PDA

View Full Version : The American media sucks, here's why:

Willis on the Welfare
04-13-2005, 05:42 PM
If you look hard enough you'll find a story online about Al Lucas, a 26 year old lineman in the arena football league who was killed during a game from complications with a spinal injury.

Tragic.

Lucas leaves behind a wife and young daughter.

One can find comfort that he died while doing what he loved most. Making a tackle while playing his favorite game. If only we could all be so fortunate. There is a lesson to be learned. Stay in contact with the ones you love, tell them how much you care WHENEVER YOU LEAVE THEIR SITE. You never know when your number will get called.

Now, why this proves there is no one competant in the sports media:

This post is likely the first you've heard about Al Lucas. A player who died ON THE FIELD. A player who was carted off the field without a pulse and not breathing.

Play resumed after that.

I'm not going to argue about whether it is right or wrong to continue a game after a death. I'll leave that arguement to Bret Hart and Vince McMahon. Just imagine what the media would be doing if this had happened during a hockey game.

This would be a black eye for hockey. For Football it doesn't even make the suppertime sports. Hockey players are labeled as thugs and barbarians. In football, the media is too busy covering the controversy between Terrell Owens and Donovan McNabb to mention one of their own died on the field.

What happened to Al Lucas and his family is tragic.

What's not happening is a huge let down.

Furback
04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
The only time us media touches hockey is when it is in a negative light. When Bertuzzi leveled moore the us media was all over it, It made me sick how hockey is all violent people who know nothing about the game like regis and kelly or that filthy B itch off the view putting in the uneducated 2 cents. even the fat black guy and the skinny white guy on PTI were talking out there asses. Willis as usual you make a great point i think were solemates dude.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Actually, one doesnt have to look too hard to find a story about Lucas dying on the field. It was on every sports website, and it was in every newspaper.

Also, his death has no bearing whatsoever on the supposed "thuggery" of hockey players. I have no idea just what point you think you are making.

Lucas died in a freak incident on what was otherwise a routine tackle. There was nothing dirty about it, no attempt to injure, and no other aggrivating factors like existed in the Bertuzzi incident or the AHL incident last year.

LifelongChiefsFan
04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
The American media is not very good not only in sports, but in society as a whole. You watch the news or open up the paper, and there are never tragic stories or "warm" stories, and if they do happen to have any, they are stuck on the second to last page that no one ever looks at, or the news broadcasters will save 10 seconds at the end of the show to mention it but that's it. The news is always filled with stories that are scary to many people like the guy who kills his family and then himself, or the drunk driver that killed a car full of teenagers etc. I remember watching a report a couple years ago that said Canadians overall are less scared in their daily lives because they don't open up the newspaper and read about the serial killer on the loose somewhere, its not the main story like it would be here in the US. But hey the media is out there to make money and these are the types of stories that will sell the most copies of papers, or get the most viewers. And even though I had heard about Lucas dying, it did take some time before I came across it, and it really is a shame that the media here doesn't do a good job of tracking stories that do matter.

Willis on the Welfare
04-13-2005, 07:06 PM
The only point I'm trying to make is that if a hockey player died on the ice under any situation the US media would be all over it in a negative way. There may have been some ink on Al Lucas, but not nearly as much as Todd Bertuzzi. Granted one was an accident and one was intent to injure, but the American media will crucify hockey at every turn, and football will get out of jail free all the time.

Only in Amercia Mike Danton is doing hard time while Ray Lewis kills people and never misses a game.

RunTheGoalie
04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Honestly, I think you are speaking from a bias that cannot be proven.

As for your final comment, also a meaningless comparison. Danton plead guilty. Lewis did not. How does Ray Carruth fit into your conspiracy theory?

Willis on the Welfare
04-13-2005, 11:12 PM
I think most opinions in this forum are biases that can't be proven.

A football player died on the field. They carted him off and resumed the game. Had that happened in pro hockey there would be a media uproar about a violent game played by thugs.

I hope that my point is never proven.

ScottyWazz
04-14-2005, 03:11 AM
As one in the American media-- per se-- you can't really cancel a game when you don't know the extent of the injury. When they played on, they didn't know how bad off Lucas was when he was injured. They didn't know that he was going to die when he got to the hospital.

