PDA

View Full Version : How good is Vancouver?

smackitsakic
12-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Yowzers, they are an unbelievably talented team. Saskatoon saw it when they rolled through Vancouver, and now Swift is feeling the pain too.

See just 9 shots through 2 periods. Van's defense is great (even without Blum) and their offensive is ridiculously potent.

And, yet, still they are not ranked #1 in the nation. No wonder nobody pays any attention to the CHL Top Ten rankings anymore.

Toswammi
12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Well they do have a total of TWO loses this year, and have gotten 59 of a possible 66 points so far this year. Yeah the scary good.

Link Dog
12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I hope this loss has the same result as last year. Last year we lost 2-1 to Van while being outshot 39-21. The similarities that stands out for me is the work ethic of the Giants. It doesn't matter which players hit the ice, the intensity is there and they are all out for the full shift. Shows in their plus/minus from last night, everyone of them was going and producing. After we played them last year we only had four regulation losses and really only crapped the bed that one game in PA (7-2). 8-1 is a tough lesson to swallow but hopefully it pays dividends.

dondo
12-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Interesting because every time I see these guys take the ice I ask myself the same question.

They are on an unbelievable run and I am continually surprised how deep this team is. They are so much fun to watch right now, because they always find a way to compete at a high level, yet seem to still have second gear in reserve for crunch times.. this is something we lacked a bit last year -- the ability to play beyond.

We have lots of fans on other Giants sites who are bemoaning the fact that we don't have any tough guys and its an uphill battle trying to get them to realize that getting size without the skill will push players, who have earned their place in the line-up, to clipboard duty.

I personally have yet to see this team get really man-handled to the point where I feel that our team toughness, like that of Spokane last season, is not sufficient to make a serious run when the games get rougher.