PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday

Scout
12-11-2008, 05:24 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

THE MacBETH REPORT: F Garrett Prosofsky (Saskatoon/Prince Albert/Portland) signed with Bremerhaven (Germany 2.Bundesliga). He started the season with the Rapid City Rush of the Central Hockey League, getting three goals and three assists in 11 games. . . . D Jason Lundmark (Moose Jaw), released earlier this month by Dresden (Germany 2.Bundesliga), has signed a short-term contract with Rosenheim (Germany Oberliga). His contract initially runs until Jan. 19, when it will be determined if the team will sign him for the rest of the season.
———
The Vancouver Giants are poised to announce Thursday that Canadian singer Michael Buble has joined their ownership group. Vancouver radio station CKNW reported Wednesday that Buble will get a minority stake from majority owner Ron Toigo. A news conference is to be held Thursday and Buble is to be in attendance. Buble, 33, and Toigo also are involved in the development of a Vancouver-area golf course.
———
JUST NOTES: The Prince George Citizen is reporting that the Cougars are “expected to name Jeff Battah as the new assistant coach in the coming days.” . . . A former goaltender coach with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Battah is in his first season as GM/head coach the AJHL’s Drayton Valley Thunder. . . . F Wacey Hamilton of the Medicine Hat Tigers expects to return Friday against the Silvertips in Everett. He has been out with a shoulder injury since Nov. 12. . . .
———
The Saskatoon Blades have slashed ticket prices to $5 across the board for a Tuesday visit by the Calgary Hitmen, one of the best teams in the WHL. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is for this one because it’s also Global Toque Toss night — fans throw toques, mitts and scarves after the Blades’ first goal — and it’s also Rain Check Night when fans can trade in unused tickets. . . . By the way, the Blades used to have a Teddy Bear Night. They switched in 2006 and now ask for winterwear. “Teddy bears don’t keep people warm,” Trent Coghill, the Blades’ director of business operations, told Cory Wolfe of the Saskatoon StarPhoenix. “This is Saskatchewan and toques, mitts and scarves help kids out.”
———
F Keegan Dansereau scored his fourth goal of the game with 44 seconds left in the third period to give the Swift Current Broncos a 7-6 victory over the host Prince George Cougars. Swift Current, which was opening a B.C. Division tour, was 4-for-5 on the PP; the Cougars were 2-for-6. . . . Dansereau, who also had an assist, has 19 goals this season. . . . Swift Current had played Tuesday night in Edmonton where they lost 6-3 to the Oil Kings. . . . Prince George was without F Corey Tyrell (rotator cuff). He was injured in a practice collision with his brother, Dana. . . . F Evander Kane had four goals and an assist to lead the Vancouver Giants to a 7-3 victory over the visiting Seattle Thunderbirds. Kane has 47 points, including 22 goals, in 27 games. . . . Seattle remains without F Prab Rai (groin), its leading scorer. He has missed four games. . . . C Casey Pierro-Zabotel added a goal and two assists for the Giants, with F Garry Nunn and D Jonathon Blum getting three helpers each. . . .
———
The host Saskatoon Blades scored three times in the game’s first four minutes and went on to a 5-1 victory over the Brandon Wheat Kings. . . . The Wheat Kings lost four players to injury during the game — D Darren Bestland (ribs), RW Scott Glennie (charleyhorse), LW Matt Calvert (back) and D Mark Schneider (ankle). Glennie and Bestland left in the first period, Calvert in the second and Schneider in the third. . . . The Kootenay Ice built up a 7-0 lead and went on to an 8-3 victory over the visiting Kamloops Blazers. It was the first time this season the Blazers gave up more than seven goals. The Ice held a 50-17 edge in shots. F Dustin Sylvester had two goals for the Ice. . . . Kamloops F Kenton Dulle had a goal to run his point streak to 14 games, the longest active streak.

Scout

canes77
12-12-2008, 02:43 AM
———
JUST NOTES: The Prince George Citizen is reporting that the Cougars are “expected to name Jeff Battah as the new assistant coach in the coming days.” . . . A former goaltender coach with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Battah is in his first season as GM/head coach the AJHL’s Drayton Valley Thunder. . . .
———

Great pick up by PG...but can someone clarify something, Jeff is allowed to just get up and leave the AJHL team in the middle of the season (with 2.5 yrs left on his contract), leaving them without a GM and Head Coach?

Will there be a penalty or is this option part of many coaching contracts in Tier 2? Nothing against him, I thought Jeff was great when he was in Leth, but I do feel bad for the DV Thunder in their loss.

Thanks

Scout
12-12-2008, 05:46 AM
I doubt it. Most guys have an escape clause in their contract where they can move up and are not penalized. They would not be able to move to another team in the same league midway through their contract without being penalized but because its a league above where they are coaching now there should be no problem.

Scout

Bocephus
12-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Great pick up by PG...but can someone clarify something, Jeff is allowed to just get up and leave the AJHL team in the middle of the season (with 2.5 yrs left on his contract), leaving them without a GM and Head Coach?

Will there be a penalty or is this option part of many coaching contracts in Tier 2? Nothing against him, I thought Jeff was great when he was in Leth, but I do feel bad for the DV Thunder in their loss.

Thanks
I hear you 77. I would be irrate if I was the DV Thunder.

localguy
12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I hear you 77. I would be irrate if I was the DV Thunder.
not too irate they have only won a whopping 5 games with him at the helm.