Football and basketball seems to be about the "thug" lifestyle. The players live by the "thug" way of life and they are treated as such. No one really bats an eye if they are caught with drugs or provoke violence because people assume that's how they grew up. It's a bad generalization, but it's some that's happening everyday.

Ray Lewis (and I know this from living in Baltimore at the time) ratted out his friends, which is why he got off. Hockey is the red-headed step-child in the US and will always be. It's the sport where fighting is allowed, but when it goes past fighting and into assult; that's when people jump all over it.

Orv
04-14-2005, 03:12 AM
The only time us media touches hockey is when it is in a negative light. When Bertuzzi leveled moore the us media was all over it, It made me sick how hockey is all violent people who know nothing about the game like regis and kelly or that filthy B itch off the view putting in the uneducated 2 cents. even the fat black guy and the skinny white guy on PTI were talking out there asses. Willis as usual you make a great point i think were solemates dude.

Furback you are right on the money my man!!! I steamed when that ***** from the view said "We used to escape to Canada to escape violence, now Canadians have to come to the US to escape hockey". Seriously some of these people have no idea what they are talking about. Don't talk about the good in hockey, only the bad. You will not see this football icident on the View, or Regis and Kelly. What is even worse is on that on the Larry Elder show after the Ron Artest incident in the NBA, they had some analyst blaming hockey for the whole incident!!!

If you don't understand hockey that is fine but don't blame everything in your society that goes wrong on it. What a damn joke.

rinkrat
04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
was Greg Moore...They kept that race going after they knew he died,I was pissed at the time!

Furback
04-15-2005, 09:28 PM
car racing is not a sport its somthing rednecks do to kill time before there kkk meetings.

ScottyWazz
04-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Actually-- Greg Moore was an Indy Car Racer and a Canadian too, if I'm not mistaken.

Plus, those "rednecks" are laughing all the way to the bank with the money they're bringing in and getting out of the sport.

Furback
04-15-2005, 10:20 PM
moore is a canadian who cares canada have rednecks too

ihlemic10
04-16-2005, 12:50 PM
car racing is not a sport its somthing rednecks do to kill time before there kkk meetings.

American car racing is not. If you watch on the Speed Network they have Euro races which have barely modified BMW's racing and turning right...Some of the euro races are really intresting on the road courses. American NASCAR sucks and I am glad they are having problems building a track in my area. If I wanted to see people turing left, I'd watch a traffic circle.

RunTheGoalie
04-16-2005, 01:29 PM

That's very racist of you.

C.F
04-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Moore was from my home-town. He is anything but a redneck.

Billy Blade
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
That's very racist of you.

I don't really see that as "racist" ... since when is a redneck a "race"? He's not promoting the horrifically ignorant kkk movement, it's just a sarcastic joke. Let's try not to be too over-sensitive, political correctness gets a little tiring sometimes.

RunTheGoalie
04-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Bigoted perhaps, if not racist. Personally, I've always included the assumption of racism while lacking evidence of such to be racist in itself. Furback's ignorant joke qualifies, IMNSHO.

Billy Blade
04-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I've actually heard that statement by a couple different comedians, so it's not all that original.

Furback
04-17-2005, 01:13 AM
sorry billy i will try to keep my comments fresh. I was going to break out somthing about a mullet but that is over done as well.

Furback
04-17-2005, 01:49 PM
how is my joke racist I think rednecks are fun to make fun of. Im white I like making fun of ignorant white people im sorry if i pissed off the ultra sensitive that wasnt my intention. I just wanted to make a few people laugh is that so wrong maybe i should just be boring generic and not give opinions that seems to go well in this site.

Jovorock
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I've actually heard that statement by a couple different comedians, so it's not all that original.
Jeff Foxworthy's jokes about rednecks are very funny. Look at Nascar and the way they promote stock car racing, they come out and say their target it the midwest and south where it is redneck country.

No way is calling someone a redneck being racist!

The_Vulk
04-18-2005, 04:33 PM
No way is calling someone a redneck being racist!
BTW: One of the more famous 'Rednecks' is our own Don Cherry, and he is proud of it!

(Said so on the Biography Channel, and even explained what a "redneck" is.)