PDA

View Full Version : vs. Calgary

SectionNDeserter
12-28-2008, 01:55 PM
There was some good action in this one, sandwiched between the 1st and 3rd periods, where as one fan put it, both teams appeared to have their 'Turkey legs'. Both teams were short a few top players, and without Morgan Clark and Referee Colby Smith spotting the Hitmen a goal each, this one gets a lot more interesting.

Calgary opens the scoring on the power play after a bad turnover in the corner by Egener ends up back to the point, and Seabrook's shot along the ice beats Clark, because like so many other times this season, he once again doesn't have his stick on the ice for some reason.

In the second period the Hitmen take advantage of the Rebel's horrendous penalty killing once again, and Stone makes it 2-0. "Defenseman of the Year" Cullen Morin beats Snider short side through a screen on the power play shortly after to leave the Rebels down by one after 2.

Hitman sniper Brandon Kozun makes it 3-1 after a point shot deflects off (I think) a Rebel Defender, and perfectly onto Kozun's stick at the side of the net. A few minutes later the Rebels had been putting on some pressure in the Hitmen end, when the puck squirts out of a big scramble in front of the net into the slot, and Archer moves in and just hammers it through everyone, and past Snider to make it 3-2. The Rebels sustained a bit of pressure for the next minute and a half or so, until a lead pass goes to Schultz, who goes in alone and has the puck pokechecked off his stick by a diving Morgan Clark. The Centrium erupts with applause until... Referee Colby Smith points to center ice to indicate a penalty shot..... Merry Christmas! One fight in the 3rd, a lot of wrestling, and it looked initially like they both landed at least one good shot, but they showed the replay afterwards, and I don't think one punch connected by either player... Was disappointed, because Burgart is a tough little dude and Esposito still has a lot to prove.

Who/what I liked in this game;

Cass Mappin - Was one of the few bright spots last night. Backchecked hard, owned the boards for much of the night, and had a few good chances.

Colin Archer - Gets a goal, and was one of two Rebel Defensemen that were participating in this game defensively

Brennan Wray - Led a number of rushes up the ice with the puck, and generated a few scoring chances from the blueline. I worry that his strong and versatile play is going to see some interest in him at the trade Deadline.

Jordie Deagle - His skating worries me, but he seemed to be one of the more 'motivated' Rebel skaters out there last night.

Justin Weller completing a full game without breaking something - Lets hope it is the first of many! Looked a little rusty, but guys just bounce off of him, we need more guys like that.

Really the whole Calgary Blueline - But particularly Postma, Plante and Stone. It was hard to get the puck/forecheckers through these guys.

Calgary's decision to dress their backup goaltender - Calgary has exactly twice as many points as us, and the Rebels are in a rebuilding phase--but despite that, very rarely do you see teams this season not dress their starters against us.

Who/what I didn't like in this game;

Referee Colby Smith - Hands the Hitmen a free goal, then doesn't allow the Rebels to yank their goaltender during a faceoff in the Hitmen end (though his arm was still up). Probably wouldn't have changed the final outcome of the game much, but had there been a competent official in the game rather than him, it would have been a lot closer/more interesting. I am sure there will be some disciplinary action taken by the league against him.

Morgan Clark - Had a good game overall, and made a fantastic play to dive and pokecheck the puck off Schultz's stick on the breakaway--that showed a lot of poise. But really, they teach goalies to have their stick on the ice when they square themselves with the shooter when they are like 7 years old. This free goal the Hitmen opened the scoring with because of his failure to do this once again could have made the difference in the game.

Cody Esposito - Fell down a lot for no reason in this game. Gets a nice 2 on 1 at one point, and just blasts the puck about 4 feet wide on the far side from about 25 ft out, and the puck comes all the way out and down the ice. Doesn't look at all like a tough guy in his fight. I wonder which AJHL team he will be playing for after Jan. 10th?

Cody Gross - Probably had about 32 minutes of ice time--actually played about 1 minute of that. Made several weak/stupid dump-ins with the puck. If that wasn't his last game as a Rebel, it will probably be one of them.

Rebel Penalty kill - Looked ok when they were pressuring the shooters, but as soon as they fell back into that passive box, the penalty kill was over...

Rebrevs
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
First....I always apppreciate your comments SectionNdeserter. I almost always agree with your comments as well. I especially agree with your comments on Morgan Clarke. I just don't get a strong sense of confidence when he is in net. I'm always waiting for the weak goal and it almost always shows up at some point in the game. I didn't agree with your comments on Mappin. I felt he was cruising at times, as was Ferraro. I think Cass is trying to play with a little more control and focus(is this makes sense) This is a good thing, but I some times sense that he isn't giving as much as he could. I agree that he is awesome along the boards, I just don't feel he gets there enough and in time in order to do what he does so well. It was great to see Weller out there. I think he is going to bring a real physical presence, once he gets his legs under him.