PDA

View Full Version : Game 36 @ Vancouver

Scout
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
TUESDAY'S GAME: The Swift Current Broncos play the Vancouver Giants for the only time this season.

Tonight’s game is the 5th of 7 straight games on the road for the Broncos...The Broncos are coming off a 2-0 win over the Blazers in Kamloops Saturday night...The game’s first goal came midway through the third period as Cody Eakin, in his first game back from injury, scored his 9th of the season...Taylor Vause would add his 6th of the year into an empty net to secure the victory for the Broncos...Travis Yonkman made 28 saves for his first shut-out of the season and improves to 10-4-0-1 on the season...The Broncos went 0-3 on the power-play but held the Blazers to 0-6 on the man advantage...It was the Broncos third straight win on the BC Division trip.

NUMBERS: Keegan Dansereau leads the Broncos with 18 goals and 33 points...Dansereau has 8 goals and 14 points in his last 9 games, he also leads the team with 9 multi-point games…Eric Doyle leads the team with 25 assists and is second in scoring for WHL defenseman with 32 points...Doyle leads the Broncos with a plus 19 rating…Matt Tassone has points in 10 of his last 11 games...He has 14 points, including 10 goals in those games...Tassone has goals in 8 of his last 10 games…Justin Dowling has points in 5 of 6 games, he has 9 points in those 6 games…Travis Yonkman has won three straight starts in goal and has given up only one goal in his last 2 games…Mark Guggenberger is 4th in the WHL in save percentage with .915…The Broncos are 12-1 when leading after two periods…The Broncos have not been shut-out in a league best 114 games…Spencer McAvoy has 6 assists in his last 5 games and points in 8 of his last 12 games. Keegan Dansereau leads the team with 20 points on the road…Taylor Vause leads all rookies for Swift Current with 13 points on the season.

ON THE ROAD: The Broncos are 9-8 on the road and have won 4 of their last 5 away from the Credit Union i-plex.

VS. BC DIVISION: The Broncos are 3-0 vs. the BC Division with the wins in Prince George (7-6), Kelowna (3-1) and Kamloops (2-0).

REGULAR SEASON VS. Vancouver: Tonight is the lone meeting this season between the Broncos and Giants...The Broncos were defeated 2-1 in the only meeting last season...Swift Current is 2-5-1 vs. Vancouver over the last 5 years and 0-2-1 at the Pacific Coliseum over that span.

MILESTONES: Head Coach Dean Chynoweth picked up his 250th career win on Saturday, he is 5th among active coaches for all-time wins…Eric Doyle is 10 assists shy of 100 for his career…Keegan Dansereau is 7 points shy of 200 for his career…Matt Ius is 2 games shy of 100 for his career.

SPECIAL TEAMS: The Broncos power-play is 34 for 168, 20.2% (6th) and the penalty kill is 82.6%, giving up 30 goals on 172 tries (9th)...The Broncos have given up 6 short-handed goals...Matt Tassone has scored the Broncos lone short-handed goal.

UNDER-17 CHAMPIONSHIP: Broncos forward Christian Magnus will represent Team West and Broncos assistant coach Tim Kehler will be the Head Coach for Team Pacific at the Under-17 Championships in Alberni Valley BC at the end of the month.

ROSTER: The Broncos roster currently consists of 25 players...The team has 4 – 20 year old players, 6 – 19 year old players, 6 – 18 year old players, 7 – 17 year old players, and 2 – 16 year old players…There are 5 BC born players on the Broncos roster: Joel Rogers (Abbotsford), Matt Ius (Pitt Meadows), Geordie Wudrick (Abbotsford), Brad Hoban (Victoria) and Grant Toulmin (Langley).

INJURIES: Matt Ius (Hip) and Jesse Dudas (knee) are out of the lineup.

UPCOMING GAMES: The Broncos play Chilliwack on Wednesday...It is the last game before the holiday break.

DRAFTED BRONCOS: Ryan Molle (New Jersey ‘07)…Matt Tassone (Dallas ’08)...Geordie Wudrick (LA ’08) .

Scoutg

old_time_hockey
12-16-2008, 10:58 PM
TO BAD SOME CANNOT TAKE IT !!!!

