Fehr (free's up a 20 year old spot for next season) for a top CHL player like Dana Tyrel?

Hate to lose a player like Fehr but with the season Prince George is having my bet is Tyrel is available for the right price.

Joe Hallenback
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Its really hard to say who or what to get for next season because alot can happen between then and now

If you look at who will be here next season

Schenn
Glennie
Fehr
Green
Lewadniuk
Stone
Hall
King
Cieralli
Hale

For sure these guys will be back. Gives 2 really good scoring lines again. 3 guys to take up the 20 year old spots as well

Calvert
Cowan
Jefferies

I am not sure if Calvert is classifeid as a 20 year old at this point or not. If he is It is most assuredly that Columbus will have in play in the AHL. If not then he will be back. Cowan and Jefferies are off the boat due to be 20 and not having the roster spots

Wilson
Swyripa
Depape
Sinatynski

Two 16 year old Rookies who so far are projecting well. Two 17 year old Rookies whom I think are playing well. Sinatynski is just a great 13th round pick right now. I think he has a shot next year

Robak
Schneider
Melynchuk
Bestland
Robidoux
Miller

A pretty decent group of defencemen for next season as well

Aulie
Erhardt
Fransoo

Again Aulie as a 20 year old is almost certain to be in the AHL. Erhardt comes in as a 17 year old rookie and Fransoo as the bench 16 year old.

Hayes
Priestner

Im not sold on either yet

Liston

16 year old. Probably will end up back in midget but you never can tell

The reality is that we can use 1 forward,1 Defenceman and a top notch goalie. Now we may get lucky and find those with Imports. Attracting 2 top quality imports will be much easier with the gurantee of playing in the Mem cup. I think Gotovets who we drafted last year will end up coming up over if he is drafted this upcoming draft which is a possiblity.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Calvert is an '89. He is going to be gone next year.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Calvert is an '89. He is going to be gone next year.

Not necessarily.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Any other year I would say he is going pro though. He is getting world junior consideration (probably wont make it but still on the short list), and columbus kind of sucks so the farm team might be easier to crack.

The fact that Brandon has the memorial cup coming might be a reason for the blue jackets to keep him down here in the WHL. But I still wouldnt be so sure about him returning if Calvert has a really good pro camp.

gowheaties
12-10-2008, 05:29 PM
as far as 20 year olds go aulie, calvert and fehr will be the 20 year olds next year guarenteed. aulie and calvert wont crack the nhl they will stay with ahl teams for a little while but then they will be back because brandon is hosting the mem cup and everyone knows that calvert and aulie would love to play in it. As for cowan, jefferies, and green they cant quite cut it as 20 year olds on the wheatkings but green can probably make another whl squad when he is traded. cowan and jefferies are real good grinders for us this year and i think cowan has shown that he can do alot of the little things right but i dunno wether they can cut it as 20 year olds in the dub. I think jefferies would rather go to daupin be on a winning team, get a ton of playin time and play in the rbc cup then ride the pine say somewhere like chillawak as a 20 year old.

Brandonite
12-10-2008, 06:57 PM
as far as 20 year olds go aulie, calvert and fehr will be the 20 year olds next year guarenteed. aulie and calvert wont crack the nhl they will stay with ahl teams for a little while but then they will be back because brandon is hosting the mem cup and everyone knows that calvert and aulie would love to play in it. As for cowan, jefferies, and green they cant quite cut it as 20 year olds on the wheatkings but green can probably make another whl squad when he is traded. cowan and jefferies are real good grinders for us this year and i think cowan has shown that he can do alot of the little things right but i dunno wether they can cut it as 20 year olds in the dub. I think jefferies would rather go to daupin be on a winning team, get a ton of playin time and play in the rbc cup then ride the pine say somewhere like chillawak as a 20 year old.
Yeah your absolutely right about Jefferies! He has always been just a typical average player that really was always replaceable! As far as next year for him, he would be much better off going to Dauphin for sure. They are hosting the cup and his experience would be huge with the guys Jefferies has played beside during his time in Brandon. I cant see anyone wanting Cowan neither especially as a 20 year old but Green will for sure find a home in the dub. But 20 year olds in the Dub like Jefferies, Dietrich (Portland) & Caliguri (P.G.) would much rather be better off going to a winnig squad and playing MUCH MUCH bigger roles then they ever have or will in the WHL. Jefferies is just a 4th liner at best and Dietrich should have always been in Junior A from the start.

