PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Trade in Dub History

Beaner
04-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Had a good laugh about this last night in the chat room, and for those of you who didnt know about it, here it is.

from http://www.seattlehockey.net/breakers/breakers.htm

In January of 1983 the Breakers made what is undoubtedly the strangest trade in the history of hockey. Seattle owned the rights to forward Tom Martin, who was playing with the University of Denver. They traded his rights to the Victoria Cougars "for a used bus and future considerations" (quote from Total Hockey, 2nd ed.). When asked about the trade years later, Breakers owner John Hamilton stated "It may have been the best deal I ever made." What did Martin have to say about the deal? "I heard the bus was a really nice one."

And here's the link to Tom's stats - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/data05/00003435.html

Got 75 points that year for the Cougs, played 92 games in the NHL, and a lot of minor league time.

No idea how the Bus did. :laugh:

Flathead
04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Never heard that one before, good for a chuckle, thanks!

Rebels_chick
04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Lmao, I've never heard that one before, thanks for that!

Sput
04-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Maybe some of the older Blades fans can help me out with this one. I think it was the Blades and Brandon(?) that made a two or three player deal back in the late 70's early 80's that had players going one way and cash and a used skate shapener going the other way. I only remember this because of the uproar it caused with league office.

Wingnut
04-21-2005, 10:46 AM
The owner of Victoria Cougars had the bus in the US and didn't want to pay the Canadian import duties and taxes to bring the bus into Canada. So he kept it in the US.

Seattle had just had their bus break down. It wasn't the first time that season and they needed something more reliable.

Tom Martin, who forever went by and answered to the nickname "Bus" as a result of this trade, was not happy at the University of Denver and wanted to come home and play. Home was Victoria.

It was a "win-win-win" for everyone involved.