Dec. 3rd/08
Pats 2 @ Giants 4 - F (http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1005572)
1. VAN Kennedy, (1) (Basford, Regner), 14:50
1. VAN Kane, (16) (Nunn, Pierro-Zabotel), 18:26
3. VAN Manning, (5) (Piluso), 5:51 (SH)
3. VAN Kane, (17) (Wright), 13:25 (SH)
3. REG Delahey, (4) (MacAngus), 18:15 (PP)
3. REG Hricina, (5) (MacAngus, Cerveny), 19:19 (PP)

Giants had 1PP compared to the Pats 6. Matt Kirk did his best to stick it to the Giants and help the Pats but the Giants still punted them...with 2 SH goals to boot.

I hope you can take it.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
: ' (

Regardless, WHEN you lose tonight, you will only have 2 games at hand to potentially be only 4 points ahead. Not much to brag about.

And at least you arent losing 9-1 at home like the oilers are to the black hawks.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Dec. 3rd/08
Pats 2 @ Giants 4 - F (http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1005572)
1. VAN Kennedy, (1) (Basford, Regner), 14:50
1. VAN Kane, (16) (Nunn, Pierro-Zabotel), 18:26
3. VAN Manning, (5) (Piluso), 5:51 (SH)
3. VAN Kane, (17) (Wright), 13:25 (SH)
3. REG Delahey, (4) (MacAngus), 18:15 (PP)
3. REG Hricina, (5) (MacAngus, Cerveny), 19:19 (PP)

Giants had 1PP compared to the Pats 6. Matt Kirk did his best to stick it to the Giants and help the Pats but the Giants still punted them...with 2 SH goals to boot.

I hope you can take it.

Better than 7-1...

And a similar thing happened last year to the giants. If not for two equally bogus 5 on 3s at the end of that game, the giants would have lost 5-0 to the pats. Balances out a bit since the pats got 2 bogus pp goals that game too...

Lucky for you the giants own the league. Maybe when they start losing next year they will pick up a couple more star players out of the BCHL so they can win again.

Toswammi
12-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Better than 7-1...

And a similar thing happened last year to the giants. If not for two equally bogus 5 on 3s at the end of that game, the giants would have lost 5-0 to the pats. Balances out a bit since the pats got 2 bogus pp goals that game too...

Lucky for you the giants own the league. Maybe when they start losing next year they will pick up a couple more star players out of the BCHL so they can win again.

Oh don't go insinuating that the big market teams can get supposed "college holdout kids" because we all know that is a lie, and they don't get any sort of preference :spineyes:

observer9
12-17-2008, 12:46 AM
GAME AT VANCOUVER -

OUCH !!!!!

You just worry about getting the penalties up on the board at the Brandt Center without screwing it up every time and blowing the horn to call the refs over.

"Excuse me Mr. referee, because I'm a dumbass I accidentally put up :24 for the penalty to Brett Leffler for the third time tonight. Yes I know he's #24 and the penalty is for 2:00 minutes but just can't wrap my old man brain around it...... HONNNNKKKKKKKK"

You and dufus in the box should have been sent packing a long time ago. Games would be 15 min quicker if they had a competent pair in there. Instead they have donkey and dumbass. Take your pick....

rinkrat
12-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Maybe when they start losing next year they will pick up a couple more star players out of the BCHL so they can win again.

People have been saying the Giants will start losing for 5 years.
b) Since when is it against the rules to list a player in Western North America?

Scout
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Keen's Korner

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Giants 8 Broncos 1

One of those nights...

And you can't afford to have them against a real good team or else this is the result.

I don't think it was an 8-1 game but then again the Giants deserved this one and the Broncos surely didn't.

I won't get into a recap because it would take too long. The G-men scored nine seconds a part 12:30 into the first period and the flood gates opened.

The Broncos were just too willing to react rather than initiate tonight and that was just the start of it. That, and the fact every time the Giants put the puck on net it found a way to get by either Travis Yonkman and Mark Guggenberger (Who came in after it was 5-0 in the 2nd)

Even Brent Regner fanned shot from the blueline somehow found it's way through bodies along the ice. I could have taken a commercial break during the wind-up and been back in time for the goal call.

Good teams get breaks, and the Giants worked for theirs. The Broncos didn't. Cody Eakin's shorthanded goal late in the 2nd period was the lone goal on 19 shots.

The Bronco defense has had better nights too.

The Broncos are now 3-2 on their swing and have a chance tomorrow night in Chilliwack to be 4-2 and head home fairly happy with the six game trip.

It won't be easy. The 'Wack is playing some of their best hockey of the year right now but not necessarily getting the results.

