PDA

View Full Version : Player thoughts (Defense and Goaltending)

SectionNDeserter
12-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Defense:

2 - "Defenseman of the Year" Cullen Morin - He moves the puck up ice well, and makes the odd good play on the powerplay, but his inability to turn to the outside on opposing team's rushes makes him hard to watch defensively. He is also not particularly strong on the boards, or in front of his own net. He will be a #4 or 5 overage defenseman on this team next season, so it may be time for him to move on.

4 - Luke Egener - I have always been his harshest critic, but he has finally put together a respectable season on the ice. He logs tons of ice time, and has played well in his own end this season. Also he is one of the more popular players with the other players, and the media. I would not be surprised to see him working for the team in some capacity after his time is done here.

5 - Tommi Kivisto - He has struggled a bit in adapting to the smaller ice surface, but has logged tons of ice time, and has been steadily getting better with the puck, and shown more poise with it. His puck moving skills are incredible, and he is a great passer. My only knock against him so far, is that he is often wandering around out of position, though he hasn't really been burned a lot because of it so far. Also, if you are not where you are supposed to be as a defenseman, often times you are in a position to contribute to the offense--I think that this will come in time.

6 - Colin Archer - What a smart hockey player. His conditioning has noticeably improved since the start of the season, and he is easily the 'grittiest' Rebel defenseman. I think he will be an excellent overage defenseman in a few seasons.

7 - Alex Petrovic - His skating has improved since the start of the season, and he has a lot more confidence handling the puck. Hard to believe sometimes that he is barely 16 years old. I think he could be one of the more dominant players in the league in a few seasons.

25 - Joel Kot - After missing nearly all of last season, starting to see some flashes of the player he was in the playoffs 2 seasons ago. Of our 'smallish' defensemen, I would say that he is more physical than Morin, and a year younger. I think he will be around for a few more seasons.

26 - Justin Weller - I feel so bad for this kid. Broken leg, misses a good chunk of the season, shortly after his return, breaks his wrist. A return to form from injury will improve this team's dynamics, as we will be able to move Wray back to center. Tough to say where he will end up next year, it will all depend on how missing this much time affects his development.

Goalies:

33 - Morgan Clark - Probably the more agile of our two goalies, but mistakes that an NHL drafted goaltender should not be making lead to soft goals, and he seems to get rattled by the soft goals, and the floodgates just open up. His lack of rebound control is rather alarming as well. Being that he is currently an NHL drafted 18 year old backup goalie, who doesn't appear to have improved at all from this time last season, I think that it is in everyone's best interests to find him a new start somewhere else.

35 - Murray Kuemper - I had some issues with his lateral movement early in the season, but he has improved in that area a great deal since the start of the season. He is a huge goalie, that fills a lot of the net, and has shown some skill with the glove hand as well. I think he will continue to be our starting goaltender this season, and will remain there at least next season.

Red celtic
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I have to agree with your assessment of Weller I feel for the kid with this being his draft year. Our team is starting to come together and we will start to put together some wins for the second half. Looking at your evaluation I have to agree that it would be in the best interests of the team and players if Clark, Gross and maybe Penny were traded before the deadline.

rebel
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
what kind of goalie would we go for a rookie or veteran cause keumper is new in the whl. but he is performing well. do you make him the starter or find a goalie and put him as backup :confused:

SectionNDeserter
12-22-2008, 03:13 PM
The strong depth of the Regina Pats goalies started a chain reaction of goalie 'displacements' throughout the league when Bosch was traded to Moose Jaw. I haven't totally kept up, but I think the most recent one was Mathews to Kootenay to replace Heemskerk. Heemskerk would be a very good pickup, but it seems to me that he left Kootenay over the limited starts he was getting--he probably wouldn't see a lot more here.

Kuemper is on fire right now, and he is single-handedly winning hockey games (like the Kelowna one) for us right now. I would imagine that any goalie coming in would either be a younger 'tender, or an older, journeyman backup goalie.

Arthur Fonzerelli
12-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Heemskerk quit the Ice because he was tired of playing in the dub. Too much travel, too demanding and not fun anymore.

SectionNDeserter
12-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Well that complicates things then, if there is in fact not an extra, recent WHL goaltender kicking around anymore. If he does get moved, it is going to be a complicated deal, and one that we probably won't get a roster player for.

rebel
12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
there is a three man goalie roster in edmonton everret moose jaw spokane tri city and vancouver. but what are the real odds of clark getting traded

Arthur Fonzerelli
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
If you happened to see the Canucks/Ducks game last night, Sportsnet did a short piece on Morgan Clark. Apparently the Canucks, who drafted him, aren't happy with his progress and have made suggestions for improving his game. I would think that if the Rebels would designate Darcy Kuemper as the starter it could motivate Morgan to push himself harder to improve to earn more playing time.
I think Clark can get his game back to last year's levels, and if he can, giving up the future for a backup for Kuemper isn't very appealing.

rebel
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
good point but is i to late for clark at least for the rebels. question when is the trade deadline

SectionNDeserter
12-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I would think that if the Rebels would designate Darcy Kuemper as the starter it could motivate Morgan to push himself harder to improve to earn more playing time.I think Kuemper has started in like 16 or 17 of the last 20 games--I would consider that a pretty clear message. Kuemper is also 7th in the league in Save Percentage, playing on a team in the bottom 5 in the league.

