PDA

View Full Version : Tips Acquire Goalie

Tipped Off
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Posted at 4:46 pm by Nick Patterson Http://www.heraldnet.com

The Tips made a play to upgrade their goaltending by acquiring 18-year-old Thomas Heemskerk from the Kootenay Ice today in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2010 bantam draft.

Heemskerk is a 6-foot, 170-pound native of Chilliwack, B.C. He began the season splitting time in goal for Kootenay with 17-year-old Nathan Lieuwen, compiling a 7-6-2-2 record with a 2.88 goals against average and .887 save percentage, but later left the team, saying his heart wasn't in the game anymore.

Goaltending has been Everett's biggest concern this season, and surely this move was made to address that.

I wish I could give you more -- such as whether Heemskerk will report, or if he's expected to be the No. 1, or how this affects holdovers Shayne Barrie, Kent Simpson and Kraymer Barnstable. However, for some reason the Tips decided not to make general manager Doug Soetaert or coach John Becanic available for comment today. Not sure what that's all about, but it leaves some gaping holes in the story that need to be filled in. ...

Redwic
12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Funny how this move occurred shortly after the Silvertips played in Chilliwack, where Heemskerk resides... I have a feeling he got a chance to see what the Silvertips have to offer him, and he was given an opportunity to tell his side of things to the Silvertips powers-that-be.

My prediction:
Heemskerk will remain with the team while Simpson is away at U-17s. After Simpson returns, Barrie will be traded/waived while Heemskerk will take over in the lead position. Barnstable will be sent back to his lower-level team, as well. Then Heemskerk/Simpson will be the tandem the rest of the season.

Plausible trade scenarios involving Barrie:
1) Shayne Barrie for a 6th Round Pick in an upcoming Bantam Draft.

2) Shayne Barrie and Kyle Beach in a package deal for a quality forward.
(Possible example: Barrie & Beach for Moose Jaw's Joel Broda)

3) Shayne Barrie, Kyle Beach, and another Forward in a package deal.
(Possible example: Barrie, Beach, and Jordan Mistelbacher for Brandon's Matt Calvert, Sanfred King, and a Bantam Draft Pick)