PDA

View Full Version : Player thoughts (forwards)

SectionNDeserter
12-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Now I will give some of my thoughts on the forwards, and what I think their future is with the club.

9 - Tomas Polak - If someone came up to me and told me that he had been playing with a concussion for the last 15 games or so, I would not be at all surprised. He looked like a skilled and edgy forward with some size in training camp, and had a fantastic start, but possibly thanks to yet another concussion (4th?), he has gone back to being a perimeter player. He will likely finish up the year here and return home.

10 - Cody Gross - Has shown some tremendous hands and the ability to move through traffic effectively with the puck. He could be an above average forward, if he competed in more than half the games he is dressed in though. I have a feeling that he could be one of the '89s that sees a change of address before the deadline.

13 - Landon Ferraro - The Rebels leading scorer, and projected late first/early second round NHL pick. Has dominated the game at both ends of the ice. He will continue to be the Rebel's top scorer, until he leaves here at the end of next season....

15 - Carter Smith - Has been a streaky scorer, and is an irritating presence out there at times. Has disappeared for long stretches this season though.

16 - Brennan Wray - One of the few Rebels in the top 2 lines that are not a minus player, which is amazing, when you consider how much ice time he logs, and how many different situations they use him in. Has pretty much converted to a defenseman now, that occasionally plays center (so much so that I almost just put him in the defenseman post), which filled a much needed gap that has been in our blueline for much of the season.

17 - Tyler Penny - Easily our strongest penalty killer, and on many nights our ONLY penalty killer. Has some wheels, but not a lot of finish. I say he stays for now, due to the fact that he is our only player that even looks like he is killing penalties some nights. Is hard to imagine him here as an overage player next season though.

18 - Brett Ferguson - I had this kid pegged for 20 goals by the end of the season. While it looks like he may not reach this imaginary mark that I set out for him, that he is not aware of, he has steadily improved defensively, and is a player that can be tough to play against. He will likely be on one of the top 2 lines next season.

19 - Willie Coetzee - Has some great moves, and has shown a lot of work ethic and shown a lot of second effort. Also it is fun to say his name. He too will feature in the top 2 lines next season.

20 - Josh Cowen - Has struggled at times this season with undisciplined play, but has developed into probably our most irritating player. He will likely be a fixture on the 3rd line next season, and will probably see a lot of penalty killing time.

21 - Cass Mappin - He has dominated the boards in almost every game he has been in this season, and has fooled a few defensemen this season with some deceptive speed. He will most certainly be on the first line again next season.

22 - Cody Esposito - Looked like he really wanted to be here this season, with his play at the end of last season, and in training camp. He was thought of by many to develop into one of the league heavyweights this season, but he handily lost pretty much all of his fights early in the season, and really hasn't fought at all in recent history. I think he is a guy that could be moved before the deadline, as he has been a shadow of the player that was here at the start of the season.

23 - Adam Kambeitz - Hard to believe this guy is only 16 sometimes. I think that he will develop into a heck of a penalty killer, given time. He just has far too much hockey sense not to. He will likely be a 2nd/3rd liner next season.

24 - Connor Redmond - Got a late start on the season due to injury, but has been steadily improving. Watch one of this guy's shifts some time, it is just hit after hit after hit. His offensive game hasn't improved enough to make a call on his future with the team, but I would say 3rd line next season for sure.

28 - Steve Oursov - Missed a big chunk of the season, but has shown some scoring touch since his return. Him continuing to score at the rate that he has since his return will be a boon to this team, as it makes it that much harder for other teams to match lines with them. He will be on the top 2 lines next season.