I think Clark can get his game back to last year's levelsTherein lies the problem. He is playing at last year's level. His game stopped improving at around this time last year. He is your prototypical "reflex" goalie--very agile, with a quick glove hand, but his rebound control has always been horrendous for the most part(I would say about 1/4 of the shots against him are rebounds that he has kicked back out into the slot), and he lets in bad goals due to neglecting basic goaltending fundamentals like having your stick down on the ice.

giving up the future for a backup for Kuemper isn't very appealing.At this point, I don't think many consider him to be "the future" of the goaltending on this team. I agree that if they do move him, it is very likely not going to be a lucrative return for the Rebels, but it is really one of those moves that are made for the betterment of the player. I think that much of his issues are psychological, and if he could get past them, he could be a good goalie. It would be a huge accomplishment for the Rebels to claw their way back up and into the playoffs. I don't think at this point that they have the luxury of dividing the starts between two 18 year olds, one who is in the top 7 or 8 goalies (statwise) in the league, and one is is probably in the bottom 5 or 6. Also they would have 2 19 year old goaltenders next season, and will probably have to make a decision on one of them before this time next season anyways.

question when is the trade deadlineI think it is Jan 10th.

rebel
12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
well i think whatever the rebels do it hopefully will be a good next half of hockey and just maybey a playoff birth

sbtatter
12-24-2008, 12:30 PM
well i think whatever the rebels do it hopefully will be a good next half of hockey and just maybey a playoff birth
I'm being a grinch, (but a realistic one!!!) in predicting that you won't capture a playoff berth this season. No way will you catch Regina and Kootenay.....

rebel
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
good to know but you can always hope/dream

sbtatter
12-24-2008, 06:54 PM
good to know but you can always hope/dreamthat's true, with an attitude as good as that I think I'll join you in cheering for the Rebels to make the playoffs (as long as it's not at the expense of the WK's)!!

RDRebelsfan
12-25-2008, 03:46 AM
there is a three man goalie roster in edmonton everret moose jaw spokane tri city and vancouver. but what are the real odds of clark getting traded

what?

no their isn't.

Edmonton has Jung and Lanigan, Flette is injured.

Everett has been using Barrie and Simpson

Moose Jaw has Bosch and Dubyk

Spokane is Tokarski and Reid, Wright only called up because Tokarski is at WJHC

Tri City has been Pickard and Owsley. Martyniuk called up due to Pickard at WJHC

and Vancouver has been rolling with Sexsmith and Tucker.

There really doesn't seem like a feasible team Clark (if dealt) could be dealt too.

Pretty much every team has their goalies, unless looking for an improvement for a back up, I doubt that's what Clark wants though.

SectionNDeserter
12-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Everett has been using Barrie and SimpsonAs I recall, they also recently added former Giants backup Kraymer Barnstable in addition to those two.

There really doesn't seem like an ideal team Clark (if dealt) could be dealt too.The best fit that I can come up with is the Broncos. A Small market team could benefit from the extra cash flow in the form of NHL development money, and they get a goalie that has another 2 seasons in the WHL, rather than adding to what is already a logjam of potential overage players next season (currently 6 '89s on their roster). Clark ends up on a team where he is still the backup, but potentially is the 'big man' next season. Only problem with that is that neither goalie they currently have would really be a perfect fit in Red Deer, as adding a goalie won't be, or likely won't be here next season doesn't seem like a great idea. I don't know where we would get a goaltender that could replace him at the moment though.

RDRebelsfan
12-25-2008, 03:46 PM
As I recall, they also recently added former Giants backup Kraymer Barnstable in addition to those two.

The best fit that I can come up with is the Broncos. A Small market team could benefit from the extra cash flow in the form of NHL development money, and they get a goalie that has another 2 seasons in the WHL, rather than adding to what is already a logjam of potential overage players next season (currently 6 '89s on their roster). Clark ends up on a team where he is still the backup, but potentially is the 'big man' next season. Only problem with that is that neither goalie they currently have would really be a perfect fit in Red Deer, as adding a goalie won't be, or likely won't be here next season doesn't seem like a great idea. I don't know where we would get a goaltender that could replace him at the moment though.

I honestly doubt Barnstable is going to get any playing time over Barrie or Simpson. Unless one of the two suffered an injury.

And I doubt the Broncos would even want Clark when they already have two capable goaltenders as starters.

SectionNDeserter
12-25-2008, 05:08 PM
And I doubt the Broncos would even want Clark when they already have two capable goaltenders as starters.The only issue with their goaltenders, is that one is overage, and one will be overage next season. Most WHL teams prefer to carry two capable goaltenders that are at least 2 years apart in age, to avoid a situation where one of your valuable overage slots absolutely HAS to be occupied by a goaltender (or alternatively, a rookie). It has been speculated since the start of the season that one of their goaltenders would be moved due to this. Also I think that Clark would greatly improve if he were put into a situation (paired with an older goaltender), where he would have a realistic chance to be the starter next season--I don't think he has that in Red Deer now.

What doesn't fit in this trade would be if one of their goalies came the other way. It would have to be some sort of 3-way deal or something.

RDRebelsfan
12-25-2008, 05:22 PM
The only issue with their goaltenders, is that one is overage, and one will be overage next season. Most WHL teams prefer to carry two capable goaltenders that are at least 2 years apart in age, to avoid a situation where one of your valuable overage slots absolutely HAS to be occupied by a goaltender (or alternatively, a rookie). It has been speculated since the start of the season that one of their goaltenders would be moved due to this. Also I think that Clark would greatly improve if he were put into a situation (paired with an older goaltender), where he would have a realistic chance to be the starter next season--I don't think he has that in Red Deer now.

What doesn't fit in this trade would be if one of their goalies came the other way. It would have to be some sort of 3-way deal or something.

I'm sure they'd like to bring up their 2nd round draftee from this season to play. They chose a goalie in the 2nd round.

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Heemskerk quit the Ice because he was tired of playing in the dub. Too much travel, too demanding and not fun anymore.Just got traded to the 'Tips, so much for that eh? ;)