PDA

View Full Version : Schenn and Calvert

CrazyGeorge
12-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Schenn and Calvert not make Team Canada. I though Schenn was a lock.

sbtatter
12-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Aulie made it, Calverts injury from the hit in Swifty meant he wasn't able to skate in any on ice workouts.
They only took one 91. Ellis from Windsor. Hopefully Schenn comes back and works hard to prove he belongs on the team next year.

Toswammi
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Aulie made it, Calverts injury from the hit in Swifty meant he wasn't able to skate in any on ice workouts.
They only took one 91. Ellis from Windsor. Hopefully Schenn comes back and works hard to prove he belongs on the team next year.
Schenn will be there next year, i would think that is almost a guarantee

dagley
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
It's a little disappointing, but it's also good news. Sure, I wish all three of them would have made the team but unfortunately not. I think Schenn will be a lock for the team next season, and hopefully he will come back and have a huge second half and show them that they made a mistake. Schenn is such a complete player, he can put points on the board, he is physically dominate even with his "small" frame and is willing to go work for his points. I really think Calvert would have made the team, he is good offensively and defensively and can play 5 on 5, PK and PP. It's all good, looking forward to them in the second half.

Vik
12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Well shut my mouth. How did Keith Aulie make this team?

wheaties89
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
keepin 8 defenceman and the injury to cuma definatly helped aullies odds

BSB
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
keepin 8 defenceman and the injury to cuma definatly helped aullies odds
The 8 d'men was my original reaction as to how Keith made it as well. However, per reading the internet today, it appears that Keith is currently pencilled in to be on the 2nd defensive pairing with Myers and they are to be the shut down defensive pairing. Hopefully that ends up being the case and Keith performs well. This can be huge for his development and is surely going to make our team stronger defensively for the next 1 1/2 years once he returns from this experience.

sbtatter
12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
The 8 d'men was my original reaction as to how Keith made it as well. However, per reading the internet today, it appears that Keith is currently pencilled in to be on the 2nd defensive pairing with Myers and they are to be the shut down defensive pairing. Hopefully that ends up being the case and Keith performs well. This can be huge for his development and is surely going to make our team stronger defensively for the next 1 1/2 years once he returns from this experience. I have a nagging feeling that he won't be here next year, AHL bound. Same with Calvert. That with leave us with Fehr, Green and Lewadniuk as our overagers.
Congrats to Aulie by the way! Looking forward to Schenn bearing down in the 2nd half of the season now....

Joe Hallenback
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Aulie played really physical during the scriminages. His strength was noticeable as he was fairly dominate down low.

Schenn after a great first game was really quiet the next two. He was physical but had trouble putting the puck into the net and generating any scoring chances. Hopefully he comes back and puts up big numbers

Poor Calvert was never able to get on track with his injury but getting an invite was pretty good for a guy who never gets any credit

This was relayed to me by a friend who was at the games each day

Vik
12-15-2008, 09:28 PM
The 8 d'men was my original reaction as to how Keith made it as well. However, per reading the internet today, it appears that Keith is currently pencilled in to be on the 2nd defensive pairing with Myers and they are to be the shut down defensive pairing. Hopefully that ends up being the case and Keith performs well. This can be huge for his development and is surely going to make our team stronger defensively for the next 1 1/2 years once he returns from this experience.
Him with Myers is a good contrast of styles.

Did they do special teams at the camp? Because one thing I can't stand about Aulie is how weak his clearing attempts are. I can't remember him ever getting it past the dman.

And yeah, I don't know why so many people here seem to think Aulie will be back next season. Especially after he's named one of the top 8 junior dmen in Canada.

BSB
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Under normal circumstances, I would agree that chances would be slim that both of these guys would be back next year. However, with the guarantee of playing in the Mem Cup, it's not normal circumstances. Who knows how Calgary and Columbus will look at the situation, but the chance of playing in the Mem Cup has to be looked at as being good for their development. However, if they go to their respective AHL camps next year and shine, we likely won't see them back.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Under normal circumstances, I would agree that chances would be slim that both of these guys would be back next year. However, with the guarantee of playing in the Mem Cup, it's not normal circumstances. Who knows how Calgary and Columbus will look at the situation, but the chance of playing in the Mem Cup has to be looked at as being good for their development. However, if they go to their respective AHL camps next year and shine, we likely won't see them back.

The players have a say in that decision as well, and if Aulie wants that opportunity, Calgary and their AHL affiliate aren't going anywhere, so he can have his cake and eat it too.

Vik
12-17-2008, 01:51 AM
The players have a say in that decision as well, and if Aulie wants that opportunity, Calgary and their AHL affiliate aren't going anywhere, so he can have his cake and eat it too.
If they have him signed, not so much.