Vik
12-11-2008, 12:50 AM
as far as 20 year olds go aulie, calvert and fehr will be the 20 year olds next year guarenteed. aulie and calvert wont crack the nhl they will stay with ahl teams for a little while but then they will be back because brandon is hosting the mem cup and everyone knows that calvert and aulie would love to play in it.
The Memorial Cup will not play into it. They'll be where ever Calgary and Columbus feel will best serve their development. If that's the WHL, lucky us, but I wouldn't count on it.

Joe Hallenback
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
News Flash most 20 year old draftees who sign a contract spend that year in the AHL

Its almost certain that Calvert will sign as he had a very good training camp with the Jackets. Aulie is having a really good season and the flames will want to get him under wraps as well.

The only exception to drafted players who are signed are Goaltenders and that has to do with limited space on farm teams more than anything.

Now looking at who might be available and at a good price lets take a look

Goaltending. Unless a rookie comes in and just takes control it's almost certain we will be looking for a goalie.

Out of all the ones that might be available the name that seems to make the most sense is

Torrie Jung
Hes a really quality goalie and he is playing really well for the Oil Kings this season. He would be 20 next year and would take up a 20 year old spot but its a key position. Why would Edmonton give him up then? They got there goalie of the future already in Cam Lanigan and a capable backup in Dalyn Flette.

What would have to give up? If we went out this year and traded for him probably a mid round pick. If we wait probably nothing as Edmonton will keep Nicol,Breitkruez and McCallum as its 20 year olds next season

I think this makes sense. Jung is in Edmonton right now because Lanigan might not be ready to be a starter. I think he has proven that he can be a starter and the Oil Kings may look to move Jung at the Deadline to pass torch to him.

wango tango
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
this is a tricky year for kelly. he has a team that can make some noise this year, but he can't empty the cupboard for this season, because the wheaties have a spot in the memorial cup as host next season.

what the team needs right now:

one top six forward (like tyrell in pg) to help open things up, and take some of the load off of the schenn-calvert-glennie line.

one depth defensive defenseman. with aulie at the wjhc's this need will get more obvious.

an upgrade in goal. neither hayes or priestner are ready for primetime right now. priestner with time could be the guy next season.

wheaties89
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Any other year I would say he is going pro though. He is getting world junior consideration (probably wont make it but still on the short list), and columbus kind of sucks so the farm team might be easier to crack.

The fact that Brandon has the memorial cup coming might be a reason for the blue jackets to keep him down here in the WHL. But I still wouldnt be so sure about him returning if Calvert has a really good pro camp.

if a team in the nhl is not good it usually means they are gettin good draft picks and stockpiling them and trying to rebuild. columbus has tons of good young forwards as mayorov and filitov in there minors so odds are the farm team is probably harder to crack

Section Eight
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
this is a tricky year for kelly. he has a team that can make some noise this year, but he can't empty the cupboard for this season, because the wheaties have a spot in the memorial cup as host next season.

what the team needs right now:

one top six forward (like tyrell in pg) to help open things up, and take some of the load off of the schenn-calvert-glennie line.

one depth defensive defenseman. with aulie at the wjhc's this need will get more obvious.

an upgrade in goal. neither hayes or priestner are ready for primetime right now. priestner with time could be the guy next season.

You've nailed it. To make room for a guy like Tyrell we'll have to lose another 19 year old (assuming Aulie and Calvert are back as 20 year olds) and that makes 3 legit forwards; Green, Lewadniuk and Fehr all expendable. Trade them now and close some of the holes for next year or give them away for virtually nothing next October.