Have a good night,

Jon
www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout

sbtatter
12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
No shame in that result. We were owned by the Giants in there, just the scoreboard didn't reflect their domination. How do our 2 organizations get to be as consistent and hardworking as Vancouver?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Since when is it against the rules to list a player in Western North America? Its not, but the giants did not previously have zabotel or nunns rights before they decided they didnt want to play college. They are list players in the sense that the giants didnt draft them, but they werent on the teams protective lists previously, they both were just picked up the team the instant they changed their minds.

How is it fair that a perennial powerhouse team happens to get both of these players without losing anything just because of location and being a big city team? Either every single other team is too stupid to put their names in the fold or there was something else involved, like money. Teams in saskatchewan or any small market teams have no chance of getting these BCHL college bound guys who will 90 percent of the time only play for big name teams or teams in BC if they play WHL hockey.

I know it isnt against the rules, but I see it as an unfair advantage that BC teams (especially vancouver) have. Vancouver was destined for mediocrety last season (at least like regular rebuilding teams) until they picked up 2 star players for free. They will probably do the same thing again when they start losing their top players so they dont lose for another 5 years.

GF71
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Its not, but the giants did not previously have zabotel or nunns rights before they decided they didnt want to play college. They are list players in the sense that the giants didnt draft them, but they werent on the teams protective lists previously, they both were just picked up the team the instant they changed their minds.

How is it fair that a perennial powerhouse team happens to get both of these players without losing anything just because of location and being a big city team? Either every single other team is too stupid to put their names in the fold or there was something else involved, like money. Teams in saskatchewan or any small market teams have no chance of getting these BCHL college bound guys who will 90 percent of the time only play for big name teams or teams in BC if they play WHL hockey.

I know it isnt against the rules, but I see it as an unfair advantage that BC teams (especially vancouver) have. Vancouver was destined for mediocrety last season (at least like regular rebuilding teams) until they picked up 2 star players for free. They will probably do the same thing again when they start losing their top players so they dont lose for another 5 years.

Actually, both Nunn and CPZ were listed for 2+ years before they joined the Giants. Nunn atteneded camps, but did not play in any preseason games.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Actually, both Nunn and CPZ were listed for 2+ years before they joined the Giants. Nunn atteneded camps, but did not play in any preseason games.

Seriously? Well that would change everything then if thats true...I'll take your word for it.

I guess every team has college players on their protected lists, but Vancouvers actually decided to report...alot of that might have had to do with recent success and the closeness of the location though but I guess thats the way it goes.

GF71
12-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I guess this should be in the Giants forum, but...

CPZ was listed and HEAVILY recruited by the Giants for a couple of years...he only went to the Giants when he couldn't meet the entrance requirements for his school.

Nunn attended a couple of camps and again was heavily recruited. He in fact signed a player education agreement to go to the Giants, but changed his mind and decided to go the NCAA route. His agreement was kept very hush hush. In approaching the time where the paperwork for his scholly needed to be done there is some grey areas. Supposedly a scout from another school found out about Nunn signing the WHL education contract and alerted the NCAA. Some say the Giants "leadked" the info...which seems a bit unlikely...who knows, the truth is out there somewhere...at any rate Nunn was deemed ineledgible to play in the NCAA and viola, he is a Giant.

dondo
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
We drafted Turris and had him on the PPL even though we knew he was going the NCAA route and as GF71 said the other two were already on our PPL when we convinced them to play for the Giants.

CPZ did not have good enough marks to attend (I believe it was Michigan, but I can't remember exactly right now) and wasn't going to be allowed to play there for at least another season. Not sure the specifics on Nunn, but he was on the PPL and as GF71 said he attended some Giants camps.

Last night we scored some very good goals and got lucky a bunch, but if you guys really want to know why the team is so deep and they fight every shift almost to a man, the only answer is Don Hay --

Hay's practices are game level intensity, he demands lots, but rewards those that work with extra time on special teams, on the ice and a few shifts with top linemates. He brings the whole team up by rolling four lines and caring and committing to his fourth liners as much as his top players. There are no individuals, its all about the team.

btw: if any of you are curious as to how the game went feel free to check out my recap on the Giants area of this site.

Broncos looked pretty dangerous in the first ten minutes, but the Giants wore them down physically and their forecheck was suffocating. After two quick goals any momentum the Broncos had went the other way.